Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2004, 02:04 PM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
My Ford is Bye-Bye-Turbo Hose Blues

Well, wish I would of bought another GMC for the horses. On the way home tonite after being on I-94 & 275 in all kinds of hills, twists and turns, we get off on Telegraph (most flat terian) the TURBO HOSE BLEW OFF AGAIN . This makes it I believe 6 times. I am NOT PLEASED!!! I CrAwLeD aLl ThE wAY hOmE . Thank god our trainer was behind me, just a little re-assurance.

I am taking it to the dealership in the morning, hopefully they can bolt it to the blue plastic hose as I leave Tuesday morning for a 2 week horse show in Traverse City. Then come home and supposed to go to Chicago for 2 weeks.

I think I will line up a new deal via phone and get me a REAL TRUCK!!

Sorry all you Ford people, but this should NOT happen. This vehicle is made for hauling.

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:11 PM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Happens often to a few of my friends. The problem is more prevalent when the truck has some mods done to it.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

Happens often to a few of my friends. The problem is more prevalent when the truck has some mods done to it.

John
What do you mean "mods"??? If you mean modified, I haven't done anything to it, except pamper it, wash it, and wax it .....
Old 07-11-2004, 06:08 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, you've sure had more problems with that truck than you should have. The hose blowing off problem is documented and your dealer should be able to apply the fix without difficulty. A couple of friends with that problem have had no further problem with it after the fix. Mine's never done that in 41,000 miles so I assume it was fixed in later production models.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:01 AM   #5
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Sue, you've sure had more problems with that truck than you should have.
Ya, I have

I walked into the dealership this morning, asked to speak to the service manager. Told him that this is the 6th time (3 of the times we re-clamped it ourselves, the other 3 were done by a dealership) and he says "Why does this keep happening" I couldn't believe it. You don't want to know what I said.

He then proceded on with stuff like, Do you change the air filter every 4,000 miles. I told him that "we bring it in every 5,000 miles for its maintenance (we purchased it at time of sale) so you tell me".

I also asked if there is some way to bolt it from the top of the pipe thru the hose besides the double clamp we have on there.

I will keep ya posted.

Does anyone know how to file/claim under the lemon law??????

Old 07-12-2004, 04:56 AM   #6
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Sue, haven't you figured out GMC means "Garage Man's Companion" yet"??? :-) Get past the warranty and it changes to "Get More Cash"!!!
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:05 AM   #7
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak

Sue, haven't you figured out GMC means "Garage Man's Companion" yet"??? :-) Get past the warranty and it changes to "Get More Cash"!!!
Huh????? Now, I'm female don't forget!!!! I am guessing your not fond of GMC's. I LOVE my husbands truck. He does too, only wishes he would of gotten the full 4 doors instead of extended.

I was also considering Dodge, which I see you have. Do you love it??
Old 07-12-2004, 08:49 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
Have you tried to call Ford's customer service 800 line at the factory? I would get someone on the phone with their service or customer relations dept and let them know what is going on. Every now and then a phone call from the factory to a dealership does some amazing things on getting your problem fixed. Now I am not trying to start a brand war here, but I want to let you know of another option. My sister works for General Motors and I have seen them go so far as to buy the vehicle back from a customer and get them into a new vehicle if the problem cannot be fixed. I think you have been more than fair with Ford. Get a hold of the Corporate office and see if they can be of any assistance. If not, tell them to either buy this truck back and get you into another one or buy you out of this one and you will go somewhere else for a truck. Keep me posted as things progress. A friend of mine as the same truck and is having the SAME problem with his. He is ready to just sell it and buy a you know what.. =) Good luck..
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:02 AM   #9
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Sue,
Have you tried to call Ford's customer service 800 line at the factory?
No, but I just got off the phone with the dealership and supposedly their is an updated part for this problem and it is being shipped as none of the local dealers have it. It's being "freighted in". I just hope it gets here tomorrow as I was supposed to leave @ 6:00 A.M.

I researched the "Lemon Law" in Michigan. After a situation occurs, by the 3rd time I am supposed to send Ford a certified letter. If it happens another time, this will be the fourth time, then I can file under this law. Oh ya, the first time it blew off has to be within one year of buying the vehicle, which it was. I know it won't be easy to get a refund under this lemon law, but at least I am filing.

Hopefully this "new updated part" will stop the fourth time.

Which life could just be simple!!! At least the horses will appreciate not getting back into a trailer so soon again.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:04 AM   #10
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
The last line was supposed to say

Wish life could me simple (sorry, I'm at work and I don't have my cookies correct on this computer, so I can't edit)
Old 07-12-2004, 10:49 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, the procedure is supposed to be documented on one of the front pages of one of the manuals. Warranty manual I think but might be owner's manual.

Sue, here's a quote from the bulletins section of Dieselmann's Page. Your dealer has access to all these bulletins if he'll just look. This hose problem was fairly common in the early models:

Intercooler Hose Blow-Off:
If one of the hot side intercooler hoses blow off it will cause the truck to exhibit a low power/low boost condition. To service, replace the hot side intercooler pipe/hose assembly. Clean the hose mating surfaces to ensure the hoses will stay in place. Seat the hoeses completely onto their mounting surfaces before tightening the clamps to 9 ft/lbs. Test drive the truck while monitoring the boost pressures, which should be 22-25 PSI. An overboost condition will cause the hose to blow off. Broadcast Message 1099.
Single alternator trucks: 4C3Z-6C646-BA
Dual alternator trucks: 4C3Z-6C646-CA.
On 2004 trucks that exhibit the cold side hose/pipe blowing off at the intake manifold, this may be due to the clamp being under torqued or damaged. Clean the outside of the intake manifold inlet and the inside of the hose or pipe. Inspect the clamp, and if it is damaged, replace it (trucks built from 12-15-03 to 4-1-04, P/N 4C3Z-6F081-AA; built after 4-1-04, P/N 1C3Z-6K786-BA). Seat the hose/pipe onto the intake manifold and torque the clamp (6 ft/lbs 12-15-03 to 4-1-04; 9 ft/lbs after 4-1-04). Broadcast Message 1329.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:19 PM   #12
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:

Your dealer has access to all these bulletins if he'll just look. This hose problem was fairly common in the early models:
Ha Ha,

Thanks, I needed a good laugh. My dealer made me feel today like they couldn't of cared if I get on the road tomorrow or not. I asked if they could call and CONFIRM that in fact this part was definately on it's way. They said they couldn't because it's all done by computer, even asked the service manager, same response.

I am 99% sure that this is not going to get fixed tomorrow, just a feeling I have

Old 07-12-2004, 10:19 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with the dealership. I know what I would be doing tomorrow if I were you. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:29 AM   #14
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Sue,
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with the dealership. I know what I would be doing tomorrow if I were you. =)
What
Old 07-13-2004, 05:14 AM   #15
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Dealer called around 9:30, the part arrived .

Now just pray for me that it holds and we get to Traverse City. I haven't see my house on Glen Lake in 3 years, would be nice to see what it looks like.

Wish us luck too!!!!!

P.S. I will try to post when we get there, after we get all set up and let you know how it ran. (keeping fingers crossed all the way)

P.S.S. Ford has been officially notified of my problem, if ya know what I mean
Old 07-13-2004, 05:28 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sue
P.S.S. Ford has been officially notified of my problem, if ya know what I mean
Good. I was going to tell you there's an 800 number in the manual for the Ford Customer Satisfaction line. You could lodge a complaint about the dealer with them. Sounds like you already did that. After lodging the complaint I would then find another dealer, assuming there's another within reasonable distance.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:12 AM   #17
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:

Good. I was going to tell you there's an 800 number in the manual for the Ford Customer Satisfaction line.
My lawyer took care of the notify
Old 07-13-2004, 07:43 AM   #18
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Sue, good luck with your persuit, but I do feel the update (if they did it) on the aftercooler boots will solve the problem. Mine already has it, but a lot of the earlier trucks did not and once the update was done it seemed to solve the issue.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:48 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, would appreciate an update if and when anything happens on this. Thanks and good luck. I'm sure you'll get their attention.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:45 PM   #20
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:

Sue, would appreciate an update if and when anything happens on this. Thanks and good luck. I'm sure you'll get their attention.
Well, we made it. I did not use the tow/haul feature tho, to leary of breaking down.

But, now my truck runs rough sometimes and wants to stall.

Back to a dealership in the morning....

Everyone have a great day!!!