Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Oregon Coast

Today we are leaving California on Hwy. 101 going into Oregon and looking for places to stay, visit, etc.

(Evidently a lot more people are doing this trip this year and I know you all have some special insight and OTHERS have done it before!) So I am looking forward to some great information!

Oh...we are currently in Klamath, CA in Golden Bear RV (Passport America) and it has been nice! Will return. BTW... 5 Montanas and 1 Big Sky in this 40 site campground!!! (Some people are already here waiting for the salmon to run next month!)

Thanks in advance.

Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Wow, we have been talking about leaving in mid to late August and heading towards the Redwoods and on in to Oregon. We were there 30 years ago but our sightseeing interests have changed a bit since then. Maybe I can steal a few of the suggestions that fellow MOC's
send your way.

Enjoy your trip

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We stayed a week or so at Hiouchi RV park outside Crescent City, CA near the Jedediah Smith National Redwood Forest. Absolutely loved it and would do it again. We are presently in Florence, near the Dunes playground. We are 1000 Trails members and they have numerous parks along the coast. Our next stop will be Pacific City, then on to Seaside (two weeks at each), then to Portland to visit friends, then to Bend for a week or so. If you are a seafood lover, you must Eat at Mo's. One in Florence, Newport and further up the coast. Great seafood for sure. Many lighthouses along the coast also, many are historic. You can get a "Lighthouse Passport" book at the first one and get it stamped each time you visit one of the houses. Just something else to do. We did this trip three years ago and love the cooler weather this time of year....Have a good trip!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Thanks, Phil. We did take your tip and ate at the Chart Room in Crescent City...Outstanding!!! Will always stop there anytime through here! So, that being said, thanks for the other tips and enjoy your trip through Oregon.

Perhaps we will be close enough sometime to share a meal! At the moment we are not planning on being in Oregon for more than a week, but... one never knows! We will be heading on into Washington and then eventually over to South Dakota to get our driver's license and license for vehicles and our home!

Take care...thanks again.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't know if you are going to continue up 101 or head over to I-5, but if you do go to I-5 by grants pass, then Armitage County Park in Coburg (Eugene) Or, is a wonderful place to rest for 2 or 3 days. Marathon Coach is just up the road about 4 miles in case you get any bigger ideas!! (Hee hee)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I would add to places on 101 Bandon food golf,cheese(bandon cheese), the back road to Coos bay. Oceanside rv has a nice spot right near the beach, just over the low dunes. Winchester bay has a couple nice parks one right on the ocean. The Sea Hag at Depoe bay has good seafood reasonable,just past light and drive up road till you can park and walk back. Food and surf is good. If you belong to Elks, Florence, Lincoln City and others up the coast, Of course you have to stop at Tillimuck and see the cheese factory and have cheese curds and awsome ice cream. All I can think of forthe moment
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr
.... If you are a seafood lover, you must Eat at Mo's. One in Florence,....
Friends don't let friends eat at Mo's! 25 years ago they were pretty good. But the quality has diminished significantly as they try to stay cheap. They are content to take the cream off the top of the tourist trade and not attract repeat customers.

If you are in Florence, try the Seafood Station, an innocuous once upon a time gas station on Hwy 101 just north of the Hwy 186 intersection. A little hard to find but worth it. It used to have great fish and chips and the clam chowder was one of the best on the coast. The couple that owned it (and a barbecue place down the street) sold it to another local couple and moved to Maine to open a similar set of restaurants. I haven't been back since they did that and I hope it is still terrific.

One of our most favorite restaurants anywhere is in Florence. If you do nothing else while you are there, have dinner at the Waterfront Depot. Be sure to make reservations or you won't get in. Ask for a table by the windows if one is available when you make reservations. The view is terrific. We took 43 of our closest friends there last year during the progressive rally (the owner made a special seating for us as that is the capacity of the place) and there wasn't anyone disappointed.

A couple of other places to eat that we can recommend (good eateries on the OR coast are hard to find).

Oyster Cove in Charleston (big city prices in a little city but very good). Rachele Ray featured this place in one of her "$40 a Day" shows.

Fisherman's Grotto in Charleston (allegedly best fish and chips and clam chowder according to the locals)

Hilltop Restaurant in Coos Bay (we haven't been there in two years but it was very good the last time we were).

8th Street Grill in Lakeside - We haven't eaten there, but a good friend says it has the best hamburger for miles.

Schooner Cafe in Reedsport. A sandwich and/or salad place for lunch.

I am sure there are lots more, but these we know about. You can Google most of them for more information.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I've eaten at all the Mo's on the coast and NEVER had a bad meal, guess I'm the lucky one...The original is in Newport and this year finally expanded the garage they were set up in. Plenty of room now to soak us tourists...DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT eat at the ICM Seafood shop, next to Mo's. They couldn't even do fish and chips without cooking the fish to death and the service was terrible!!!! Will have to try the others that Carl and Susan mentioned!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
IMHO MO's is about a 3,!!! So what would I know being a so called local,You be the judge. Just before you get to Newport on left, have crab cooker outside, eat in or out, good fish & chip,beer. I am happy. good seafood, just before the lite south of the bridge, just a hole in the wall.
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
Agree. Our clam chowder tasted like potato soup, no clams.
bill maietta is offline   Reply With Quote