Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
landing gear blowing fuse

2008 3000RK. I have gone though at least five of the inline fuses. Has anyone else had this problem? Once was when I was retracting and it bottomed out, my fault and I was glad the fuse blew. Other times was when unhitching and had only a little strain on lifting off the hitch. As long as I keep a supply of fuses I am OK, but wondered if anyone had this issue. Thanks.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We had this problem, one time, on our first outing with our late 2006 3400RL. Replaced the 30 Amp Spade Lug in-line Fuse and haven't had the problem again. Something is seriously wrong if you have replaced the fuse with the right amperage rating. If it continues to fail with the right fuses I would immediately take it back to the dealer for repair.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

2008 3000RK. I have gone though at least five of the inline fuses. Has anyone else had this problem? Once was when I was retracting and it bottomed out, my fault and I was glad the fuse blew. Other times was when unhitching and had only a little strain on lifting off the hitch. As long as I keep a supply of fuses I am OK, but wondered if anyone had this issue. Thanks.
What size fuse are you using? Should be 30 amps. Some units had 20-amp fuses put in at Keystone. Why, I don't know, other than that's what they probably had available.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I replaced the fuse with a 30 amp inline AGC circuit breaker. Now when it trips, I just have to wait 15 seconds for the breaker to reset. I'm still going to have it checked as it should not be tripping as much as it does.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
My 2007 3075RL has a 40 AMP in line fuse, I have blown a fuse for extending to far, for retracting too far and for raising the landing gear without loosening the "T" bolts on the Armstrong stabilizers. If the motor over heats it will blow the fuse. I never run the motor for more than 15 seconds and them give it a 5 second rest.

The 40 AMP fuses are hard to find so, if you use them buy several when you find them.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I am taking it in to dealer next week. I replaced the fuse with original amps. One time I goofed and ran jacks to far in and was glad it blew the fuse.
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:44 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I replaced the fuse with a 30 amp inline AGC circuit breaker. Now when it trips, I just have to wait 15 seconds for the breaker to reset. I'm still going to have it checked as it should not be tripping as much as it does.
Wayne, The more often it trips the weaker it gets. Your circuit breaker is now below the original 30AMP rating. REplace it with a new 30AMP breaker but so long as it continues to trip it to will also get weaker.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Our 07 has the 40 amp fuse also. WM does not carry them, but most auto parts stores do. Last time I was there, I got an extra fuse for the truck too.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I too have blown the fuse, both times by trying to lift the back end of the truck (truck was on an angle and could not find the spot where the pin released from the hitch before binding). I have the 40amp standard blade fuse(not mini or maxi)and have had a heck of a time finding them. As suggested if you find them, buy a 5 pack. The 30 amp are plentiful at auto supply stores, as are 40 amp maxi blade fuses.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I have this problem too. I have blown about 3 in two months since I got the 09 3400RL. Dealer says it is common. I think it is when I have over retracted or operated awning, slidout or rear jacks at same time. Mine has 30amp Mini,s. I have not been able to find any 40amp.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We had this problem. Also, the slides were blowing the inline fuse very regularly. No over-extensions or similar problems. The dealer said to check that the TV was in fact charging the trailer battery. If not, the landing gear would be demanding current for voltage not available, if I understood that correctly. I checked and found that the 12VDC+ was NOT connected to the 7-pin connector at the back of the TV. After rectifying that problem, we've had no problems since.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Kathyanddave,

Having to have the tow vehicle hooked up to run the landing gear sounds really strange to me. We do not have the tow vehicle hooked up when we are hooking up the monty. And we often will unhook from the tv before we do the slides.

It is very interesting that you've had no trouble since you fixed the connection. On the other hand we seldom have the vehicle hooked to the trailer when we do the slides. We do usually have the shore power connected. I'd be interested to hear what sort of connection process others use.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
My dealer had these thoughts: If the battery's are low it could cause fuse problems. If you cycle back and forth with switch it will blow. I did try that and sure enough I bumped the extend then retract and then there was nothing. He was correct on that, even though I never thought I did that when the fuse blew before.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:42 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Glenn,
I agree, but it is not exponential. It takes time to weaken. In the same token, levered circuit breakers should not be used as a switch because after time they will also weaken. E.g., water heater circuit breaker. The use of a circuit breaker for the landing gear will give you a respite from having to open the compartment and replace the fuse. It should be considered an enhancement to setting up or tearing down, but if it interupts several times per use, then something is wrong, such as a loose wire, improper wire size, motor problem, etc., and those should be corrected by authorized people, or by those that really know what they are doing. It would take many times of the occasional "retracted to far," or "switched directions to soon," to weaken the breaker, UNLESS there was a direct short in the breaker and it did not trip because of the heat caused by to much current. IMHO

Wayne, The more often it trips the weaker it gets. Your circuit breaker is now below the original 30AMP rating. REplace it with a new 30AMP breaker but so long as it continues to trip it to will also get weaker.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #15
Squarenot

M.O.C. #8262
I have continously had this problem from day one at the dealership in Indiana when demonstrating, the dealer blew the fuse. Luckly, I saw him change the in-line fuse and knew where it was. It blew again on my first overnight in Missouri. Naturally, I did not have extras. So, I unhooked and was about to head off to Wal=-Mart. Fortunately, a very kind neighbor observed my situation and gave me a fuse. Neverthteless, I seem to blow a fuse about every other use of the system.
Squarenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good advice on the breaker, Get this breaker in my link: type ATC, I got mine at an auto parts store, it will help replacing the fuses that blow when we make a 'Button error'. If your fuse blows all the time, there is an overload problem somewhere.
(The 3 amp fuse package is shown for comparison reasons only) They are the same dimensional size as the original 30 amp.
http://tiny.cc/Breaker620
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #17
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
To clarify, we don't need the TV connected to operate the slides or LG, but the TV's power is required to maintain the charge of the Monty battery in transit. After several hours of supplying the various small draws in the trailer without being topped up, the trailer battery doesn't have enough steam left to run the slides and LG.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Agree with the something isn't right replies. A clamp-on amp meter would determine if the motor is drawing more than it should or that there is a resistance increase due to a bad or corroded connection, incorrect wiring size etc. I would also investigate a binding or sticking leg or some other source of increased mechanical resistance. Is overload protection for the motor only the inline fuse? I would have thought any motor in a mechanical system like this would have its own internal protection.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Another thing to check, make sure you have a GOOD ground. Also check for a loose or not well crimped connector. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
tuckerfolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #8737
I have a 2009 3400 and have blown 4 fuses also. I just called keystone customer rep and he told me to take it to the dealer. Offered no other suggestion. This sounds like a serous problem that Keystone better address. Even if you have a fuse; getting to this fuse is a hassle. I'm going to demand the dealer reroute this fuse for easy assess for replacement.
tuckerfolk is offline   Reply With Quote