Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Engine Block Heater Timer with Temperature Control

It is hard to think about cold weather when it it almost 80 degrees today. But I have been thinking all summer about setting up a timer and temperature control for the block heater on my truck. I have a timer and was looking around the internet for a temperature control when I found this Smart Electrician Block Heater with Temperature Control. http://www.menards.com/main/electric.../p-1858552.htm It was only $14.99. We don't have Menards around here so with shipping it will cost me around $23. You can set it only as a timer or you can use the timer and the temperature. The temperature is preset for 14 degrees F and you can't change it. If the unit is below this temp and the timer hits the start time it will turn on and will stay on until the outside temp reaches 19 degrees F or above or the off time is reached. I guess I will find out this winter if it works. I didn't see a watt or amp rating on it but I am assuming it is sufficient for the 1200 watt heater in the truck. I thought those of you that can't escape south for the winter might be interested.

bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've used block heaters for a long time just on an Intermatic timer rated for 1800 watts. It comes on about 3 AM and my Jetta TDI or my Powerstroke is warm and toasty by 7AM when I head for work. I saw the timer you are asking about also at Menards (where you save big money. The temperature part would be pretty useless to me as I prefer to use my block heater in the low 30's just for instant heater operation.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:15 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

I've used block heaters for a long time just on an Intermatic timer rated for 1800 watts. It comes on about 3 AM and my Jetta TDI or my Powerstroke is warm and toasty by 7AM when I head for work. I saw the timer you are asking about also at Menards (where you save big money. The temperature part would be pretty useless to me as I prefer to use my block heater in the low 30's just for instant heater operation.
It would be great if you adjust the temperature settings. I'm at the opposite end from you, I'd like it to come on below zero and shut off at zero.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My employer is 8 miles from home. In the colder months ... neither one of my diesels hardly open the thermostat before I get to work. I've got too many toys in the garage to house both vehicles, so powering up the block heater in the low 30's for instant defrost, deice, or heater is right handy.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I try real hard to avoid using block heaters
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote