Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
New prayers for Florida

Here comes Jeanne, we hope you are all prepared and better yet are in a safe place.

Let us hear from you all and how you are doing!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
We are praying for Florida as this storm approaches, I wonder has anyone heard from fla native ?? I have not seen her post in a while. I sure hope that everything is ok.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:54 PM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Here we blow again. I havent saw fla native either. She should be ok where she is I hope. As far as we go we're taking this one down the gullet again. The Monty faired well in Frances and I hope it will in Jeanne. I hope all is well with all the other Fla residents and from the rally in Indy. I need a vacation... lol. 3 more weeks.. Take care all
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:25 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
How long can this keep up? Is the season about over? We feel so bad for the Floridians that have to keep going through this time after time.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
The season ends Nov 30. Today was the first time in a 100 years that a state has been hit by 4 Hurricanes in one season. Texas was hit in 1880 4 times.

Jeane is now leaving my area and I also survived Francis but I had to prepare for Charley and IVan. My son got hit by Charley, Francis and Jeane. It leaves you exhausted. I had been planning to go to the rally but these storms really put a stop to it.

My damage on first glance is minimal but my heart goes out to the fellow Floridians that took the brunt of the storms. Gone are the days for the 500 dollar deductable for hurricanes in Florida. It is now about 5 percent of the insured value which means on a 200000 house the owner has to pay the first 10,000 in damages. FEMA is here chiping in but I don't know how it is working out. It will take 6-12 months before we know how good they were.

Fla Native posted tonight so it is good to hear that she was alright. Have not heard from Rob Cooley who is about 50 miles north of us.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Another two months of hurricane season? Is it really worth living there? I have never spent any time in Florida other than a few days. I am not used to the humidity that is there, so I really wonder what it is that attracts so many people to Florida. This season will probably make alot of people rethink why the have chosen Florida to be there home.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 06:25 PM   #7
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I think I'll jump in here on this one. I just wrote a long post on my "Live from Jeanne" thread and the forum would not accept me. So I'll try here.

The Hurricane season is "officially" for two more months, but the end of Sept is really the end of the serious hurricanes. The Atlantic waters get cool enough not to support such massive storms. So if we do get storms after Sept they are mostly just tropical or little bitty things.

What we have just been through has never happened in the recorded history of Florida. It happened it the early 1800's in Texas. But the population was only about 100,000 people. Calif could be hit by a series of earthquakes. The midwest by a series of Tornado's. You never know, or have any control over the weather. Wherever you are.

As far as the "humidity". Well it is humid. Very humid. From early to late June until the end of Sept. Then something happens and the weather turns crisp and light, the sun shines bright, but not too hot. The morning and nights are cool. The birds begin migrating back. You can turn your AC off and open the windows. Winter comes. It can get very cold. For a few days. Then back to nice again. This goes on through May. If Florida does get an especially cold winter, you can bet it is very, very cold up north. There are no snow tires, winter clothes, or high heating bills. You can boat, fish, cook out, and swim in comfort more days than you can up north. You can wear shorts and sandals and move around the state visiting the National and State parks getting up close and personal with the wildlife.

Don't get me wrong. I look forward to the day I have set myself up to spend "Hurricane Season" elsewhere. But as a native I know that's really only from August through September. With a few freak storms thrown in here and there.

This hurricane season was a real fluke. No doubt about it. But I have met some great people either running from storms or from or helping out after they are over. There is a silver lining if you look for it.

Maybe Florida is a state you have to appreciate moment by moment for what it has to offer...but maybe that's important no matter where you are.

"When you wish upon a star...."
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:25 AM   #8
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
My heart goes out to all of you affect by these horrible storms. All I can say is the temps below zero in the winter aren't that bad! LOL And since we don't live in tornado alley we don't see that much action. *knock on wood*
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I will be staying in Florida. Been here about eight years and two Huricanes with two direct hits at my home and no damage other than yard cleanup. Even lil Monty was not damaged. I would rather be here than next to Mt St Helens right now. Hope that doesn't offend someone.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:14 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We are just glad you are all ok!

And we are praying for NO MORE STORMS in 2004!

My mom wrote me email, she is in Ft Lauderdale, she had managed to get the mess from Frances cleaned up, and did not get too much of Jeanne. Did some minor damage to bushes, trees, etc, and tore up some of the screen room around her pool. She never lost her power, so all is pretty good for her.

Enough now, lets get this mess cleaned up and NO MORE STORMS FOR A WHILE!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
All is well here in Ft Pierce. The power is getting restored slowly but its happening. It looks like a war zone,of course it did before Jeanne too. Monty took the storm again until a tree decided to punch a hole in the roof. Have it fixed temp. Other than that we are hanging in there. There are so many people without right now. How do you tell an elderly person they have to start over? Many dont have the funds to do it. Its really sad. Glad to hear all the other Fla. ppl are doing ok. Thanks again
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:12 AM   #12
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We live in Merritt Island and had to leave for both Frances and Jeanne. Both times we headed to GA (Frances- St. Marys,GA Shady Oaks CG; Jeanne-Thomasville,GA Sugar Mill RV Park). At both places the people running them did everything in their power to make our stay as comfortable as possible. We too met wonderful people.

During Frances we were in our old trailer (Fleetwood 30E Mallard). We picked up our new 327RKS on Friday as the evacuation orders were given. Man what a difference from our stay during Frances compared to during Jeanne in our new one.

The things that helped us get through it all were all the prayers, phone calls from friends and family and all the kind words from the people we met along the way.

Lets hope there are no more storms with Florida as their destination. I love Florida and have been here most of my life but enough is enough. The NC mountains are sure looking good right about now.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island FL
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:04 AM   #13
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
Boy, you folks have had you share of weather, thank God that you all came out all right. If there anything you guys need please let us know. If you need a break form all Florida sun shine your more than welcome to stay here in Idaho on my farm. (winter is not a good time..lol)
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #14
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
FlaNative,
What a story you have told and what a beautiful endorsement of your state! Sometimes you have to play the hand you're dealt and you Florida people seem to be doing it well. Thank goodness you have survived and hopefully can begin to put your lives back in order. And MOC friends you're right, too, about there always being something in your neighborhood. California has its earthquakes and we have had 3-4 pretty strong shakings just this past week. No damage but makes us all a little nervous.
So continue to take care and keep those posts coming if you can. We want to hear that all of you are OK
#29 fans Chuck and Linda Clements
Posey, CA
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote