Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
gregh9999
Established Member

M.O.C. #8671
Use of new Automatic Entry Light feature

We just brought home a new 3455SA. At the dealer, we did the usual run through. But the dealer had no idea on the functioning of the new automatic entry light feature, which is part of the Hickory Edition. The door switch is place, not unlike the interior light switch on a car.

Has anyone with a new unit figured out how it works?

Thanks

Greg

gregh9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:28 AM   #2
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Ours turns on when the door is opened and shuts off when shut. The only way I
would know how to keep them from turning on is to shut the switch off on the light itself, But personally I don't like climbing up that high.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We brought our Big Sky to a dealer in Albuquerque for some minor adjustments. When we came back for it one of the workers came up to us and asked where they turned the lights off. Seems they had all been trying to turn off the entry light and couldn't. We told them to close the door. Still laughing about the look on their faces. This is one great improvement in my humble opinion.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We really like that improvement. At the cg, we don't have to leave any lights on while we are visiting . And heaven help the person trying to enter our rv when we are in bed!!!!!
The lights used in this function are the same ceiling lights on the switch on the wall marked ceiling. You turn them on/off on the wall, but even if they are off on the wall switch they will automaticly come on when the door is opened.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
gregh9999
Established Member

M.O.C. #8671
Thanks for the info. As we have the same model, I'll make sure the ceiling light switch is off. Then I'll open and close the door and see what happens. I'm assuming that it's activating the ceiling lights over the door and desk area. I was wondering last night if there was a switch somewhere to activate the feature.

Another lighting change that I noticed was that the "security" light switch on the remote only illuminates the scare light on the door side, not sides as it was with the 2008 2955RL.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:06 AM   #6
gregh9999
Established Member

M.O.C. #8671
Ok, the "problem" has been found. I received a call from the dealer saying that his guys disabled the feature during the prep work. They thought something was wrong, as they couldn't get the lights to turn off. They has already done the same "fix" to another new one.

So I pulled the switch panel in the hall, found two taped wires, and reattached with the same clip that factory used. Works now....
Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Here goes ole Carol with another stupid question,

Do any of you have the plexiglass storm doors?? Cannot see in my foggy ole brain, how you would be able to leave exterior door open, screen/storm door closed with plexiglass, and NOT have all those lights coming on and off??

OKKK, can someone clear up my DUHHHHH moment???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carol,
If the switch is like it is in an auto then all you'd have to do would be to tape the switch in the off position. That way you could leave the main door open and not have the light come on.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dennis,

That is a thought - -

Would I need Gorilla tape??

I am anxious to see this improvement up close and personal. I am wondering why they just could not do a small light in the stair well, or something???

I think I have been married to an electrican too long, I get these weird electrician ideas and questions!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carol,
I was wondering the same thing. But I suspect it is cheaper and quicker to simply run the wire to existing lamp. But the little light in the stair well area would be nice. A lot of folks have installed the portable motion sensitive lights. They work pretty well. Next time I'm in WM or CostCo I'll try to remember to pick up one or two of them.

Electrical tape should do the trick. Or some duct tape would work.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
I just checked my unit. The switch in the door is held on with two small screws. I did not take the plate off, but it could be that you could remove the plunger and the lights won't come on with an open door. There is a switch on the main panel going up into the bedroom that controls the same lights, so you could turn them on or off once you are inside. I tried to turn off the lights with this switch, and that works if the door is closed, but has no effect when the door opens. Then as someone suggested you could put the LED light set up like I got at Costco that is either motion or pressure sensitive in the stairwell.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Here goes ole Carol with another stupid question,

Do any of you have the plexiglass storm doors?? Cannot see in my foggy ole brain, how you would be able to leave exterior door open, screen/storm door closed with plexiglass, and NOT have all those lights coming on and off??

OKKK, can someone clear up my DUHHHHH moment???
Carol, the switch is actived by the door but you can have the screen door closed and the outside door open and the lights are off so that means the switch is activated by the screen door part of the door. this is really a neat feature--no fumbling around in the dark looking for the light switch, which in ours is by the step up into the bedroom
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dennis-- if you are going to pick up some of those security lights that are motion sensitive, try checking at Harbor Freight! I picked up several there but have yet installed them! They run off of AA batteries and throw quite a bit of light. I did try them and I may try one on the outside of the unit besides the step location on the inside. That way you have a light that comes on when you come up to the door and another when you enter the door to see the step and the other light switches! They have an off/on switch on them also so you can control the sensor that way!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:43 AM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OOO Jan, the screen door activates???

now, that is cool stuff., or light stuff!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 AM   #15
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Yes Carol, the screen door activates the lights. I have already installed the plexiglass on the door and used the ac a lot this last week, GREAT!!!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
wward208
Established Member

M.O.C. #9347
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Yes Carol, the screen door activates the lights. I have already installed the plexiglass on the door and used the ac a lot this last week, GREAT!!!!!
I am trying to find pics, instructions or whatever which would enable me to modify my screen door with plexiglas or lexan. Any ideas?
wward208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Last time this came up, I went and looked at my own web pages and I did not have seem to have one.

Pretty easy tho, purchase thinest stuff you can find, the thick is heavy, don't want that, well, we didn't.

Make a pattern, we used paper bags or poster board.

One piece for the top, one for the bottom, one for the middle,

cut, etc etc etc. Only really tough part was the curve at the top of door.

We also replaced the slider part, with clear, available CW IIRC, or at your local camper sales/dealer/parts joint.

Hold on with those screen screws, someone had a URL for those once, I don't, sorry. Got those at a hardware store.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #18
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Carol, I had to actually do the new one different than the 3280RL. The new screen doors have the screen inset from the inside instead of the outside.
I just measured the bottom top to bottom and cut to the exact diminsion to cover the aluminum door. I drilled holes big enough to allow the screw to pass, but not so big the head went thru. I drilled a smaller hole in the door. pilot hole, and then installed the screws.
The top was easier than the older door we had. I cut the door so it was as wide as the door and as tall, but in a rectangle. I "held" the plexiglass in place carefully with masking tape and marked the top curve with a pencil. I then cut the curve just a little inside the mark and it fit very good!
The center of the door and the slide are white and will be a little more difficult to change if we do decide to change it.
When cutting the plexiglass, I used a sabre saw with the plastic/wood blade and always cut on the inside of a mark. Make sure the paper is on the plexiglass until you are doing the final install so you don't scratch the easily scratched glass. I also used the .083 thickness plexiglass, but the thinner will work just as well.