Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
trophyhusband
Established Member

M.O.C. #10216
how do i repair wheel wells?

i had a blow-out on the front axle passenger side but didn't know it until i stopped for gas. fortunately the damage was minimal compared to what other people have experienced. directly above the tire a 6x18 inch section of the insulation is gone. fortunately there's no damage to the wood sbfloor above the insulation. the outermost material is something like a tough version of tarp material. does anyone know a way to put a patch on this that will withstand the elements?

btw, i immediately bought a tpms and a 3 ton floor jack as it took almost 2 hours to change the tire with a 2 ton bottle jack.

trophyhusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I worked a thin piece of sheet metal between the frame and the floor, bent a 90*lip down on the outer edge and riveted it to the square tubing that you'll see. Make it long enough to extend over the plastic covers fore and aft of the tires. You'll have to remove the fender skirt, and it would make the job easier if you remove the wheels. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Been there Done that with lots of damage. I think you will be in better shape going to Lowes and buying a minimum of 6 ton. I bought a 12 ton, safer and I can lift from the frame of the rig in one run. No more having to "step" it up like I had to do with my old 2 ton jacks. We have an 08 Big Sky and the only thing above the wheels was the heavy black tarp like material although we lost the fender skirts and fender well ends... Save
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
trophyhusband
Established Member

M.O.C. #10216
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Crossthread

I worked a thin piece of sheet metal between the frame and the floor, bent a 90*lip down on the outer edge and riveted it to the square tubing that you'll see. Make it long enough to extend over the plastic covers fore and aft of the tires. You'll have to remove the fender skirt, and it would make the job easier if you remove the wheels. Bill
good idea, that's what i'll do. skirt has to come off anyway to either be cleaned or replaced (there's a lot of black rubber on it). the tires all have to come off to have metal valve stems put on as well.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
trophyhusband
Established Member

M.O.C. #10216
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Been there Done that with lots of damage. I think you will be in better shape going to Lowes and buying a minimum of 6 ton. I bought a 12 ton, safer and I can lift from the frame of the rig in one run. No more having to "step" it up like I had to do with my old 2 ton jacks. We have an 08 Big Sky and the only thing above the wheels was the heavy black tarp like material although we lost the fender skirts and fender well ends... Save
i tested out the new jack and it worked like a charm. i also bought jack stands to put under the axle for safety. i don't trust any jack. i was pretty lucky that i didn't have any more damage than i did. some of the metal skirt in front of the tire got ripped and bent, but its not visible and is fixable.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
When using the jack stands on the axles, place them between the u bolts where there is a solid core. Too far in and you will bend the axles.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote