Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
stupid beeping sound

so I'm on the road to recovery, and having to take it easy with four suture sites in my back...I go over to the monty this morning to do some measuring for the next mod. It's in storage...I unlock the door, walk in and there's an annoying beeping sound and it's coming from that li'l box by the floor in the kitchen. I check the battery monitor and it shows 3 bars...I know it's low, because I've been opening the slides a lot to do mods...so I go to open the slides to get over into the kitchen, and they won't open? I'm going to *assume* my battery is really low (even tho' monitor shows 3 outta 4 bars)...I took the battery out and put it on the charger.
So...did the alarm go off from low batt, or did the alarm cause low batt, or what's going on? BTW, both propane tanks are and have been off..and I didn't leave any lights on either.
Bill

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The alarm is your propane detector and it will beep when the battery is low. It can also be slow drain on your battery.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

The alarm is your propane detector and it will beep when the battery is low. It can also be slow drain on your battery.
That's kinda what I figured...I must've been borderline on the batt after closing it last time (last week), then the prop alarm picked up it being low, then it started beeping and made it even lower.
Sound about right? What I don't really understand is why my batt monitor shows 3 out of 4 lights...I've had it that low before, and still been able to open the slides.

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wild Horse, IF you are talking about the OEM monitor on the wall, the one with the tank gauges, I wound not trust that for anything. I just don't trust that thing at all, others don't either. Perhaps a quality battery monitor if you use the batt power a lot. I am mostly hooked to cg power so I don't really worry about my battery that much.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
With this brand of trailer as with other brands the only thing you can really count on is your fingers.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

We had the same issue with previous unit...now we remove the battery when we put our rig in storage and put it on a charger. Eliminates the annoying beep and the battery is always ready to travel when we are.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
I had the same problem. I installed a batt cut off switch and always turn the the batt off when I store the rig. no problems since...
bill maietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The battery meter on the OEM panel only tells you voltage coming out of the battery. If you push the button and read three bars and at the same time push the slide button you will see the battery meter go to one light. I had the same problem when our converter crapped out while in NY last fall and the house battery got weak. The battery meter said I had voltage but as soon as I hit anything that added a draw to it the voltage dropped to nothing and the propane detector and fridge started acting up. As soon as I got a charger on the battery while waiting for the new converter all the beeps and flashing went away. The fridge has a constant draw on 12 volts as does the propane detector and CO detector. Smoke detector has internal battery. Even what little draw those items have will draw the battery down eventually so a knife switch is a good idea... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote