Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
cwestberry

M.O.C. #21703
AC question

Hello. Camping newbie. BOUGHT 3921FB in Nov. Bedroom is over the fifth wheel and noticed it was cooler than the rest of the camper but didn't worry about it in south georgia. We don't have much COLD weather. Summer has been a different story and I can't cool the bedroom bath areas. 2 AC units with double duct whisper quiet system
Noticed that the inner wall is cold and cold air is coming out of the wall into the thermostat. Under the bottom in the same wall comes down that wall into the under carriage area. That's the wall that the wires have to travel to go to the panel box.
1. Is that normal? I think there is a gap in the ductwork but can't see it
2. Is it normal that the hot air from the under carriage comes in when the AC unit is on. There is a grated cover under each of the two steps going into the bed room that is open to bugs and outside non heated/ cooled air?

cwestberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Welcome to the forum!

Make sure you are keeping your storage area doors closed as it also gets a/c and heat from the furnace when its cold. The grates under the steps go into the storage area but not the outside. Are you getting cool air out of the vent in the bathroom?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
cwestberry

M.O.C. #21703
There is very little air in the bathroom the furthest up front area. This unit has a half bath that sits right next to the "cold" wall and it is very cool in there. Is the air supposed to go down that wall to cool the panel box?
The return air coming in from under the steps is hot 95 with outside temp. Those outside doors are never open. Seems like it makes the unit work too hard to cool off its pulling in hot outside air. I understand the need for fresh outside air to keep down Carbon monoxide with heat in the winter so it didn't worry me. I really think that there is something wrong with the duct. I just don't want to take it in and then they keep on for weeks

Thanks
Old 09-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First thing I would check is to see if the ducts are aligned and taped properly under the unit. To do that you, or your dealer have to remove the unit to see. It sounds like cold air is missing part of the ductwork and coming out in the ceiling and then down the wall. As to the vents under the stairs, you can take some foam board and block those off in the summer, but remember to remove the foam board in the winter as that is the return air for the furnace.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:38 AM   #5
cwestberry

M.O.C. #21703
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I have learned a lot in the past few months. Hubby is very mechanically inclined but wants me to have someone look at it. I have been avoiding the dealer as they were less than helpful once I signed the check to buy it. Just wanted to make sure it really was abnormal. BTW. I covered the vent the night before I posted and it was at least 10 degrees cooler yesterday.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:07 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
AC in 3921fb

We also noticed the half bath was always cold enough to hang meat. We leave the half bath door open slightly and I put a small fan on the vanity top to circulate the cold air out of the meat locker and into the living room. This helps a bunch.

I checked all the ducts at the returns and everything is properly taped and sealed and there are no collapsed ducts. I put both ACs on high and set the thermostat low so they run and don't cycle off. I pointed the two rear ceiling registers toward the ceiling fan and We keep the ceiling fan in the living room going and we have a dyson fan rotating to blow on us in the easy chairs and the dogs on the couch (the elderly female Fern really likes the dyson!). On 100 degree days in Texas the best we get is about 80 degrees in the living room but it is tolerable with air movement from the fans. If I keep the ACs on high thru the night the coach cools down to low 60s. Of course it helps a lot if we get a shaded site. DW also keeps a small fan in the front bath and I have a cover over the shower skylight. The air movement with the fans makes a big difference. I suppose it would be nice if the whole coach would cool to the low 70s on a 100 degree day - but overall we have been satisfied with the performance. We especially like to sleep COLD and we get that every night!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #7
cwestberry

M.O.C. #21703
Thanks. Covering the open areas below the steps for the past 3 days has been the best thing yet. Hot and humid today and much cooler than last week before this step. I popped the cover off the little bathroom vent and put plastic wrap (saran wrap) over the whole. That helped a bunch and it still stays nice in there. I'm still going to get the unit off the top and check the ducts. AND I love my Dyson fan/heater

I was thinking if the fan ran continuously it would overheat the system causing failure earlier than its normal lifetime expectation
Old 09-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
[QUOTE=cwestberry;1116400 I was thinking if the fan ran continuously it would overheat the system causing failure earlier than its normal lifetime expectation[/QUOTE]

Years ago we bought a jayco and during the PDI the tech told me “This is how I run my AC when I camp - I put it on high and set it as cold as it will go and let her rip”. Of course I am in TX but I have followed that advice for years...put it on high and let her rip!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #9
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
I plug the convenience center hole with section of the large water noodles. The water hose fits through the center of it. It cut down the hot air that flowed from the step vents.
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
Duckhaulers

M.O.C. #21049
Bad A/C air flow and few other glitches.

Hey all!
We have a 2017 3730FL and we have had alot of issues with air flow.
The duct work in the ceiling is allowing the cold air to flowing into the roof more rather then coming out of the vents themselves.
They have told us that the ceiling must be dropped to find the problem and fix it.

We are from British Columbia and we don't usually have real hot summers but this one was pretty hot for a few weeks.
We bought this unit from Fraserway Rv here in Abbotsford and have nothing but a run around with the service department.
It seems the technicians haven't a clue how to fix the smallest things and just order new parts to replace the problems, of course it takes forever for the builder to get back to them and send them new parts.
First problem was behind the water closet/ furnace area, there was a huge gap where a raccoon could have climbed along the beam and got inside the belly and had a nice home, and in the winter cold air was rushing in under the stairs ( which I had to fix as well, staples don't work well holding steps together)when the furnace was running.
Second was the oven, temperature settings were way out 350 was 230 and 400 was 370 cool down fan once oven was shut off sometimes didn't work and then all of a sudden start working.
Third rear roof top A/C unit leaking water through the return vents, I fix it myself by tightening the unit to the roof more, dealer said they put a lawn sprinkler on the roof to imitate rainfall and said they couldn't find the leak!!!!

Freezer keeps building ice up on the rear wall, still yet to be fixed.

It's a work in progress I guess we should have it all fixed by the time our warranty runs out.
🤣😅🤣😄🤣🙃🙃🙃
Duckhaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #11
fuquatj
Established Member

M.O.C. #19619
I have a 2017 3921FB. Paid $1600 to have the 3rd A/C installed. The dealer even wired it so I could run all three units at once. It still does not cool the bedroom and front bath. You might as well get used to it
fuquatj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #12
cwestberry

M.O.C. #21703
AC going into the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
We also noticed the half bath was always cold enough to hang meat. We leave the half bath door open slightly and I put a small fan on the vanity top to circulate the cold air out of the meat locker and into the living room. This helps a bunch.

I checked all the ducts at the returns and everything is properly taped and sealed and there are no collapsed ducts. I put both ACs on high and set the thermostat low so they run and don't cycle off. I pointed the two rear ceiling registers toward the ceiling fan and We keep the ceiling fan in the living room going and we have a dyson fan rotating to blow on us in the easy chairs and the dogs on the couch (the elderly female Fern really likes the dyson!). On 100 degree days in Texas the best we get is about 80 degrees in the living room but it is tolerable with air movement from the fans. If I keep the ACs on high thru the night the coach cools down to low 60s. Of course it helps a lot if we get a shaded site. DW also keeps a small fan in the front bath and I have a cover over the shower skylight. The air movement with the fans makes a big difference. I suppose it would be nice if the whole coach would cool to the low 70s on a 100 degree day - but overall we have been satisfied with the performance. We especially like to sleep COLD and we get that every night!
... So I took the camper to a repair shop and they took the AC unit off and found the duct work was misdirected and repaired the problem. Easy fix that should have the camper cooler without working the AC to death. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #13
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
Rear freezer wall ice build-up. Try a thin plastic chopping mat. Cut it to size (If needed). Place it against back wall behind the rack. Ice will form on it. Pull out when de-icing. Vast majority of the ice will be removed with the mat.

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #14
331MONTHC
Established Member

M.O.C. #22819
So I have just bought a brand new 2019 331 with the whisper quiet in the main living area and the good Ol noisy unit in the bedroom. Well at least I can sleep in the cool bedroom but the rest of the unit is terrible. I only have 4 supply vents and the 2 return vents. I removed one of the return vents and I could barley fit my fingers in between the 2 foam panels. I plan on doing all the mods to the return duct and the supply vents I have read about and see what happens.
331MONTHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airconditioner