Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Another vote for the AlCan. Not the whole road, only parts. Canada knows that past a certain point, nearly all traffic is going to Alaska, so they don't give a crap about maintaining it.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #22
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sierra 117

I-40 through Oklahoma City.
I'd say I 40 between OKC and the TX line. After that trip, when we got home, we went out and got a 5th Airborne pin box.

A later poster mentioned I 40 in AR...it's now fixed and is a great road.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #23
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 49merc

Moonshine Pass Rd. I've lived and traveled all of Oregon all my life and have never heard of it. Where might that be Phil? So I can advoid it in the future.
Bob
Bob, three years ago we were westbound on OR 20 going from the Bend area to the coast. I think this was a logging road near Lebanon or Corvalis that my GPS told me to take to get to Siletz. We followed awhile and when the road became gravel and up the side of a mountain we made a ten point turnaround and went back down the hill. Shortly after, as we were on the side of the road checking a map, a logging truck screamed by, we stopped him and got our directions again and had an uneventful trip the rest of the way. I didn't see any moonshine and this certainly wasn't a pass. Can't locate it on a map now, probably long washed out.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
That explains why I couldn't find it. Those log truck roads can be hazardous to your health There's another one like that going to the coast from Carlton OR. to Beaver OR. Beautiful drive but brutal.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
http://www.hpw.gov.yk.ca/pdf/shakwakprojectbrochure09.pdf

Interesting reading.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:44 AM   #26
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
My vote is for I10 LA. We are still shaking from being there in March. Then on our return to Canada we traveled from Shediac to Miramichi New Brunswick on Hwy 11. I felt like Stirling Moss trying to dodge the pot holes. On a positive they have now filed most of them in the past week.
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #27
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I84 ten miles (?) or so into NY from PA...not that the road is so bad, it's that it has some pretty challenging climbs along the way.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #28
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Anyone who has traveled to Alaska will tell you the roads through parts of BC, AB, Yukon & parts of Alaska will rank at the top of their lists of bad roads they have traveled. It is not only the long stretches of gravel roads and construction areas, it is the really bad frost heaves, bumps and dips that are unmarked that you come up on that can do some damage.

We hit a series of dips close together at a spot in the road a few miles before you get to Pink Mountain and right after the place the Mile Post calls the Cut on the Alcan Hwy that caused some damage. I was looking in the mirror checking out the traffic behind me and turned my eyes back to the road ahead and there was the really bad dips. Not a chance to even slow up. Down the road a ways I had a chance to pull over and check things out. The inventory of things to fix was several. Bent back shade, broken recliner, couch drawer dropped off it's track, fan blade fell off, and of course the cabinets were all jumbled. DW was even looking forward and did not see the dips coming. I also think the springs may have flattened out a little. When I get back down to the lower 48 I will have the alignment checked and perhaps new USA made springs. I am assuming I have springs made in China.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #29
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
As Peter pointed out above (see the link in his post), there was an agreement reached in 1977 between Canada & the US regarding the AlCan highway, referred to as the Shakwak Agreement. The problem one side didn't live up to their side of the bargain in maintaining the highway. From what I was told (by more than one person) was that past a certain point, Canada figured 90%+ of the traffic was going to Alaska, and therefore didn't want to waste money on something neither they nor their citizens would realize a return on. So the US stepped back in and gave Canada more money to do needed repairs, which have been getting done. The fly in the ointment is with the frost heaves happening every year, this has to be an on going project, and both sides have drug their feet on this. The US feels that the road is in Canada and services Canadian towns, plus Canada agreed in the Shawak Agreement to maintain the road. Canada feels that the majority of traffic, especially truck and tourists are going to Alaska, and don't give Canada a return on investment, per say.

One thing you MUST look out for on Canadian roads are Orange flags/cones. These mark frost heaves in the road. Unfortunately, some of these markers are quite small, literally a strip of cloth tied to a stick stuck in the ground, and are hard to see and therefore easy to miss until it's too late.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #30
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
I have to agree the AlCan hwy is terrible as slow as you go its still rough. We had the TV break loose from the cabinet it was screwed into and a broken window on the street side of the 5r from a passing truuck, they don't slow down. Can't wait to see the shape its in when we get back to the lower 48. We were hoping the TV had broken its an old one and needed a reason to get a new flat screen but no such luck.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote