Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
HOW LONG CAN THIS UTOPIA GO ON

I would like to pose a question to MOC. Without telling us how old you are (unless you want to), how many or you are still actively RVing, either full time or part time, and are over 75? Also do any of you still actively RV that are handicapped. My reason for this question is to think about how long we can do this. I realize a lot of it depends on health and the character of each person.

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I can't tell if you are asking the membership or just the Admin? But I'll stick my post in here and tell you that we are in our very early 50s and hope to RV for a long, long time, but we have to retire so we can do it full-time and that isn't happening for about 8 years.

And you are right..... this place is utopia!

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am 25 and already planning for the day when I can go fulltime. The RV'ing lifestyle has been so much fun already. Have met many great people on the highways and campgrounds. I also have to agree, this place is utpoia!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
You are only as young as you want to be. I am almost 62 and plan on at least 5 to 7 years rving before I need to settle down due to health reasons. Yes we do have utpoia here on this forum. Glad to have you. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:47 AM   #5
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
I am 63 years old and jhave been retired for over 5 years. Plan on going fulltiming next Spring. Hope to have ten or more years of this utopia.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:45 AM   #6
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Well I am 61 and feel like I am 16 when it comes to my Montana,LOL. When we get where we can no longer do the going down the road thing we will find the perfect place for us and park this baby and just camp every day. We are retired now and loving every bit of it, and god forbid that something was to ever happen to my sweetie I would do the same thing by myself.

We have never been so happy sense selling everything and moving into our Montana,and health wise I fight that battle everyday but cannot see myself doing anything different.

Now for the utopia part I am on top of the world because of my Montana and being a member of the greatest forum on the net.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:09 AM   #7
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Well since you asked I will be 48 in December. I have either tent camped or RV camped as far back in my life as I can remember. My youngest son will graduate high school 2006. He is a real big name quarterback (top 10 in the state) here in Florida high school football. If he gets a scholarship my wife and I plan on going full time RV. If all goes right we plan to retire 2 to 3 years from now, sell everything and I mean everything and hit the road. We will have raised 3 great kids and it will be time for us. Neither one of us see a time in the future that we will not be RVing/camping. It's in our blood. Yes, age and health have a lot to do with it but...Several years back (almost 10 now) I owned my own business, I was over weight, burned out, and experienced a wake up call. I had what the doctors called a stress induced heart attack. IT GOT MY ATTENTION. I sold my business, lost 68 lbs, made it a point to spend more time doing what was right for me and my family and have not looked back. My wife and I plan to continue RVing as far into the future as we possibly can which we hope is a very long time. When our youngest has finished high school my wife and I will have spent 28 years raising our children all of which are very special. But, now it's time for us to see grand kids, places like Alaska and not worry about getting to work on time or do we have enough vacation time to see the mountains again.

I hope that I am still RVing when the state comes to take my drivers lic. because I am too old to drive.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:24 AM   #8
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Sheeeeesh; A bunch of snotty nosed kids in here!!! I will be 74 in June and my traveling companion, Jeanne, is 72 in April. I retired from truck driving in '93, then worked part time as a charter bus driver, heavy vehicle test driver for Bosch Automotive Proving Ground, and lastly as a "go-fer" for Ryder Truck Leasing in South Bend. Retired from that 4 years ago.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:08 AM   #9
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
We are late forties. I've given thought about the age thing too since there is some physical labor (although it's limited). Hope to hang in at least into our seventies. Just got done with our last outing for the season (Vermont). I'll be hoping for an early spring...
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:24 PM   #10
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Faye & I are 63 & are planning oin slowing down at around 80 or so. Some good friends of ours, who are in their early eighties. Jst bought a nes M H & are going to Fl this winter.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:58 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Gene,
We are about the same age and glad to hear you are planning until you are 80. I hope we can also. Since I am partilly disabled I'm not sure I could do it if something happens to Ed but guess I could try. I've helped hook up and unhook and I know how, just not sure I can physcially do it. I'd probably need some good neighbors.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:46 AM   #12
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We just turned 70. Plan to travel until they pry my drivers license from my cold dead hands. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 03:52 AM   #13
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Treecounter

We just turned 70. Plan to travel until they pry my drivers license from my cold dead hands. Treecounter
Thank you. I was told by my wife and kids that I am crazy for saying that. Now at least I know there are others who feel the same way. Right on and keep on truckin until you can no more.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 10-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I know of at least one member who is disabled and actively RV's although not fulltime. Those folks did travel cross country from the west coast to attend the rally.

I am 57, Vicki will be 55 this coming Friday. We've been fulltiming for almost 19 months. When we started FT we said in 18 months we'll re-evaluate. We did that and decided to continue on (unamimous decision!) and re-evaluate again when I turn 62. I fully expect to continue FT until health intervenes or we just plain are ready to settle down and just do long trips. But we plan to be RV'ing until we just can't do it any more. Glad to see others feeling the same way. I can't imagine not rv'ing anymore.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:39 AM   #15
Little Rascal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #726
We're in our early 30's and we pray each night for extended good health so that we can keep on going. Although, yesterday when I was putting the stabilizing jacks down, I did holler to the other end of the trailer to my husband that I saw on this forum some people are using power tools to lower/raise the jacks. He hollered back and told me to "keep on crankin!" LOL
Little Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:33 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Little Rascal,
My husband said much the same thing when I told him what others were doing. He said he hopes he can still crank for a couple of years. If I ever travel alone though I might think about it.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:45 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I think I know what you would are buying your husband for a christmas present this year. A new power drill with the proper socket already set in the drill ready to use on those jacks. LOL... Better yet, I think I know what I am going to buy myself this year. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:12 AM   #18
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Little Rascal,
You put down the stablizer jacks? Man I tried to get my wife to do that and she asked if I was crazy or what!

Steve,
When you all decided to go fulltime did you sell everything, what did you keep, did you get a storage facility, did you keep your house as a home base? My wife's biggest concern about going fulltime is what to do with her collectables (pottery, mother's crystal, etc)? We were talking this past weekend about when the day comes to go fulltime (it's not if we do rather its when) and what we plan to keep and what to get rid of. We have already started going through things and either giving things to the kids and their families or charity. We have about 3 to 4 years before we actually go fulltime.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 10-18-2004, 12:37 PM   #19
Little Rascal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #726
I do have a few "outside duties" when it comes to camping...but do spend most of my time setting up/tearing down inside. I was on the roof tonight putting the cover on...fun stuff! After crawling underneath and hooking up the straps tonight on the cover, I've added to my husband's Christmas list...he's also getting one of those flat roller things that goes under vehicles...with cushions! LOL
Little Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:11 PM   #20
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
We are in our early 60s and just started this
"almost" fulltiming! We found that we love this life and when it's time to go "home" we stay only as long as necessary before heading out again. As soon as we're on the road we are planning our next "adventure" and where we will go next. We, too, are concerned about making that final decision to give it all up for fulltiming. Like some of the gals, the female #29 fan doesn't know what to do with all the treasures of a lifetime and worries about where the grandkids will come for Christmas, etc. A trip to Florida sounds like a pretty good Christmas present for the entire family !
And like all of you say, we hope to keep going until we can't go any more!
#29 fans Chuck and Linda Clements
Posey, CA
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote