Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
Reverse burp

In 40 years of trailering I have never had the black tank outlet plug up. There is always a first and I had mine. Rather than a snake or flexible flush wand application, I tried one more idea before things really got messy. I closed off the main outlet and the rear and galley gray tanks. I always keep the galley gray tank valve closed to accumulate water to flush the sewer hose after a black water tank flush. Then I opened the galley drain valve and the accumulated water back flowed up to the black tank and burped it into unplugging the outlet. Problem fixed. Since then, I have given the black tank a GOOD flush (two in fact) and am throwing in an extra dissolving packet in the toilet.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
i always leave my black tank closed and my greys open. when i know i will be flushing system i close the greys and get some water into the tanks before the next day. well in that time frame, 2 showers happen and dish washing etc… enough to flush out the system. never had an issue with the black and i alway do the hose flush on the black tank afterwards to, to help clean it out more
Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Wise move and one that I would try if we are ever in that situation. Noticed your BIG smile!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I close my greys on thursday when we dump on Sunday. Gives me plenty of water to clean even a long hose run.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I have had many of clogged black pipe with big blobs of paper stuck in the valve and that is Exactly what I do,I leave my Main grey tank pretty full when dumping the black tank just for that purpose it works %9o of the time and if that does not work I pull off the sewer hose and stick one of those acordian style plungers on the discharge pipe and Pump and THAT always unclogs it but man when you see the black water coming YOU BETTER BE QUICK putting the hose back on or you are in for a STINKY MESSY world of hurt
Old 03-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is one problem I have never had. Learned a long time ago from the old timers in our local RV club about the care and maint of black tanks. Plenty of water and lots of flushing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah I hear ya Rich we use Tons of water and Flush the black water tank every time and use Scotts" paper but sometimes S''T does Not happen
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

That is one problem I have never had. Learned a long time ago from the old timers in our local RV club about the care and maint of black tanks. Plenty of water and lots of flushing.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jon-- I do the same thing every three or four dumps. I do leave the flush going in the black tank and close that valve I also close the exit valve that I've put on the end of the drain tube. I then open the bedroom/bathroom gray tank valve. I let the main line fill then open the black tank valve again and the water in the main line backflows into the black tank because there is more pressure coming from the gray tank thus cleaning out the black tank valve area and some of the lower black tank. I then open the exit valve and let everything flow down the sewer hose. I sometimes will use the galley gray tank to do this also especially if that tank is totally full, leaving the other gray to wash out the line and the hose.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I know several folks claim there is no need to use Scott's RV, and any "Septic Tank" approved toilet paper is fine to use in an RV black tank, but I have never really bought into that. We only use Scott's, tons of water, and back flush 4 or 5 times with the attached FlushKing after every black tank dump.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 AM   #10
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Had similar--but very stubborn--issue years ago. I purchased a clear output adapter that has a hose or flush port for the garden hose and a bayonet add on tank valve. I closed all the gray tank valves and after several attempts the back flushing cleared the blockage and all is well. There is no "open" in the sewage line and no mess using this method. I now carry this set-up everywhere I and have loaned it several times to needy individuals. No better feeling than when the constipation clears.

Camping supply stores have these items and they even sell them put together in kit form.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:26 AM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Which brand did ya buy ??? I read reviews on one of them and it got bad reviews,I think the Flush King was the Better one??????
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by paulinbaja

Had similar--but very stubborn--issue years ago. I purchased a clear output adapter that has a hose or flush port for the garden hose and a bayonet add on tank valve. I closed all the gray tank valves and after several attempts the back flushing cleared the blockage and all is well. There is no "open" in the sewage line and no mess using this method. I now carry this set-up everywhere I and have loaned it several times to needy individuals. No better feeling than when the constipation clears.

Camping supply stores have these items and they even sell them put together in kit form.