Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Removing paper trim

In the living area and bathroom of our 2006 3400rl we have have a 9" wide strip of paper trim about 36" up from the floor. It appears to be adhesive backed. We want to remove it.
Any suggestions as to how to remove this material and any left over glue without destroying the wallcovering?

Thx
-Steve

sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You could try steaming it off, but I'd bet the luan wall board is so cheap, it could be a project that becomes a disaster in a hurry. Perhaps just find a trim that more suits you and lay it over the existing. Here's a link to another discussion similar to your topic.
http://www.myrvparks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3138
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:10 AM   #3
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Thx for the suggestion.
To be clear, the stuff we want to remove is on top of the luan/vinyl covering.
Its a thick paper, that seems to be sticky backed. Its too wrinkled in places to be covered.
One of the other reasons to remove it, if anyone is wondering, is because its not applied consistently. Its on the kitchen slide walls, but not the other two living area slides. Its missing between the fireplace and the cabinets on the street side, but there between the curbside slide and the entry door.

Perhaps a better question; has anyone found anything that does not destroy the luan/vinyl finish, but might remove a gummy adhesive?
Thx
-Steve
Old 11-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I knew what you were talking about ... most all of us have in in our Montanas ... most all of us have it inconsistently as you describe. What I eluded to was, steam may get the trim paper off, but it may effect the luan wall covering directly beneath it. You might give it a try in the toilet room as it wouldn't be out in the open if the result goes bad.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
goobe gone?
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
The solvent based stuff like Goo Be Gone removes the finish from the vinyl.
But thx for the thought.
-Steve
Old 11-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep we did it in our 2012 and just peeled it off,some came off in big strips some came off in pieces and it did NOT harm the wallpaper behind it in our case but MAN is it hard to remove the residue many hours of goo be gone for sure,thank God our 2015 Monty does not have those wallpaper /boarders/trim
Old 11-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Brakleen is generally color safe and plastic safe, but try in an inconspicuous area for the goo removal. It's a solvent parts cleaner available in most auto parts stores.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I agree, try in an inconspicuous area 1st with whatever you choose.
I suspect the adhesive is water based just like wallpaper.
Keep us posted on what you use and how it worked. Good luck!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:33 AM   #10
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
your talking about the wall borders I think. Just pull it off and use the goo b gone. If you are having a hard time with that use low odor mineral spirits. That glue is not water base and it does take some time to get off. Once it is softened, you have to take a dry rag and rub to get the stuff to roll off. Reapply the glue b gone for a final clean up. Good luck.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #11
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
I think I have found the answer. A little more testing and perfecting the technique and I will report further.

-Steve
Old 03-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Oil-Flo 141 by Titan Labs is the answer. It can be purchased online, I bought it at Clean Mart in Las Vegas.
The technique that worked for me;
Rather than take off any edge trim or window frames, I cut the wall covering. Where it goes behind a slide, its already cut behind the foam gasket.
Use a hair drier warm up the covering. If the luan wall covering starts to wrinkle, its become too hot. Let it cool off before stripping. You only need to use the hair drier for a minute or so.
Peel off the trim. Easy steady pull. In my case (2006 model) it pulled off in one piece. When you get near the seam tape slow down the pull. If you pull off the seam tape, Keystone can supply it. They had no trouble matching our color from the VIN.
Open all windows and spin up any exhaust fans.
Generously damp a rag with Oil-Flo. Wipe down the wall where its sticky. No need to rub hard. Just get the Oil-Flo on the wall. Wait 10 minutes.
Lay some paper on the floor under each work area.
Put on some throw away gloves.
Damp another rag with water, wring it out and start wiping down the wall. The adhesive will start to ball up into very sticky little blobs. Some will stick the rag, some will fall to the floor. Once the rag is covered in blobs, refold it so you are wiping with a fresh surface and keep wiping until the blobs stop appearing.
Take a third rag, damp it with water, wring it out and give the wall(s) a final wipe to get all the Oil-Flo off.
Chuck the paper that caught the blobs falling to the floor.
Leave everything to dry out for a day or two. Throw away rag 2.
Repeat the process using rags 1 and 3. Old rag 3 becomes new rag 2. Use a new rag for the last wipe down.
Two times was enough for me.

Dont be cheap with rags or you end up just moving the blobs around on the wall.
Dont scrub too hard, the Oil-Flo will take the finish off the wall. Just rub hard enough to remove the pencil marks that you will find under the wall covering you have removed.
Store everything outside, away from the door. It stinks. Inside the stink takes about 3 days to disappear.
If you dont use gloves, Zep orange based hand cleaner will take the glue off your skin.

You will be amazed at how much bigger the inside of the trailer looks with this wall trim removed.

-Steve