Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Slide Maintainance

Is there any routine maintainance to be done with the slides?I tried to search the question and found nothing.

Steve

sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
There are several brands of spray for the slide bars- I clean the old spray residue off the slide bars and respray all 4 sides of the bars at least twice a year- Our unit is hydraulicly operated- You can tell when it's time when the slides shudder or buck when they are being retracted- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I was told by Keystone's Service Center to use a dry spray lube that does not attract dirt. To demonstrate, they took the slide lube I had bought at Camping World, sprayed it on a piece of cardboard, then threw dirt on it. The dirt stuck. They then sprayed a piece of cardboard with a spray lube they had and the dirt did not stick. That particular brand was TFE 101 but there are others just as good. A teflon-based spray seems to be a good one.

Since I started using a spray that does not attract dirt I don't have to clean off any debris before lubing. Mabye if there was much or something but not normally. I try to lube it about once per year or whenever it starts to jump a little when moving the slides. Like Don said.

I think the key is to test the lube to make sure dirt does not stick to it. Otherwise, dirt will stick to your slide rails and get into the gears. Not good.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I was told by Keystone's Service Center to use a dry spray lube that does not attract dirt. To demonstrate, they took the slide lube I had bought at Camping World, sprayed it on a piece of cardboard, then threw dirt on it. The dirt stuck. They then sprayed a piece of cardboard with a spray lube they had and the dirt did not stick. That particular brand was TFE 101 but there are others just as good. A teflon-based spray seems to be a good one.

Since I started using a spray that does not attract dirt I don't have to clean off any debris before lubing. Maybe if there was much or something but not normally. I try to lube it about once per year or whenever it starts to jump a little when moving the slides. Like Don said.

I think the key is to test the lube to make sure dirt does not stick to it. Otherwise, dirt will stick to your slide rails and get into the gears. Not good.
Steve,
I owed you a report on the Spray Lube from CW made by Protect All. Today I sprayed it on a piece of cardboard and waited the requisite 2 hours for it to dry, then threw a handful of dirt on it. Although the spot I sprayed was dusty only a very few small granules of dirt actually stuck to the lube. Some will say that is a very few too many.

I have been using this brand for 7 years now on our previous and this rig with no issues. I have never cleaned the rails before I apply it and just spray where I can see the coating has worn away from opening and closing the slides. I too try to hit them at least once a year or when they start to make screeching noises when opening or closing them.

Jack
Old 07-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Thanks for the info I will do the same.

Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Other than the slide rails, you shold use a lubricant on the seals on the side of the slides, keeps them supple.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
There is a bolt in the bar that keeps the slide move the same speed you need to inspect. Get the size and get you a spare for if and when it gives up the ghost.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the report, Jack. That's sure a gorgeous truck. I've been very happy with our Dodge/Cummins for it's 80k miles but the new ones have so many nice features that were not available in '07 that if I win a lottery we'll have a new one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Thanks for the report, Jack. That's sure a gorgeous truck. I've been very happy with our Dodge/Cummins for it's 80k miles but the new ones have so many nice features that were not available in '07 that if I win a lottery we'll have a new one.
Thanks Steve. We are off on our first road trip with it tomorrow....a short 380 mile trip to Pendleton, OR for some repairs to the Monty. I am anxious to see how it tows in the mountains and can't wait to use the exhaust brake on the down grades. I will post over on the "Tow Vehicles & Towing" page with a report of how it did. I know there were quite a few interested in the performance of the new High Output Cummins.

Jack
Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Other than the slide rails, you shold use a lubricant on the seals on the side of the slides, keeps them supple.....
Phil,
Thanks for the reminder.....I need to do that

Jack