Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Yellowstone in 2014

Planning a trip to Yellowstone, Tetons, Salt lake, Arches, in 2014...have 35 days to get it done...leaving end of June and all of July....leaving central Virginia, heading north to Wisconsin, North Dakota, Billings, to Cody....question is...how much in advance should we make reservations? and which campgrounds would you recommend in/near both places? Arches Nat'l Park...same questions?...we have never been out that way...comments much appreciated...

sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Once you have your departure date nailed down, I would start making calls. We did that in 2009 and it worked out great-knowing where we were staying and the dates, etc.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone looks like a good park but a little pricey. My husband and I checked out the campsites in Yellowstone and they are tight, we have a 3900FB and I wouldn't try to get into any of the campgrounds in Yellowstone. We stayed in Island Park, ID at Red Rock RV which is 20 miles south of the West entrance it was a little drive but the rv park was quite. We had made some other reservation for Crazy horse and Mt. Rushmore but had to come home after 9 days out because our house was broken into. We made reservations at the parks a month in advance found that a good time for Yellowstone is the beginning of June, after Father's day it started getting busy.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
You will need to make reservations at Yellowstone and Tetons early, for sure. We stayed out there several years ago in the lodge during the summer and everything was full. We made reservations 4 months in advance and only had a few options. Just this past May we were at Arches and everything was full but that may be different in July since it gets so hot there (I would still make res as early as possible). We stayed at the OK RV Park and didn't really care for it but we also stayed at Dead Horse Point State Park just north of Moab and really like it. It only had electricity but just 21 sites and lots of room between. Our site was #KA01 which was a long pull-thru. Too bad you can't take a two month vacation and see Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion as well Sounds like a great trip!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Last year we traveled roughly the route you are looking to travel. We really enjoyed the Teddy Roosevelt Nat. Park in N.D. We stayed in Medora at the Red Trail CG. The sites are basic ground (western) with full hook up. There are 'mountains' around the CG. There is plenty to do in Medora; Indian/cowboy Museum, there was a one man play, Teddy Roosevelt which was wonderful, the National Park (we drove the south park twice, once during the day and once at dusk early night. The dusk trip was great, wild horses, bison, prairie dogs, deer, etc... Medora has a amphitheater with a great stage show. This is well worth the time and money. If so inclined, there is a restaurant in the hotel that is a white table cloth restaurant. The food is great and so was the service.

We stayed at a KoA while visiting the Little Big Horn. It is a KoA but it was a pleasant place with easy in and easy out. It was not far from the Little Big Horn. The history and the feeling we had from the tour and the videos really brought home the battle.

We stayed at the Grizzly RV Resort in West Yellowstone for our stay and visit to Yellowstone. It is expensive but it is very nice and very close to the west entrance. There is a KoA and another RV park a few miles west that appeared to be ok, as we drove by.

Have a great trip and be safe!
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Having never driven out there in the Rockies....how long is the drive from Denver to GrandJunction.....mapping
Programs say like 220 miles...but how long is that pulling the big Monty considering the hills, etc...Also is 13'3" legal and ok in Colorado?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Grizzly Rv and the BIG K.O.A. 8 miles out of west Yellowstone entrance are really nice, X2 on NOT rving IN Yellowstone way to cramped and crowded,we stayed at the KOA and rode our scooters to the west entrance ....FUN STUFF!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #8
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
We stayed in Fishing Bridge for a week. It took me about six tries to get into the assigned site. People were laughing at me trying to get this big rig into the site. Oh well! However, there are many sites I could have gotten into very easily. I guess it is the luck of the draw.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We did a similar grand tour in 2012. As I remember we spent 5 days in Tetons and 10 days in Yellowstone, early reservations are a must. The other CGs we just did reservations about 3 to 5 days ahead and that way we could alter course if needed.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sola123

Having never driven out there in the Rockies....how long is the drive from Denver to GrandJunction.....mapping
Programs say like 220 miles...but how long is that pulling the big Monty considering the hills, etc...Also is 13'3" legal and ok in Colorado?
You have a couple "hills" (they call them mountains out there ) that are going to slow you down. Going over the Continental Divide and Vail Pass are the two I remember. The two directories I have show a conflict in height limitations going through The Eisenhower Tunnel. My trucker atlas says maximum height is 13'-11" but my Mountain Directory West states that 13'-6" is the maximum. You might want to look into that just for your own comfort. I've seen trucks go over Loveland Pass in order to avoid The Eisenhower but that one scares me in a car let alone pulling something. I'm sure others here would have no problem with it though. This past Spring we went out to Utah going on the southern route so its been awhile since we've traveled on I-70.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
gilljr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13475
We just returned from that trip, Rafter J in Hill City was a great place, only 10 miles from Rushmore
gilljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
gilljr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13475
Also stayed at KOA on North Temple in Salt Lake City, Free shuttles to Temple Square, While in Salt Lake recommend a drive up to Silver Fork , absolutely worth the drive
gilljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If it is possible after the kids go back to school is the best time to go see the national parks. My wife and I are headed on almost this same trip in late August this summer. We will be leaving from western Va, Roanoke. If possible you must see the Cody museum. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone and it's a great park. Very will maintained, good staff, close to town, right next to large open space for walking the dog, and right outside the park entrance. Next time we go to Yellowstone we will stay at Grizzly RV Park. We were there for fourth of July (2011) and could sit in the 5er and watch the fireworks show out the back window (we had planed on being outside but had a big thunder storm go through and it was raining hard). Make reservations as early as possible, we made them 6 months in advance and had a great spot...not that there are many bad spots in this park.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
We stayed inside Yellowstone at Mammoth campground in June 2011. We got there right a 9:00am since some of these are first come, first served sites, there were six sites left available. We didn't do it with our Monte but rather 30' Outback travel trailer.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #16
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
If you asked about the height restrictions for the tunnel on I70 west of Denver, you are okay. We have traveled through it both east and west bound and no problems. I think we are 13'6". Semi's were going through the tunnel and I don't remember having any concerns other than the long grades.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
higgs6867
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13512
Our last trip to Yellowstone was in 2006 and we stayed at the Flagg Ranch Resort which is located at the south entrance to the park, I think it's called Headwaters resort or something like that now, it was ok I guess, all I remember is the clouds of mosquitos, they were horrible (we were there in early June). We'll be going back through there this year in mid July on our 8 week trip and have reservations for 5 nights at Fishing Bridge and 3 at the Grizzly in West Yellowstone. Made reservations in February and almost all the 40' sites were taken for Fishing Bridge so reserve early. If you want to check out the Little Bighorn battle ground stuff on your way, the KOA in Sheridan WY is very nice, I think it's about 70 miles from the battle field and well worth the drive.
higgs6867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #18
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Thanks for all the info and comment..please keep them coming....gotta do lots of planning when you are on a time limit.....how about the drive from Cody to West Yellowstone at Grizzly....the drive thru the park...how is it gonna be...plan to arrive there on July the 3 rd....
Old 07-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
higgs6867
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13512
The ride from Cody up through the park is amazing. There is some road construction going on east of Fishing Bridge where the land slide occurred a couple years ago but the NPS says no closures over the 3rd and 4th so should be ok there. There's always the chance of traffic jams due to critter watching but that's just part of Yellowstone, can't be in too big of a hurry. Anyway it's a good 3 to 4 hour drive but you will love it.
higgs6867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #20
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
If you are planning on being in Yellowstone over 4th of July make your reservations as soon as you know your exact dates. The longer you wait the harder it will be to be exactly where you want when you want.

The road from Fishing Bridge to the east gate is open where the road caved in a few years ago but is is only 1 lane controlled by a traffic light (Just East of Marys Bay). Has been that way for 3 or 4 years now. It can be a 3 or 4 minute wait if your timing is bad.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote