Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Bubbling Battery

Checked water levels the other day, and I admit I don't do this as often as I should. The battery nearest the Perko switch was fine the the second battery was REALLY low on water. I put water in it and came back in about 1 1/2 hours and it was really hot and bubbling, the other battery appeared normal. These batteries are only 1 1/2 years old. I have a Perko battery shut off switch(previous owner install) and the second battery is the problem one.

If the charger was acting up it would affect both batteries would it not?? The batteries are Interstate HD24DP installed by the dealer when I purchased the FW. Because we store the FW next to our garage I have it plugged into shore power probably more than I should, so I probably have over ccarged them.I also posted on that other site as I'm looking for as much info as I can get.

We are leaving for Yellowstone on Tuesday, I hope, we should have already been gone but stuff keeps coming up.

Thanks
Ray

Thanks
Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It sounds like your second battery has gone bad - bubbling is not good. Overcharging damages batteries at different rates. I have two batteries myself, and the one loses water faster than the other one, but it is not much and there is no bubbling. But with my recharging/protection/conditioning system, the batteries are still working okay. It just seems like luck of the draw.

I think if one is able to keep meticulous care of the batteries, one may still fail quicker than the other. Unfortunately if the maintenance is not done regularly things can fail sooner.

The recommendation would be to replace both batteries at the same time, but I have heard others that have had success just replacing the bad one if the good one is still in good shape.

There are several (expensive) ways to keep the batteries in good shape from using solar power or shore power with any combination of recharging/monitoring/conditioning products. Checking and keeping the water levels up is typically the most difficult especially if the unit is stored some distance away.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Art, thank you. From what I've learned here and the other forum the best thing is to replace both batteries. My main concern is that the problem wasn't caused by my lack of attention to the batteries but the charger is malfunctioning. I would think if it was a charger issue then both batteries would be affected or at least the front battery not the rear one.

I guess I could buy 2 new ones and really watch them closely and if they start using water try to find a repair shop.

Any thoughts??

Ray
Old 08-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Using water happens, it depends on the battery. I don't know that this can be repaired.

The key will be on maintenance. A charger/conditioner setup that also prevents overcharging is the best bet and if you watch them closely you can check water level. There might even be a way to have a setup that automatically refills the batteries but this depends on how much you want to spend on this (water filler, and pump to keep them filled).

Have fun at Yellowstone. It is a beautiful place.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
You need to read the "Battery Problem...I hope not" on the Repairs and Service thread...lots of good info there.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
So...question is was the water so low that the plates were no longer immersed? I'd get a specific gravity tester and see if it shows a cell out or just off charge cause the water was low. If not damaged it may recover or just be junk now... Sadly, its recommended to not mix new with old batteries as it will fool the charger into supporting the bad battery and kill the good one.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
TLightning, yes I read harleyrider's post and it paralleled my problem but I didn't want to hijack his thread.

noneck when I looked at the battery yesterday the top of the plates looked bad and it took a LOT of water.

So I think it is shame on me for poor maintenance. I am off to Sam's Club tomorrow to get two new batteries.

Thanks Guys

Ray
Old 08-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Your battery may be sulfated. Do a search on the words: sulfated battery.

I added a Battery Minder to my system. When I store it the disconnects are turned to off and the Battery Minder is hooked up.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
NEVER USE PLAIN WATER TO REFILL A BATTERY!
ALWAYS USE DISTILLED WATER.

Too many other chemicals in plain water that can do more harm than good. You can buy Distilled Water at Wal*Mart. It is stocked in the same area as spring water.

Here is a good Battery Tutorial worth reading.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote