Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Mor Ryde LRE 4000 Guide for Dummies

No, I'm not insinuating anything ... just wanted to get your burning attention to read my post. A while back someone had their LRE 4000 shear springs replaced ... that post got me under my fiver for a look see. I was concerned in particular about one of my shear springs, so I took the following photos of both sides and sent them to Mor Ryde for evaluation. After talking to Gary Wheeler in customer support at Mor Ryde, I'd like to post a no nonsense guide to what you really need to be looking for and not some "oh that really looks bad you must park it immediately" miss-diagnosis. Per Mor Ryde, they honeycombing is normal and not an issue. The cracks I have in my shear springs are not an issue. Although they span the width of the spring, they are a bit less than 1/8" deep ... Gary said that is normal wear for a 2-3 year old unit. They don't get concerned till the cracks measure over 1/2" deep. What was of concern to him was the bulge/tearing in the rubber adjacent to the bolt head in the last photo. Since I mentioned I'd rather roll in crushed glass than have a dealer change it out, He said he would send me a new spring and all I needed to pay was shipping. He later called me back and said he was sending two springs billed the same as above as the shear springs installed in 2010 were 16 durometer (density of the rubber) and all the new units come out with 20 durometer shear springs. He wanted me to have matching springs on my fiver. Now that's what I call in-depth customer service! So, look over these photos ... minor cracking / honeycombing is normal ... don't fret over nothing to fret about. If you have cracks, simply measure the depth and go from there. If you have bulges or tearing ... call Mor Ryde or your dealer ASAP.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Now that is some useful information! Thanks Dieselguy. I think I have found the solution where I don't have to worry about whether to replace them, although the solution can definitely lighten your wallet. After your informative post, I thought briefly about checking the shear springs, but since we are trading the rig, I will wait a couple of years now! Obviously, this approach is not recommended for everyone! Good customer support reports are definitely a rarity and are definitely welcome.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Very timely post as I was getting ready to take pictures of minor weather checking on one side of the rig. Dealt with elastomeric's on rotorheads, so am always concerned with gaps.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:17 PM   #4
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Morryde LRE / 4100 Sheer spring

Hi does anyone know the part number for the LRE 4100, I found sheer spring for 4000 but not sure if they are the same. Both of mine are bad and it's a 2017 wtih 900 miles on it. Rather frustrating. Also any suggestions on replacing them?

Thanks

John
jstadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:51 PM   #5
offroad71
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11329
You can try this https://www.morryde.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/LRE-Owners-Manual.pdf
offroad71 is offline   Reply With Quote