Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Ram 2500 SB w/Tow Prep Owners-Help me!

I just purchased a 2015 Dodg.....sorry they want to be called Ram now, 2500 short bed with the tow prep package. I really want the B&W RVK3600 Companion hitch but I'm worried that I may need a slider. Does anybody have the B&W Companion RVK3600 in a short bed? Clearance issues? Hopefully no dented cabs out there! TIA!

stungjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
We had a Companion hitch in our previous RAM 2500 short bed. Never had a problem. We just knew to keep an eye on the cab when making sharp turns. Never hit the cab and never had a spot we couldn't get into.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
Why not just getting a B&W slider ?
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virginia Young

We had a Companion hitch in our previous RAM 2500 short bed. Never had a problem. We just knew to keep an eye on the cab when making sharp turns. Never hit the cab and never had a spot we couldn't get into.
nice, Thanks!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by catskiner

Why not just getting a B&W slider ?
The RVK3600 drops right into the factory installed mounting points for the Ram.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
I like them but worry about the puck system if that would be strong enough for your trailer weight. I have a short bed Ram 2500 HD went with the Reese 22K no slider short bed have had no problems with turning tight.
Willy Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:11 AM   #6
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Willy Bee

I like them but worry about the puck system if that would be strong enough for your trailer weight. I have a short bed Ram 2500 HD went with the Reese 22K no slider short bed have had no problems with turning tight.
Having seen the under-bed braces on the puck system I can tell you they're quite substantial looking pieces. That being said I have yet to find an actual rating for them. I would assume (you know what that means) the puck system would have to be engineered to out perform the capabilities of the tow rating. Otherwise they would surely display a warning/de-rating. I have read just about every thread that my Google searches have come up with and have found no failure reports.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #7
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stungjoe

Quote:

Having seen the under-bed braces on the puck system I can tell you they're quite substantial looking pieces. That being said I have yet to find an actual rating for them. I would assume (you know what that means) the puck system would have to be engineered to out perform the capabilities of the tow rating on the vehicle. Otherwise they would surely display a warning/de-rating. I have read just about every thread that my Google searches have come up with and have found no failure reports.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:32 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:

With a 2500 he will exceed truck capacity WAY before he exceeds puck capacity. 22k capacity hitch is a huge overkill for a 2500/Montana combo.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #9
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Quote:

With a 2500 he will exceed truck capacity WAY before he exceeds puck capacity. 22k capacity hitch is a huge overkill for a 2500/Montana combo.
Agreed on the overkill but it's B&W's only offering for a direct fit. I also have my eye on the Curt 16045 option. However, the B&W is easier to dis-assemble allowing for a better one-man approach for removing it from the vehicle.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:26 AM   #10
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Quote:

Got the hitch for free so the price was right! And rather be safe then sorry!!!! I drive the interstate highways...
Willy Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Well guys and gals, never go to the candy store with your credit card. I went by Discount Hitch near Arlington, TX. They sell both the B&W and Curt. He had a Curt in stock already assembled with a 20K hitch. He cut me a deal so I now have a Curt Q20 with the Dodge mounting legs sitting in my truck.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When I bought my B&W hitch I called the factory. They sent me one at 40% off with free shipping.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #13
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

When I bought my B&W hitch I called the factory. They sent me one at 40% off with free shipping.
Lynwood
Now you tell me! HAHA

I would have went the interwebs route if I had the time but I will be towing this thing down to Houston this Wednesday so I had to do what I had to do. He actually got me the assembly for only $50 more than the cheapest I found it on-line. Plus his guys had already assembled it and even installed if for me. (OK the install was not very labor intensive but still...)

I was really happy when I hooked-up and brought the landing gear up on the Monty. The truck didn't squat but maybe 2 to 3 inches and the Monty was pretty much dead level sitting there. I measured right at 6" clearance from the top of the bed rails to the underbelly of the trailer. I think that should be OK.