Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
How best to travel eastward from Yellowstone NP?

We will be up in Yellowstone (staying in West Yellowstone) next week, and then are planning on heading eastward towards Devil's Tower and then the Black Hills of South Dakota. Am I correct in understanding that the east exit from Yellowstone thru Cody is not really a viable way to head eastward from Yellowstone with a rig as large as our Big Sky? If so, any reasonable alternative to heading southeast thru Moran/Dubois/Riverton?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We would go through the south exit. From your location going towards the south exit there is some construction that can stop you for up to 30 minutes but after that it is managing through the traffic. Then go thru Teton, head east.
We just spent 10 nights at Fishing Bridge, traveled around quite a bit and the west exit is not something I would do. Prior to that we stayed at Custer SP, Black Hills of SD. Great place.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
There is nothing wrong with the road to Cody. Done it many times.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
David and Joanna, You take that East exit from Yellowtone. It is very easy and BEAUTIFUL. You will be missing some great scenery if you don't. We did it and would do it again in a heartbeat. Once out of the park you will run into some absolutely beautiful mountain ranges. We loved Cody and the Black hills of SD........Have a great trip.....

Phil & Cathy
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
There is nothing wrong with the road to Cody but if you continue east to Sheridan it's a different story. The road itself is fine but there is a long, very steep grade. According to my book US 14 to Burgess Junction has a 5-7% grade for 18 miles and 14a has 4 miles of 8% and then 10 miles of 10%. Heading east from Burgess Junction you can expect 22 miles of 5-7% downhill. We didn't have this book and took 14a and found out why it's called OHMIGOD hill. Hwy 26 to the south has 17 miles of 6% grade. If you want to avoid any long grades my book shows 89 and then 191 to I-80 is the way to go.Hwy 14 east to Greybull then 16 south then east to Buffalo shows a 5-7% grade for about 18 miles.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Dave & JoAnna, We have done both the East and South roads into and out of Yellowstone. Both provide some great scenery and should not be missed. 8.1al sumaarizied the travel through the BigHorns very well. Long steep grades bur OMG the views are fantastic. If you have the time do them. If time is short and Devils Tower is the next destination I think I would go North out of west Yellowstone to Bozeman and pick up I-90. Not near as scenic but I think it might be your fastest route to Devils Tower. Jim
Old 07-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have gone thru Cody two or three times Jo-Anna... It is beautiful.. Our travels always take us to Billings to see the Grandkids and we take hwy 120 from Cody to get there... That is where you can pick up 1-90... 120 is not as scenic as some of the other roads but it is a very easy quiet road to travel.

We haven't done it in the Big Sky yet but I remember at least twice in th Montana which was just about the same size.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have been in/out all 5 gates of Yellowstone. Pulled the RV thru 4 of them. The only one I have not pulled the RV thru is the North East Gate and the Bear Tooth Pass. It is the only one that I would be hesitant to pull thru, but it is a beautiful drive. The East Gate to Cody is not a bad drive with the trailer. I have always gone south out of Cody towards Thermopolis so I have no experience continuing east from Cody.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
David
I go to Wyoming almost every year. The Cody museum is an absolute positive must see. Plan about two days to see it. The road out of Cody through the Big Horn Pass, I think, is the prettiest road in the State. It's steep but you will not wont to drive fast anyway.
I have never had any trouble on this road. If you go through Dubois stay at the camp in town, and take at least one day and see the Union Pass road. I think it is the most beautiful place in the state. You can see deer, elk, moose. black and brown Bear. There are small mountain streams and lakes, all full of trout. The road goes up to almost 10,000 feet. Its a good well maintained gravel road. I pull my camper up there and spend a week. There is a very nice restaurant about half way up there. Its the Sawmill. You can do a Goggle search for it. Goggle, the sawmill Dubois Wy. The Union Pass Rd is about 10 miles north west of Dubois on Rt 26.
I hope this helps. ENJOY
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The CG in the middle of town in Dubois is called "Wind River KOA." As Lynwood stated. It's two blocks to the town. Have a hamburger at the Cowboy Cafe.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote