Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
2010 3400RL

We have done a PDI on our new unit and have a couple of questions for 3400 or 3665 owners. We have a floor squeak behind the island in several places but is the worst at the end in front of the 4 drawer unit to the left of the sink. Is this a design issue that others have or is it unique to our unit? It appears there is a cooling fan behind the refrig. since it has a side vent due to being on the slide. It has been about 90 deg. F today and it has run quite a bit. Is this normal for the 4 door refig? The cooling fan for the converter was also running today, almost immediately when 3 ceiling lights were on. I'm not surprised the fan came on but only surprised how fast it came on after turning the lights on. Any comments on these 3 issues would be appreciated.

Other than a few cosmetic items (have asked for 32" TV to be replaced due to many scratches (looks like they took a brillo pad to several areas)and the bedspread to be replaced due to a tear)the oven pilot light will not light (no smell of gas when turned to pilot on for an extended length of time) while the burners work just fine. Hopefully the dealer can take care of the stove Monday and we can head for home. It took 2 days to put everything away but the unit is looking good and like home. Love that hickory and the mocha color.

I have did several improvement already that were planned since I had added them to the rig we traded in. I added (1)a new RG6 input to the LR entertainment center (came in behind the desk where the existing coax came in) (based on other posts wish I had some insulation with me that I could have added before closing everything up again) for satellite for the 32". The factory sat/cable input will be for bedroom satellite. In the bedroom added (2)a jumper plate (like the one in the LR) so satellite can be taken off the coax before it gets to the wingard booster. Add to jumper coax to this plate and the unit is ready for cable again. Added (3)110V receptacle below the desk on the RH wall. Tied into the receptacle behind the fireplace. This will be for the printer on the lower shelf and the laptop transformer. Added (4)a 1" cable hole through the top of the desk trimmed with a desk top cable trim ring. This gets all the wires below the desk. Added (5)110V receptacle to stool room so a night light can be installed. Tied into the receptacle next to the bathroom sink. I'm sure more ideas will come up later.

RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hi RonT,

Congrats on your new home! Ain't it always exciting? You have been busy! You've done nice improvements already. If you continue visiting the MOC I am afraid the ideas WILL keep coming!

With a 90 degree day I would not be surprised if any cooling fans came on anywhere in the rig because in those close quarters the temperatures could rise quickly from anything generating heat like a fridge or the power converter. The good news is that you know they work. Hopefully the fans aren't too loud.

I can't comment specifically in your RV floorplan but my rig squeaks here and there in different parts of the kitchen and living room but the walking spaces are much larger than in the bedroom where there are no squeaks. We tolerated it at first because it wasn't bad and we attributed it to being in a trailer. Now that it has been 3 years it still squeaks (maybe louder) but I wish I had brought them to the dealer's attention. If this is anything like a house the squeaks are caused by frame and flooring not being even and sitting correctly flat or the incorrect or not enough fasteners (nails) being used. The resulting gaps will cause these irritating squeaks to occur. The louder they are, the worse job with the frame, floor and fastener. I am sure the dealer will fight not to fix this because it is so labor intensive, but good luck to you.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I might be able to help on the oven problem. At our dealership we have discovered that on some stoves the oven knob doesn't push in far enough. Put the oven knob in the pilot light position. Pull the knob off and push the stem in by hand and try to light the oven If it works, stuff a little bit of paper down in the knob and put it back on. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
On the frig fan; The fan is designed to come on when when the temp gets up to a certain point. It is used to draw air across the cooling unit and cool better. I used to put an old muffin fan in the back older units I've owned, really makes a difference. The converter fan came on probably because with it being so hot, and a lot of things working at the same time, drawing a lot of current created a lot of heat. Kerry
Old 07-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
Thanks for the help with the oven. On our 2000 RV you did not have to push the knob in while lighting the pilot. When I also pushed the knob in in addition to having it at the pilot on position, it lit right up. I guess I should have read the book instead of assuming that nothing changed in 10 years.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Ron, I've been around the RV business about 30yrs, and I learn something new every week. Yesterday I found out you can get Fantastic Fans in 80+ different configurations. Kerry
Old 07-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I can comment on the floor squeak issue. My squeaks were in the kitchen area of our 2955RL. It got progressively worse over 1 1/2 years. It drove me nuts since I was in the home building industry and did everything possible to prevent floor squeaks.

So, this spring I removed the belly pan and went to work. Had to cut the vapor barrier to access the insulation and the OSB sub floor. My wife walked around until we found a couple of squeaks. I applied PL Premium Polyurethane construction adhesive (Home Depot) along the aluminum floor joist the OSB sits on. This cured only part of the squeaking.

I discovered a bolt running through the floor from the top and passing through the steel floor truss near the squeak area. This bolt was was causing most of the problem. It was moving slightly rubbing against the OSB floor causing the squeak from OSB flexing. I gouged out around the bolt where it passed through the OSB and applied more construction adhesive. Then I sprayed that home type foam insulation along the aluminum floor joist and this fixed the floor squeak problems.

Being yours is under warranty. I would have the dealer tackle the issue. I know it can be fixed.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
RonT, if the dealer gives you are real hard time with the squeaky floor, I'd become a real close personally friend of Jolu and his expertise. I'll do the same. The MOC rules!

:-D
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #9
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
The floor should not squeak, you said you did a pdi, well don't sign the papers until it's fixed. After it's yours the warrenty and dealing with service comes into play. We had a few issues on our 3400 during pdi, they wanted to rush me in to sign all the paperwork, etc. We told them that if it wasn't fixed we would come back when it was and started to leave. It was amazing how fast every this was repaired. Within 2 hours all was well and we went home with a new unit. It looked like about 10 people were working on our rig.

Bye the way, we were not bluffing, we would have walked and bought another brand.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:29 AM   #10
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I've brought more RV's than I should have but I struck with one rule. I didn't write the check until ALL problems were fixed. After the PDI every saleman has tried to steer me to "finance so we can be on our way". I would always tell them I'm here to purchase a RV to use, not one that needed repair. Call me when you have it ready for use. No matter what they tell you it means nothing unless its in writing.
Remember, They person who holds the money holds the power.
Get all repairs done BEFORE the check is written....
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #11
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
We picked up our 3400RL 2010 3 weeks ago and do not have any squeaks anywhere in the trailer. I agree with everyone who has commented that I would complain to the dealer. We spent our first week in Cottonwood, AZ and the last day it was 102 degrees. The fans you mention were running but since both AC's were also on the noise was not too bad.

Our next problem is that when we moved into our current location, I was extending the slides from the outside (never do this), to ensure we were not going to hit any trees (even though I measured), and the kitchen slide did a strange tilt, stopped then started again and I heard a tremendous noise. Stopped the slide and went in the trailer. The side strip to the right of frige was ripped off the wall along with the wood stip across the top of the slide. In addition I now have a cut in my floor. Don't know what caused this but plan a trip to the dealer to see if we can figure it out and who gets to fix it, me or them.

Other than that we love our trailer.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I don't know whether to be jealous or not... On the one hand, your trailer is beautiful and new, but on the other hand, I think (or hope) I have all the little stuff fixed on ours.

Naw, who am I kidding - I'm jealous! Good luck with your new Monty!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our 3400 did not have those floor squeaks when new but after a couple of years it developed them. Plus a couple of others.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 AM   #14
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
When we bought our 2008 3665RE the floor squeaked by the bathroom in the hall. We had it fixed under warranty and hasn't squeaked since. I would take yours in to get it fixed also.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Alan & Cathy, I just noticed your comment about the problems with the ripped off moulding on the kitchen slide of your 3400. Our 3400 has pantry doors just forward of the kitchen slide, on the wall separating kitchen from shower. If one of those doors is open it can catch on the slide and possibly cause the damage you described. Is there any way to tell whether this is what happened? This is the reason why, after hearing of this problem from others, Vicki straps those doors closed when we're on the road, just to avoid an accident if we don't notice an open door when extending the slides.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote