Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Converter Problem

Like others, I am experiencing converter problems, specifically tripping the 20 amp breaker. Last year, our converter fan quit, causing the converter to over heat and die a premature death. I replaced it with an Iota DLS 55 amp RV Power Converter & Battery Charger (IQ4), and the problem at first seemed to go away. This year, it started tripping the circuit breaker, so I replaced the breaker, but it still trips occasionally. I think I know why: specs on the converter state it can draw up to 20 amps on what the manufacturer calls "Max inrush current". I am guessing this is when the battery is discharged, and the converter is suddenly called on for max recharging current.

I'm not aware of any 'slow blow' house type circuit breakers, so I'm considering sticking in a 25 amp breaker. Has anyone else tried this?

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I think I would send an email to Iota's technical support group. I have found them extremely helpful.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
No way should you increase your circuit breaker amperage w/o increasing the wire gauge and outlets...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noneck

No way should you increase your circuit breaker amperage w/o increasing the wire gauge and outlets...
Normally I would agree except this is a momentary surge. I am 99% sure if I had fuses instead of breakers and used a 20 amp slow-blow fuse, the problem would go away. Also wiring goes from 12 ga (20 amps) to 10 ga (30 amps). Have you ever tried to wire an outlet with 10 ga?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:43 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noneck

Normally I would agree except this is a momentary surge. I am 99% sure if I had fuses instead of breakers and used a 20 amp slow-blow fuse, the problem would go away. Also wiring goes from 12 ga (20 amps) to 10 ga (30 amps). Have you ever tried to wire an outlet with 10 ga?
Tom, I just can't see why you should have to increase breaker size. IIRC, the converter draws 13 amps full load, aside from any momentary surge. Have you checked the converter with an amp meter? If it was the surge tripping the breaker, you would see lots of posts concerning the breaker tripping. I think something is wrong somewhere, either in the converter, or in the distribution panel.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Will, the Iota web site states that this unit can hit 20 amps with a surge. All electrical components have tolerances, and the 20 amps is probably the high side of the tolerance, but apparently I have hit it a couple times. It doesn't do it everytime, and so far, it's never done it after the initial connection to land power - just the initial connection, and only then if the battery is low (from raising/lowering the trailer and running out the slides while disconnected from either land or truck power).

EDIT

Well, this sucks. I just went to the Iota website and it appears this unit doesn't have a 20 amp in-rush, it has a 40! No wonder I'm having problems!!!

Iota DLS 55 amp RV Power Converter Battery Charger IQ4
DC Output Voltage (No Load) approx. 13.6V (DC)
Output Voltage Tolerance (No Load) + or - .7%
Output Amperage, Max Continuous 55 Amps
Output Voltage (Full Load) approx. >13.4V (DC)
Maximum Power Output, Continuous 750 Watts
Ripple and Noise 80%
Max Inrush Current, Single Cycle 40 Amps
Short Circuit Protection Yes
Overload Protection >100%
Line Regulation 100 mV rms
Load Regulation
Old 10-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Been doing a little reading. Not sure whether that is considered a high inrush or not. Ordinarily, motors and compressors will draw many times their running amps on start up. I would suspect either the transformer or capacitance is causing this inrush. I did find this tidbit of info on a Square D site tho: [High magnetic trip circuit breakers are recommended for applications where high initial inrush current may occur]. I have the WFCO converter and panel with Homeline breakers. I believe those are thermal breakers in my panel. What breakers does your panel have? I was/am not aware that the converter tripping the breaker is a widespread problem, but if it is, maybe the above mentioned breaker is the solution.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
It has Square D breakers. I've never heard of a high magnetic trip circuit breaker before, but I will look in to them. BTW: I have sent an inquiry to Iota and will post their response. Thanks for the info!!!!!

EDIT: A 20 amp high magnetic trip circuit breaker runs $155 (list). I'm in shock...
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
All circuit breakers will take a momentary surge without tripping. If they didn't, air conditioners, refrigerators and anything with a compressor would trip them every time they started. I believe that high magnetic trip circuit breakers are used mainly in industrial applications and I'm not even sure one is made for a Homeline panel. I believe you have a unique problem that isn't common with converters or I'm sure that someone would have posted about it before this. I'm just guessing but I think that a very expensive specialty circuit breaker would only mask the problem. Another thing, if it doesn't solve your problem, it is probably non-returnable as most electrical parts are.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm in agreement with Jim on this one. It will be interesting to see what Iota says. You've replaced the breaker, so that should eliminate any problems in the panel.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
You need to check with AMP meter and see what the Full Load Amps are and see if that reading is exceding name plate of the converter if it is their is a problem with the converter not the protection the breaker
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

You need to check with AMP meter and see what the Full Load Amps are and see if that reading is exceding name plate of the converter if it is their is a problem with the converter not the protection the breaker
It's impossible for me to get an accurate reading on a spike that only lasts long enough to trip the breaker. I can try to discharge the battery, turn on all the 12 volt stuff and then have the DW plug in the power while I watch the amp meter, but as long as the full load stays below 20 amps, that won't tell me anything.

Iota has asked me to see what else is on that line. Unfortunately I can't right now since the trailer is in the shop being repaired. We should get it back early next week. Since the converter is directly behind the electrical panel, I might just run a dedicated 20 amp line so I know nothing else is on the line, or that the line has a short in it.

Stay tuned...