Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Winterizing and Battery

OK troops, being a newbie and never having winterized before, I have a question for the "wise ones" out there! I'm hoping I know how to winterize the fiver and get it set for this good old Nebraska winter weather--wish we could head down to Arizona or New Mexico with it but can't this year--but what I need to know is if I need to pull the battery out of the fiver when I winterize. Since it get's down into the teens and below here in the winter, do I need to pull the battery and put it inside for the winter?

I've been very diligent on checking the water levels since the previous owner told me to make sure I checked it monthly because it goes down. Which reminds me-- what causes the battery to loose fluid even if it is plugged in with a shore line all the time?

I'm hoping I will be able to put it undercover for the winter out at the farm about 40 miles from here and just need to know about the battery and any other help you think I might need!

Thanks to all in advance!

Rondo

Any help would be appreciated!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rondo, I just disconnect the cables and leave it (them) in the Monty. If you were to have a battery freeze and break, the Monty tray lets the electrolyte dump to ground instead of in the cabinet.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Brad,
Clarification please, you disconnect the cables or just use the disconnect switch??? Is there a difference??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm probably over cautious Bingo, but the master does not isolate the batteries completely. Unfortunately Kestone got a little lazy on the cable runs and left the landing gear and slides in front of the switch.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
So it sounds like either way would work then. You know my philosophy, if I can reduce any amount of work, I am all for it. Cables stay on, switch stays off, less work for me, therefore it is better for me. Ha Ha
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Rondo, Only my personel opinion, if you are going to store the Montana undercover for more than a month, or where it could be below freezing for more than 24 hours, I'd pull the battery(s), I'd take then back with you and keep them where they will not freeze, and could be charged before putting them back in.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We live in Omaha too. We take the batteries out and put them in the garage--put the trickly charger on them a couple of times in the winter so that they are ready to go when the weather gets nice again
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I will pull mine and watch the voltage has it drops then put it under a charge. It could get very cold here in Illinois, may have to bring in the brass monkey?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:28 AM   #9
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I remove and top-up charge. I put them in an unheated shed but a basement corner is good. I check them to see if they are charged each month and then recharge as necessary using a 2 amp charge. Batteries keep best fully charged or close to it. BTW a plastic cap for the + terminal prevents accidental shorts should a conductor fall across both terminals. The caps can be purchased at most auto parts stores.

I added this link on edit.

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html#3

I have two Sunlyte 12-5000 Photovoltaic 100AH batteries. They are designed for low amperage charging from a solar array although they will take a regular charge from the truck/RV charging system or a regualr plug-in charger without damage. The spec sheet gives you an idea of why it is so important to keep the batteries topped-up. For these batteries maintaining the charge at no less han 80% of full charge means 2-3 times the life expectency. My friend has one of these in his truck and it is still going strong after 10 years.

http://www.tpscrail.com/Products/GNB...0datasheet.pdf
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do as Brad mentioned; unhook the cables and leave in the coach for winter. I also put the battery charger on it to make sure the battery is fully charged before putting the coach away for winter.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #11
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Uh oh.
I just winterized mine, cut the power at the source and left my battery in there. I was going to take it home but was thinking that if all the RV dealers in the far north leave them in all year I can too.
But...if my battery goes down because of whatever it is in the refer that keeps running even when the fridge is off, am I going to br able to open the slides without waiting for the battery to charge?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
From an old battery man (was part of our Tire and Battery Service business) disconnect all cables as this is the only way to eliminate all current draw. Do Not rely on the battery disconnect switch. Fully charge the battery and leave it in the Monty. A partially or fully charged battery will not freeze. If it does freeze than it was no good anyway and needs replacing.

Quote:
quote:But...if my battery goes down because of whatever it is in the refer that keeps running even when the fridge is off, am I going to br able to open the slides without waiting for the battery to charge?
NO! It takes a fully charged battery or hooked up to 110V to operate the slides.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I take mine out and put it in the garage. To me, it's another security item (as well as better for the battery), without the battery the landing gear won't work...so if somebody wants to steal the trailer at least they'll have to supply their own battery.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote