Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
oldcrow
Established Member

M.O.C. #10118
Trip North to Halifax NS

Hi I am planning a trip from MD to Halifax NS in early Aug.2010.Any advice on campgrounds or things we should see and look out for. Any help would be appreciated.

oldcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Cool. We went up last year, in early June, before school was out up there and it was great. We left from our son's house in Frederick. Spent the first night north of Boston near Salisbury. Crossed into New Brunswick at St Stephen and spent a couple of nights at Fundy National Park, south of Moncton. We did not get to Halifax, but spent the next several days touring out of Baddeck on Cape Breton Island, which is the northern part of Nova Scotia. It was absolutely awesome. We will probably go back in the near future and spend a month or so exploring more of NS and getting up to the Gaspe Penninsula in Quebec. Make sure if you get to Cape Breton, you take the Cabot Trail, which is a wonderful ride around the island. Leave your Monty in camp for that ride! And make sure yo udo the loop in a clockwise direction. Gives you the best vistas! And did I mention lobster???
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Gary, the wife and I toured Nova Scotia back in 1991 on our Gold Wing motorcycle, along with three other couples. There is plenty to see and do. We also toured Prince Edward Island. Wish I could remember all the names of places and things that we did see, But CRS disease, (can't remember s----) has set in. However, it was a beautiful trip. I know you'll enjoy, and like Walt said, don't miss the Cabot Trail, awsome sights. Sorry, I can't help you with camp grounds, as we were on motorcycles, and moteling it.
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Our campground at Baddeck was the Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground, found at www.baddeckcabottrailcamp.com. If you can get in they have some nice pull thrus at the top of the hill. Centrally located and near several fine restaurants. On PEI we stayed at New Glasgow Campgrounds, which was terrific. It was built and is run by a retired Parks Canada employee, and is done to a tee. By the way, most of the national parks, like Fundy that I mentioned earlier, seem to have sites with full hook ups, including sewer. Have a great trip!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We spent the summer of 2008 in the Maritime.. If you go to my blog below and check out the one called Newfoundland you will find lots of things on Halifax on our return in late August 2008.. It was a GREAT place to visit..

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Like Helen said above, if you click on our signature link "Maritimes" you can read our blog re. our trip from MD to Nova Scotia etc. and what we saw and did for ideas. You'll love it! We did.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
We live in Bridgewater just an hour south of Halifax. Currently on our way across Canada to the Yukon and back (www.gypsies2.blogspot.com). Lot of things to do and see in the Halifax area. Downtown Halifax is an vibrant historic place with lots of great restaurants, pubs and great shopping. Outside Halifax is Peggys Cove, Lunenburg and the South shore of Nova Scotia. The whole place is steeped in history and great people. There are only three campgrounds that I know of in Greater Halifax, but many others outside, such as St Margarets Bay area, Lunenburg etc. When you enter Nova Scotia from New Brunswick, stop at the Nova Scotia tourists bureau, they will be a great help.
If you want some specific information, just PM us.
gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
oldcrow
Established Member

M.O.C. #10118
Thanks for all the great replies.We are are looking forward to this trip.
oldcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Look into going to Fortress Louisberg in Sydney, NS. What an experience! Everything is like it was around 1700--even the people running the place--they dress, talk and act like the early settlers. We spent a full day there and it was great! When we head back in a few years we will go again.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote