Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Black Funk...HELP

When we turn on our shower(inside) we are getting black funk out of the hose and head.....anyone else have this issue? Also if we decide to change out shower head and hose..how do you detach the hose line. I know that a lot of you have changed out the head have you also changed the water hose at that time????????

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
where is your water source? city or tank. the shower head just unscrews from the hose and the hose will do the same at the faucet
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Several years ago I had a similar problem throughout my entire water system, not just the shower. I traced it to a carbon water filter cartridge gone bad. Replaced filter, flushed system, back to normal. I now replace my carbon filter on a more regular basis.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ranch560

Several years ago I had a similar problem throughout my entire water system, not just the shower. I traced it to a carbon water filter cartridge gone bad. Replaced filter, flushed system, back to normal. I now replace my carbon filter on a more regular basis.
That's what I was thinking as it happened to us once also.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If you have an inline water filter, most likely leaking carbon. I always let the water run through filter and hose to be sure it is clear before hooking to city water connector.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Thanks for help, will check carbon filter tomorrow....but why only the shower head and not the other faucets?????
Old 12-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Flow restricted may have accumulated the carbon bits
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Whenever we set up and I attach the carbon inline water filter I connect the filter to one end of the hose and run water from the shore water faucet through the filter onto the ground thus clearing small particles of carbon out of the filter that may have settled down and loosened up while it was sitting in the basement from the last use. I also make sure I shake as much water out of the carbon filter when disconnecting it from the hose to make sure there is as little water as possible in the filter to cause any possible stagnation in the filter if not used again for a while. If you find it is the carbon filter that is causing the problem be sure to pull the screens off the ends of each faucet and make sure the screens are not filled with larger carbon chips on the faucets. I'd also take of ALL of the faucet ends and shower heads and flush the whole system without a carbon filter on it.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Solved the problem......after 7 years of full-timing in the rig and using the shower daily....the hose built up a junk layer. Unscrewed the hose from both ends, soaked it in HOT bleach water then took outside and blew it out with unrestricted water pressure. Squeky clean now. Another thing to add to semi annual cleaning routine. Merry Christmas and Happy Sunshine to all. We are forecasted for a clear and sunny 70degrees today and warming as we get closer to Christmas Day.....Lots of room at the park and it is on the way to Quartzsite if anyone wants to stop by. We are in space 81 and there are other Montanas here as well.....