Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
Question for the Chevy people or anybody else

We have been looking at the Chevy 3500 dually and me and my wife like the On Star system so we have a way of getting ahold of somebody in an emergency. How many people have the system and if not what do you use for emergency'S? It sure makes her feel better knowing that it can be used for that purpose.

Puz & Muz Pigpens

Montana_1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #2
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We do not have On Star, but do carry our cell phones with us at all times. We use Cingular digital and have found (so far) very few places we do not have a signal. The digital service seems much clearer and we seldom lose a signal during a call.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
We never did get around to using the OnStar but I know people who do and like it. They also had the option of holding a copy of all of Your medical records and emergency contacts in the event that You are incapacitated. This to me is a nice feature if I was fulltiming and always out on the road.

I did not re-new the service since I never used it and both my wife and I always carry cell phones that are on 24/7. My brother has used the lockout service a couple of times. Once he locked his keys in the truck in the driveway and the house was also locked. A call to OnStar got the truck opened within minutes.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
We do not have one but have a friend that has one and she has never used it,I think that it is a bit costly at $200 a year. We always have the cell phone with us anyway. But for thoes that like it I think that is what they should have. Our GMC did not come with it but found out later that it would have been another $900 to get it put in. Thanks but no thanks
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:16 PM   #5
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
Thanks for the info but it sounds like nobody really uses it. This is one of the items we were looking at. The new F350 Ford can give me all the stuff that Chevy has to offer me except the On Star. From the sounds of things it might not be as important as I thought. The 2005 F350 has increased their tow weight to 16,300K and has caught my attention, plus they have put in a on board electronic trailer brake system. Thanks again

Puzzie Pigpens
Montana_1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:14 AM   #6
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
I have had it also, get the first year free when you purchase the truck new. I never renewed it either, But the part where if your in an accident and the air bags deploy, they will contact you, If you dont respond, they send emergency vehicles to your location. Thats what they say anyway. Nice option, But like Linda stated, 200.00 a year for that service only is a little pricey
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:30 AM   #7
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by puzzie

We have been looking at the Chevy 3500 dually and me and my wife like the On Star system so we have a way of getting ahold of somebody in an emergency. How many people have the system and if not what do you use for emergency'S?
We use cell phones..
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
Montana_1577
Established Member

M.O.C. #1577
I had OnStar on my Chevrolet Avalanche. It comes in handy for emergency communication. We rarely, if ever, encountered an area where it wouldn't reach a tower. We used it alot when neither of our cell phones had service. It's just too pricey to use full time and having to recite the numbers to be dialed can be a pain. The system has a tough time hearing what you're saying with road noise. You also can't call any automated services where you're required to "press 1 now". There's obviously no keypad. But, if you're real lazy with money to burn, the thing will pretty much babysit you. For a hefty fee It will give you directions, make dinner reservations for you and tell you you're not a bad person.
Montana_1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have Onstar in my truck and would not leave home with out it. I have been in too many places up here in the Northwest and in the Midwest where the cell phone does not work, (including the lake). I have never had to use this feature for my own personal emergency, but have used it to call for help during accidents I have come to on the road. It is free for the first year and I think it is $199 for the basic Safety & Security package after that. It does also have a built in cell phone that has different minutes and cost to each plan. I use this all the time at the lake since the cell does not work there. Just my opinion, but I would really think about getting a vehicle with Onstar in it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:05 AM   #10
Smacko

M.O.C. #944
Send a message via AIM to Smacko Send a message via MSN to Smacko
I have it now on my second GMC. I have used the cell service on the on-star a few times and keep some time on it because there are times that the on-star cell works when my AT&T has no service. I have also used it to call someone who has borrowed my truck. It is a little pricey, but I live in a rural state and there is some security in knowing help may be there if I need it....
Smacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:02 AM   #11
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
I have it in my Chev 3500 as well. I basically echo the things MontanaSyy said. My system does allow use of automated services, although it's a bit cumbersome. Bottom line is try it for the first year. After that, do what feels best! By the way, congratulations on the new truck. I love mine!
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote