Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
BLACK WATER TANK

We empty our black water and grey water tanks every 3 days. The past couple of times we emptied it, it was full the next day. Any idea where this water could be coming from. We unhooked the hose that we used to add water after we dumped it and there was no leak there.
??????????????????? Baffled for sure

ajjoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Which tank was full, black or gray or galley? What model and year rig do your have? Do you have a washer and/or dryer? The only thing that empties into the black tank is from the toilet, but t seems there was previous forum discussions that there were some model years where the washer drain went into the black tank. The gray tank is filled by the shower and bathroom sink (ditto on the washer remark), and the galley tank is filled by the kitchen sink only. Please provide additional details which will assist in getting answers for your rig.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
We have a 2002 5th wheel. It was the black water tank that was full. We don't have a washer and dryer. Thanks
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Flush valve not fully closing? But that would fill the bowl.. unless there was also a bowl seal leaking from bowl to black tank.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Are you sure it was full or just the gauge saying it's full? If the latter I'll lay odds that your gauge is just reading poorly and the tank is truly empty. The guages are notoriously unreliable and mine will often read full very quickly when I know it's not. Very common problem.

With the two of us - I can get about 2 weeks boodocking on a black tank. I use time since dumping as my primary tank level indicator.

You would know when its starts to get full as it starts to "burp" that is when you fill it with some water and then hit the flush - an air bubble comes up thru the water as it flushes.

When it starts doing that you have a day or so left and its time to empty the tank.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
Oh no it was the black water and it was full. Yesterday my husband could actually see it stay in the toilet when he flushed. I believe I've figured it out. I went out and opened just the gray water and nothing came out. So I figure the flap or whatever opens and closes is stuck open. Have no idea how to remedy that one. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
P.S. We have never trusted the gauges...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
You said that you opened the gray water and nothing came out... do you mean you opened the black tank valve?

Not knowing your rig... first you might want to check behind your convenience center if you have one... the valve push/pull cable might be disconnected or broken at the back side.

Otherwise, follow your sewer line to where it goes into the tank.. Your signature doesn't specify which rig you have or its age so its hard to help much. But your black tank should be under the toilet.

You can probably access your tank valve from under the rig by dropping down the cover some. You might also be able to get to it thru the basement wall.

If you let everyone know what model and year you have someone may be able to help better. either way - if your push pull is cable is good at the handle you need to get access to your gate valve for some immediate relief.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Oh and another possibility is that you have an obstruction in the discharge line. Sometimes the plug from when they cut the tank is left. Hopefully is not that. You will need to roter router the discharge line if its plugged. first check and make sure its not just a broken or disconnected valve cable.

You said that you empty the tanks every 3 days. Unless you are using them ALOT and using a lot of water that is a pretty high frequency to be dumping the black tank.

It's better to wait till the tank is more full so you get a better flushing action. There might not be enough water in the tank after 3 days to effectively move the solids and they will build up over time. Good luck
Old 05-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
It's a 2002 Montana 5th wheel model #3295 RK; 34'.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sounds like your cable is disconnected or broken. Looking behind the convenience center is your best first step. If the valve is truly open then you most likely have an obstruction just past it in the pipe. RV stores sell a device that you can connect between your sewer hose and the line coming out of your rig (if you have a sewer boom you'll want to disconnect it and hook the device where the boom hose was connected). You then attach a garden hose and it backflushes up your outlet pipe. You could do this with just the hose and not the device, but if you are successful at dislodging a clog you don't want to be holding a hose at the end of the pipe let alone not have it connected to the sewer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I do not believe the 2002 models had the convenience center, seems like it came in 2005-6. Here are a couple of questions that may help us. Do you have three dump valves, black, gray and galley? If so, a quick test you can do is turn the bathroom sink on with the gray tank valve open and see if there is discharge. A clear elbow will assist with this. If there is discharge, then close the gray tank valve and see if the discharge stops. This will tell you whether the gray tank is functioning properly. If there is no discharge from the gray when the sink is running, repeat this process with the black tank after emptying it fully first. This will tell you if the plumbing from the sink is going to the proper tank. I would repeat this with the shower as well. I am wondering if a previous owner changed the plumbing. If all of the drainage is going to the proper places, then you need to verify that the valves are emptying properly. When the black and gray tanks are full and are being discharged, the initial flow will fill the clear elbow completely. I am suspecting that you have solids buildup in your black tank which is either keeping it from emptying completely or limiting its storage capacity. If that is the case you may need to have a flush wand to see if you can dislodge the solid material. Keep us informed, these are simple systems and it will be a simple solution once the problem is identified.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
Thanks to all it seems to be working properly now. Don't know why. Maybe it fixed itself. Anyway we'll take all the miracles we can get.