Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Rrp56

M.O.C. #21212
Trailer hitch

Would like to tow behind my fifth wheel. Dose anyone have experience with this.

Rrp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Yes. Need receiver tied into main frame members most bumpers are far to weak. It will likely void warranty so I would not recommend on new unit.

Several threads on the subject.

I pulled 14’ flat bottom Jon boat with no problem with our old camper. Can’t tow with new unit as it is too long (total length of truck and trailers must be under 65’ in states that allow doubles).

Not all states allow double tow so check online for regs where you plan to tow. Also be advised you will NOT be able to back up when towing double so plan accordingly!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Yes. Need receiver tied into main frame members most bumpers are far to weak. It will likely void warranty so I would not recommend on new unit.

Several threads on the subject.

I pulled 14’ flat bottom Jon boat with no problem with our old camper. Can’t tow with new unit as it is too long (total length of truck and trailers must be under 65’ in states that allow doubles).

Not all states allow double tow so check online for regs where you plan to tow. Also be advised you will NOT be able to back up when towing double so plan accordingly!
Why can't you back up while towing double? All it takes is practice, but then again I used to haul Super B's for a living.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pachu View Post
Why can't you back up while towing double? All it takes is practice, but then again I used to haul Super B's for a living.
Ok I have no idea what a super b is
Old 03-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
This is one unit that I drove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0533.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	1307  
Old 03-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
This is one unit that I drove.
Ok towing doubles big boy style.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Not sure how you managed to back those up! Hats off to you if you did. Then again can you back up a jet ski trailer? Don’t laugh till you try it....
Old 03-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrp56 View Post
Would like to tow behind my fifth wheel. Dose anyone have experience with this.
What 5th wheel unit do you have that your anticipating towing behind? It is NOT recommended by the factory and will/could void any warranty you may have. The new units that have a 2" receiver on them are only rated for 200 or 300 pounds MAXIMUM. IF was meant for towing it would have a 4pin power connector back there also with the receiver.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #9
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Quote:
I also pulled doubles with a semi tractor combination and now pull recreational doubles, Montana with enclosed cargo trailer, and I can guarantee you that you will NOT back the RV doubles any distance at all. The overhang of the RV causes too much swing making it impossible to back much more than a few feet before the second trailer starts to turn. The axles on the the tractor trailer combo are at the rear of the trailer making it much easier to back as there is no trailer swing. I have pulled RV doubles since 1995 without incident although much care needs to be taken to ensure that you don't get into a situation where backing the rig any distance is required. Make sure it is allowed in your state as most states will allow if you are properly licensed in your state. Also, there are a number of states that it is NOT allowed at all. Get informed.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Not sure how you managed to back those up! Hats off to you if you did. Then again can you back up a jet ski trailer? Don’t laugh till you try it....
Have witnessed several in my 32 years on the road back up doubles,albiet not a common sight! Backing up a jet ski trailer is not hard if you know what you are doing and know your pivot points and reaction times to steering wheel inputs.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #11
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
I had backed one of those units up about 1 km as another company driver had parked in a road side pull out just off the highway for the night and his truck had quit. Because of the trees I couldn't see him until I was right beside him. I called out to him on the CB radio and to see if he was ready to go. He didn't tell me that he needed help until I was further down the road. So then I had to back up to get him. Of course this was in the winter on a lonely two lane highway in northern Manitoba with very little traffic and no cell phone coverage.

Yes I can and have backed up a jet ski trailer numerous times.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #12
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmthelen View Post
I also pulled doubles with a semi tractor combination and now pull recreational doubles, Montana with enclosed cargo trailer, and I can guarantee you that you will NOT back the RV doubles any distance at all. The overhang of the RV causes too much swing making it impossible to back much more than a few feet before the second trailer starts to turn. The axles on the the tractor trailer combo are at the rear of the trailer making it much easier to back as there is no trailer swing. I have pulled RV doubles since 1995 without incident although much care needs to be taken to ensure that you don't get into a situation where backing the rig any distance is required. Make sure it is allowed in your state as most states will allow if you are properly licensed in your state. Also, there are a number of states that it is NOT allowed at all. Get informed.
I agree with what you said that it is easier backing up a big rig combo. I used to pull a boat behind the 5th wheel on a regular basis and had backed this combination up quite a few times but never in a tight situation. When I retired we bought a longer 5th wheel and sold the boat as the combination exceeded the total length allowed in the province where I reside.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #13
Time2Travel
Established Member

M.O.C. #21292
I am having trouble backing my 2018 Montana 3701LK into my driveway because the 2” receiver on the back digs into my driveway, I am going to have to cut mine off.

Randy
Time2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #14
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Ok my hat is officially off to you pro truck drivers. I was just trying to advise a less experienced tow driver about the potential downsides of towing doubles. And my comment about the jet ski holds true. Us bass pros used to make fun of the amateurs with their toys until we had to back one in. We could launch 6 bass boats to one jet ski but when I bought one of those tiny trailered dang things I got a lesson in humility!!
Old 03-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #15
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
I am having trouble backing my 2018 Montana 3701LK into my driveway because the 2” receiver on the back digs into my driveway, I am going to have to cut mine off.

Randy
They do make an accessory wheel kit ( 4" wheels I think ) that you can bolt onto the receiver frame to keep the hitch from digging in. It will keep the hitch about 4" off the ground when entering or leaving.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:07 AM   #16
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I am also a retired trucker with experience pulling doubles. Pulling (backing) a fiver RV with a small trailer behind it is entirely different. You can't successfully back what you can't see!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #17
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I spent 40 years in LTL trucking pulling pups, vans, doubles, triples, trains and others. I often backed into docks 20 or 30 times a day and can attest to the opinion that longer trailers are easier to back than short ones given enough room to maneuver. Given my choice however, I'd take the short trailer any day. Hooking up a set of doubles requires the use of a converter gear (basically a trailer, shorter than a jet ski trailer, with a fifth wheel hitch on it, to connect the two trailers. Therefore when you are pulling 2 trailers you are in actuality pulling 3. We all learned that it was easier to back the converter gear behind the lead trailer rather than wrestle it into position by hand. The procedure is to pull up about 40 or 50 feet directly in front of the rear box and then try to keep the gear going straight the whole distance. Generaly I would have to stop and pull up a few feet to get the gear straight again about 3 times. Sometimes I could do it in 1 shot and sometimes it would just all fall apart and it might take 8 or 10 tries (usually on Mondays) after you've done it for a while you can back it wherever you want from whatever angle you want. It's not easy to do, it takes a dedicated effort to learn, (we had several drivers that just gave up) and you have to do it regularly to keep your edge. In all my years I only once saw anyone successfully back doubles into a dock, so my hats off to any of those who can do so.
A single jet ski trailer no way! A double ski trailer maybe, the're' pretty wide. If you can see anything on each side of it when it's straight it can be done, but you're not going to make any friends at the ramp!!
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #18
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Just wanted to add that commercial trucking is not a foreign subject for me. I started on dump trucks for my family landscape biz and went to big bobtail (33 55gal drum size plus trailer behind it) hauling highly hazardous chemical short haul in the oilfield. I was also the guy unloading trucks at the yard. Many times coming in the middle of the night to help the driver. Not to mention the drivers I helped out by giving them flowers from my moms florist to take home to their wives

I have a deep respect for truckers. I won’t be the guy cutting you off at least not on purpose. I may be the guy in the rocking chair rolling with you on the interstate though. If only more folks would learn to drive like a professional and go with the flow eh.....
Old 03-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #19
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I install a hitch on two of my 5ers with no ill effect, for a while I towed a 21’ ski boat, total length was 72”, and you can back them up with practice. And yes it was legal.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #20
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Mr Pachu, nice looking rig you posted. Curious about that setup, is the lead trailer a tri axle with a 5th wheel attached to the rear of it, or does it use a separate converter gear to attach the two trailers? Bet you don't miss driving in the snow!
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote