Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2004, 12:53 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Mirrors

We have been trying to get a set of mirrors that will fit our truck. So far we have had to return two sets to Camping World. What kind of mirrors do you guys use? Hubby has problems seeing back of 5ver. I try to direct him, but naturally he ignores me. What a guy !!!!!

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:09 AM   #2
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
You did not mention what mirrors you have on the truck now, But Power Vision makes OEM elect extendable mirrors for the GM trucks
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:16 AM   #3
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Hers the link , hope it helps
http://www.powervisionmirrors.com/
Old 06-29-2004, 02:29 AM   #4
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crlly6

We have been trying to get a set of mirrors that will fit our truck. So far we have had to return two sets to Camping World. What kind of mirrors do you guys use? Hubby has problems seeing back of 5ver. I try to direct him, but naturally he ignores me. What a guy !!!!!
Here are a couple options I found when looking for these..
http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/TTTmirror.htm
http://www.rpminnovations.com/cgi-sz...ement%20Mirror
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:42 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I have the Lucerix ones. Cipa has a similar style (I think identical). I bought mine from Kennedy Diesel, the vendor referenced in the Diesel Page article. They work pretty good but I would like to have them extend a little farther since I can only see striaght back on the edge of the mirror.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:08 AM   #6
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
NJ Hillbilly , I had the same issue with my 03 2500HD.....but they were better than the clip on,s I do like the Ford mirrors where there is more vertical mirror than the horizonal style, seems to give a better view. my personal opinion. Before I purchased the OEM style Power Visions, I looked around, but the plug and play of the Power Visions was nice. maybe I should have researched more.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:26 AM   #7
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Carol, now why is it that the guys have a tendency to ignore us??? Especially when we are usually right!!!

Anyways, our F350 has these really huge power heated telescoping trailer mirrors. When towing Monty we pull the mirrors out to extend the range of vision, otherwise they are pushed in for normal driving. They work really well and we are pleased with them.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:34 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Now, Now, Vickster! I learned many years ago that ignoring a woman is not a good idea! But, then, sometimes when I forget to ignore the blonde crossing the street, that gets me in trouble, too!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:20 AM   #9
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We have these kind of mirrors that extend out and have the direction signal on them. But they don't go out far enough. He needs a little more mirror to see the back of the unit. I don't know what kind of mirrors we have. They come with the truck.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:29 PM   #10
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
You could trade those Fords and Chey/GM's for a TRUCK!! :-) The tow mirrors on a Dodge are really good. Mine folded in for putting around town are 8' 4" wide: In 'tow mode' they're 9' across. Gives one a very good view to the rear!!!
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:04 PM   #11
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Now, Now, Vickster! I learned many years ago that ignoring a woman is not a good idea! But, then, sometimes when I forget to ignore the blonde crossing the street, that gets me in trouble, too!
Okay...you've heard me say it before...and now I'll say it again. We're asking Vicki to be our mentor! Or if we can have Steve's attitude cloned.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:16 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Carol and Chuck,
I have the same mirrors as you on your truck. The trick I have found that works best with thses mirrors is to have them extended while driving down the highway, but when I get into town I bring them back into the normal driving position. I have found that while turning corners and trying to back up I loose sight of my wheels and had a slight problem with running over curbs and what not. By bringing in the mirrors I can see the wheels of the trailer as I make my 90 degree turns, also same goes for backing up. Might want to give this a try to see if it helps. One other thing I do when backing into spots is I do tilt the mirror out farther with the power adjustments from side to side. I dont really care to see the side of the truck or front half of the coach, by having the mirrors tilted out I am able to see the wheels and to the back corners of the coach which really helps when trying to back into those tight rv spots..
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:21 PM   #13
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Dave - That's a great idea. I've found the extended mirrors fine while on the road; but, there are definitely shortcomings backing and turning. I'll be trying your suggestion this weekend. Thanks.

Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:10 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gordon,
Let me know how it works out for you. Just curious, do you ever notice while driving highway speeds that your mirrors tend to viberate or "shake" so it is unreadable? I have had both of my mirrors replaced on my truck as I find while driving anything over 70mph the mirrors really seems to "shake" in the wind. Really has gotten to be a problem, especially when towing a 38' coach and your not sure if you have enough room to move back over or not. I just had both mirrors replaced two days ago and have not been on the highway yet, will have to see if the new ones are any better. I must admit I do like the ones I had on my 2003 Chevy. They were the power folding ones that had the built in light underneath them. Those mirrors were great. Thanks, Dave/
Old 07-30-2004, 01:34 AM   #15
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
I'll let you know. It may be a while though. This weekend is a one night trip to a local campground to shake the bugs out. I'll be lucky to get up to 40 on the way ove there. However, I did do about 90 miles on the interstate bringing the Monty home; mirrors extended the entire trip. I didn't notice any unusual vibration. The dooly definitely rides like a truck, so if there was a problem, I should have noticed it. The age of the truck may be a factor too. We both have '04s, but I have only about 10,000 on mine. It may loosen up down the road.

I'm still getting used to the length of the trailer. The Montana only hangs back there a couple more feet than my Cougar TT, but it makes a difference. The view is also changed because the front of the trailer is so close. Sure is nice when folks flash their lights to let you know you're clear.

Gordon
Old 07-31-2004, 09:22 PM   #16
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the info. Sounds like good info to be aware of. Happy rving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:06 PM   #17
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Dave -

I did work it up to about 60 on the mile or so of freeway before I had to peel off. (Probably spent a gallon of diesel to do it .) I didn't notice much of a vibration in the mirrors. When I have them extended and turned in a bit more than usual, I can see the rear of the trailer on both sides. When I pulled the in, I lose that view. When I was backing it up my 450 foot drive, The best way ended up being with them extended and aimed down. I could see the tires and the edges of the drive.

Did your problem show up right away? I still think age (mileage) may be a part and I'll be having problems in a few months.

Gordon
Old 08-02-2004, 06:28 AM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gordon,
Thanks for the reply, I had started noticing the viberation around 6,000miles on the truck. I just rolled 10,000 today and have had the truck for 8 months now. I have had both mirrors replaced with complete new ones on each side of the truck. The new driver is great, but the new passenger is better but not great. I have found for like you stated going straight forward of backward having my mirrors extended worked well, it was when I got into the angles of backing up that I lost all sight of my coach wheels. After trying different positions I found the best that worked for me was all the way in and somewhat down like you had done. Sounds like you had a good trip, glad to hear no major problems. Just wait till you get that truck up to 65-68mph towing the coach. Your Duramax will just sing down the road. Thanks again for getting back to me.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:46 AM   #19
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
No problem. Sounds like our trucks are about the same age. I'll keep my eye on the mirrors just in case they start to shake. I do like the power extend feature. Sorry your passenger side isn't better. I'm not sure if we're going out this weekend or not, but if we do, I'm looking forward to the big road.
Gordon
Old 08-02-2004, 09:03 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gordon,
Hope you get a chance to get out this coming weekend. You know what they say, any time rv'ing is better than work or being at home. =) I am heading down to the lake Tues. nite as half the state around that area is on fire. Going to go and make sure the fire is not too close or will be bringing the coach home until they get it under control. Enjoy your weekend.