Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Moki Dugway movie!

Vicki found this movie on Youtube. Someone in what appears to be a semi tractor took a movie of their trip from top to bottom of the Moki Dugway. Some of you may recall our fairly recent discussion about this drive.

For the uninitiated, the Moki Dugway is a portion of Utah highway 261, north and a bit west of Mexican Hat. While at Monument Valley a couple of weeks ago we drove the Moki Dugway from bottom to top. At the top is the road to the Muley Point Overview, which we also took. Then we did the return down Moki Dugway, then turned left at the bottom and drove through the Valley of the Gods. Just a few miles east of Moki Dugway is the entrance to Goosenecks State Park (a free park). We visited Robbie and Alice Simons while they were boondocking at Goosenecks. Also, the Denners sent us pictures from when they also boondocked there. It's a fantastic boondocking location. And free.

Enjoy the movie. As it gets farther into the movie you begin to see what the Moki Dugway is all about.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Interesting movie Steve, did that idiot actually drive and film at the same time?? It sure looked like it. I can see my own white knuckles in that film. I may drive it in just the truck but the Big Sky stays in the CG.. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Steve: Haven"t ran the Moki for several years now. Not as bad as the Burr Trail (Capital Reef Nat. Park) or the Shaffer Trail in Canyonlands Nat. Park) Don't let the fact they are in the Nat.Park system make you think the are easy. My GPS showed 6 levels of road when we were last there.

No guard rails always gets people nervious. My BIL would not let me stop for him to make a photo he just shot out the windsheld.LOL Of course if Hertz knew where that van went.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Amazing,the driver is crazy shooting and driving at the same time. Looks like he's hauling a 53' trailer too.It takes a lot of experience with braking on a grade and distance like that!
If he broke down, in some area's it looks like he would block the whole road. What percentage is that grade and how many miles doe's it go for? If for some reason brakes gave out with no runaway ramp that would be it. Do they actually allowed big trucks to use that road?
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Didn't see the trailer the first time I watched the video. But I saw it the second time ... HOLY CRAP!!! that guy is a total nut job!!! There are some very scary turns on that road!!! Have to admit, my eyes were closed a couple of times along the way . We went from the bottom-up, hung a left and drove out to Muley Point ... the views from there are incredible.

Jack ... it's three miles long and is a 10% grade. And although vehicles over 28ft and 10,000 lbs are NOT recommended on that road, it is not illegal ... just unbelievably stupid. Can you imagine what went through the minds of those drivers who passed going the other way?

Murf ... we've driven the Shaffer Trail (loved it), but we'll have to put the Burr Trail on our To Do List.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bigmurf, like Vicki said, we loved the Shafer Trail but have not done the Burr Trail. Where is that?

I think what I found tougher on the Moki Dugway was the amount of traffic suddenly appearing from around that next curve. Naturally it was usually on a narrow part and they were always going too fast.

Dave, same here. The Montana stayed in the CG. I'd tow the Moki Dugway with our Montana but ONLY if ALL other traffic were stopped and off that stretch of road. We'd be way over the center on many of those curves. I can't imagine a semi with 53 foot trailer doing that stretch but apparently the guy in this film did have a trailer behind him. I did not see it until Vicki looked more closely after reading the above. Sure enough, there it is.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Vicki, I echoed your sentiment, almost involuntarily, and I suspect the oncoming cars did, too.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:17 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sorry, I don't have a big enough set to drive that road!!!!!!!Looks like sheer stupidity to me........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'd agree if driving a semi tractor and trailer. But, with a pickup or even a semi tractor without trailer it really wouldn't be that bad. We drove up and then back down. It's really not that bad without a trailer. I haven't yet driven the Devil's Backbone (it was still snowed in when we were there) but my understanding is that road is far more challenging than the Moki Dugway, not to mention a lot longer. And I know the Shaffer Trail was more challenging and much longer. This movie with the tractor and trailer does seem to be on the edge of insanity, though!
Old 05-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Steve, I was referring to driving it with truck and trailer, of course. I think the guy had to have a death wish!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Hey, Steve, I didn't know it had a name! Glad you found it as it really is an experience to drive or ride on it. Did you know the 3 vehicles that had gone over the edge several years ago, based on their age and rust? We actually met an 18 wheeler loaded with those huge rolled bales of hay. Needless to say, we stopped and waited for him to pass.

I'm really glad that you found that area and got to drive it.....and came down safely!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
All I gotta say is A BIG RIG on that road??? That driver is NUTZ!!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Oh we gotta do that with our old crew cab dually. Looks like it might be a little tighter than the "Going To The Sun Highway" in Glacier Park. And who knows, we might even run in to Glenn and Lorraine at the top
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
TBHD2, it's not really that bad. We were in our 3500 crew cab/megacab single rear wheel. The Shafer Trail was far tighter. I'd say Moki Dugway is no worse, really, than Going to the Sun road except this one is not paved.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:23 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I added to the blog link in our signature our pictures of our drive up Moki Dugway last year if you'd like to get another perspective. They bring back fond memories.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote