Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Dometic Recall fix

I bought my Monty pre-owned. Because of the like new condition of the unit I am assume all recalls and problems were dealt with by the previous owner. Recently I have heard more and more about the Dometic recall, how could I tell if this fix was accomplished previously to my purchase? What was the fix?

Thanks

tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You can get in touch with Dometic. The fix was a effort to fire proof the area on the outside of your unit with some additional shielding and some changes in the wiring harness. Dometic should be able to tell you if the work was done. They should have a record whether they paid for it. Go to the Dometic site and there should be a recall tab.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just so you are aware, Tony, this was a VERY controversial "fix". Many RV organizations/forums are up in arms over this attempt by Dometic to "limit catastrophic damage" to the RV vs replacing the admitted faulty cooling unit. They used to replace these units, but somehow were able to convince the govt it was OK to discontinue this reasonable, but admittedly financially heavy, practice, and substitute this "fix"/mod for what they should have been doing.

Now the shield is to limit the damage to less than catastrophic when it does fail. Make sense? Me neither...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
You can find pictures of the "Fix" on this thread: Dometic Recall

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The Dometic recall consists of a shield being installed over the propane line in the event of a leak from the refrigerator coming into contact with the flame.

The uproar is that there is no recall for the leak itself, that could occur. The complaints being that if the refrigerator fails, the consumer will have to pay for the repair and allevwtate Dometic of the cost of their poor design.

We are in shock the powers-that-be allowed this.

The shield is a 10 minute repair to Dometic, but the cost is in the owners who have to schedule the time to take it to an approved location to get this taken care of. What happened to "The customer is number 1"?

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

The Dometic recall consists of a shield being installed over the propane line in the event of a leak from the refrigerator coming into contact with the flame.

The uproar is that there is no recall for the leak itself, that could occur. The complaints being that if the refrigerator fails, the consumer will have to pay for the repair and alleviate Dometic of the cost of their poor design.

We are in shock the powers-that-be allowed this.

The shield is a 30 minute repair to Dometic, but the cost is mostly with the owners who have to schedule the time to take it to an approved location to get this taken care of. The customer will then have to return if the problem occurs and that will be an unplanned time-consuming, expensive fix. What happened to "The customer is number 1"?

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The other uproar that many, including us, had refrigerator cooling system failures within a month after the "fix" was applied. Our entire cooling unit was replaced under warranty. Dometic claims it had nothing to do with the fix but there sure were a high number of reports of failures within a month of the fix.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
Yup
Had the fix done on my 2005 3400RL last fall after winterizing. Just experienced a leak today. Not real happy. Will be replacing entire unit. Has anyone had any luck getting Dometic to cover some or all of the cost on a 4 year old unit.
mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
If you send me a PM I will give you a contact number to call to get the best price on a new Dometic. That is if you are going to install yourself.
Larry in Olympia
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mikedesj

Yup
Had the fix done on my 2005 3400RL last fall after winterizing. Just experienced a leak today. Not real happy. Will be replacing entire unit. Has anyone had any luck getting Dometic to cover some or all of the cost on a 4 year old unit.
YES and NO... YES, they used to. NO, they don't do that anymore. They hardened their stance when they discovered that 1.) not enough RVers were going to force the govt to force Dometic to do a major recall for their admitted faulty cooling units, and 2.) when they discoverd the govt wasn't going to unilaterally force Dometic to issue a recall.

Well, that about it... I'm all out of good news on this ridiculous Dometic "fix" that was engineered by Dometic "to reduce (or was it "prevent") catastrophic damage" when their unit does fail...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote