Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #21
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I don't think the compensating function will raise the front jacks if the rear sinks in loose ground. The front two jacks work together, as the two left rear jacks are ganged and the two right rear jacks are ganged together. If you park the rig on a side slope, the front jacks will lift the rig out of the hitch, the rig still at an angle. When you push the auto level button, the rear jacks on the low side will extend first and raise the low side up to level the rig. When that happens, the front jacks will shift fluid from the movement of the rig being leveled by the rear jacks. Once it is close, the other side rear jacks will extend, and then the system will finish the leveling in small increments until it gives you the beep, and it is level. When all the jacks are down and the front jacks are adjusting for front to rear level, the compensating function of the rear jacks will shift fluid between the ganged jacks on each side front to rear, but not across from left to right. Hope this helps, and I have not seen this written anywhere, it is just my observation when operating the system for the past 1 1/2 years, and studying the hydraulic plumbing when checking for leaks.

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #22
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
As I mentioned in the other post, our rig has settled over time, but it's more a factor of sinking into softer ground than a problem with the jacks. This occurs even with using pads to sit the rig on.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:04 AM   #23
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Bingo. Let me start by saying "I know nothing about these systems". However, I would re-level everything and then measure the length of each exposed hydraulic piston from the bottom, at the foot, to a point where it enters the cylinder. Then allow it to sit for a few weeks and recheck it. You mentioned the gravel having settled. If all the measurements are the same then I would have to suspect the ground has in fact settled or shifted.

If you find that one or some of the measurements have changed then I would suspect that hydraulic fluid is seeping past a seal somewhere. I say this only because last year, at the rally in Goshen, we had Lippert check a problem where our bedroom slide would not stay closed. I figured the cylinder was faulty. Well, they are the experts.....and I was right. BUT, it was the cylinder under the main slide that was leaking, not the bedroom. They replaced that one and the other one stayed put. (Hydraulics is a weird system to understand, and I don't).

Anyway, just something to think about.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:10 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I am thinking along those lines as well, since from my understanding, it is a self-compensating system, if the rear pads settled in soft gravel, it would make sense that the compensating nature of the hydraulic system would in turn, elevate the front of the rig. I am far from a hydraulic guru, but it does make sense to this simple hillbilly mind. Will do some investigating next weekend.
Bingo
Would not the system have to be powered on for that to happen. We have powered on and checked the system for level here in Florid and it was always dead center level.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:08 AM   #25
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I am thinking along those lines as well, since from my understanding, it is a self-compensating system, if the rear pads settled in soft gravel, it would make sense that the compensating nature of the hydraulic system would in turn, elevate the front of the rig. I am far from a hydraulic guru, but it does make sense to this simple hillbilly mind. Will do some investigating next weekend.
Bingo
Would not the system have to be powered on for that to happen. We have powered on and checked the system for level here in Florid and it was always dead center level.
Not sure Rich? I agree with the power on it makes sense, since if you raise the front, the back goes down at the same time. A good question as to whether the same thing happens when not under power??
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:07 AM   #26
DougnDawn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13665
OK, here is my tid-bit of info, I'm no hydraulics guru either. Our Monty is in a shed with a concrete floor. When I put it away last Nov I did not engage the total level-up process, just lowered the front landing gear, pulled TV out, did a minor manual level front-to-back, pulled the battery. Monty is the same as it was back in Nov.. Doesn't prove to much, just another little piece of info. Reading every ones replies leads me to vote for soft grounds causing the unlevel situation. Take care, interesting tread.
DougnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #27
farmall130
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13857
I wouldn't think anything would move unless there is a hydraulic leak. With the power turned off, the pump couldn't run. We have never had ours appear to move, we park on gravel at home and I put a 8" x 8" piece of 2" thick wood under each foot, I do that everywhere we go with it.
farmall130 is offline   Reply With Quote