Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
IAMontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #9670
I'm curious how many younger full timers out here

My wife and some friends were talking the other day and the question was brought up about how many full timers were out there, still working or not. 30's,40's,50's my wife and I are in our mid 40's and find it hard some times to find people our age living the same dream as we are. There have been times when we feel like we are being looked at like what are you doing here you haven't put in your time out there to be here now and then there are times when you find the crowd that doesn't care and its all about the dream. So my question is are you in your 30's to 50's full timing and where do you travel to for how long and how do you pay for your travels and what made you decide to become full timers. Most of my customers told me if you can find away to do it now then do it do not wait till you retire it might not give you enough time to do what you want or you may not have your health or money to do so.

IAMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:57 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by IAMontana

My wife and some friends were talking the other day and the question was brought up about how many full timers were out there, still working or not. 30's,40's,50's my wife and I are in our mid 40's and find it hard some times to find people our age living the same dream as we are. There have been times when we feel like we are being looked at like what are you doing here you haven't put in your time out there to be here now and then there are times when you find the crowd that doesn't care and its all about the dream. So my question is are you in your 30's to 50's full timing and where do you travel to for how long and how do you pay for your travels and what made you decide to become full timers. Most of my customers told me if you can find away to do it now then do it do not wait till you retire it might not give you enough time to do what you want or you may not have your health or money to do so.
We waited until age 60 and now, 6 years later, wished we had done it much, much sooner.

As far as There have been times when we feel like we are being looked at like what are you doing here you haven't put in your time out there to be here now . Put it out of your mind. Folks with that type attitude are either crazy or very very jealous. I vote for jealous.

BTW..This past October 18th was our 6 year anniversary. Doesn't seem that long ago since we jumped into fulltiming lifestyle and the best part is we never ever lived in an RV prior to our going fulltime.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
retired with wife at 55, we had the dream for years so we had ordered our 3400RL to suit us before hand, sold the house, kids got lots of stuff, cheap yardsale,some in storage. Been full timin since 8-07 and love it! and I KNOW the jealousy stuff is true for sure! Workin till ya die is easy,lots of people do it! NOT for us! Work camp and camp hosting keep us livin where we want, when we want. Life is Good
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:45 AM   #4
bulldog402
Established Member

M.O.C. #6927
My wife and I are 53 and have been full timing it for a year and a half. We I retire in 44 weeks (who's counting) we will then live out our dream and hit the road! Neither of us can wait. Our longest ntrip so far was the whole month of June to Indiana to visit family.
bulldog402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok...I'm jealous...52 and wishing I was doing it full time.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
65 and waiting for the opportunity...
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I will be retiring from the Army in 2 more weeks and then really fulltiming. We have been in our Montana for the last years waiting for this day to come. I am 50 and my better half is 40. We do get the looks when we are out but I think most of that is jealously. We seem to be the youngsters in any of the group functions we do but that has advantages. It has been great so far and we are so glad we didn't wait.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We also retired/fulltimed @ 54/51. We definitely got the jealousy thing from a few. We never felt guilty about it though - in the least...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
wife and i are 49 51 enjoying it since june 2009
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:49 AM   #10
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
My husband and I are 51/53 and have been snowbirding since we were 45/47 and went full time at 49/51. Yes there is the jealosy look....I always tell people we never had kids and the expense of kids. So many people are finding it hard to break away from being the kids bank and babysitters. Sometimes we even get down in the dumps because everyone around us is in there 70's and 80's, but in the summer when we workamp at distination vacation resorts we are surrounded by young familys and it balances everything out. We are SO glad we are doing this young while we can enjoy. We find we can be a helping had to many of the older folks out there too. Have fun...
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Wife (49) and I (50) started fulltiming in March of this year when the house sold. We are still working our fulltime careers while living in the Montana, saving money and paying off the few bills we have left so we can start our travels. We are both looking forward to the freedon and have been planning our jump to fulltiming for about 3 years now.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
wife and i are 53, i'm retired did that at 50. I do work and can kind of come and go as i please. we travel every chance we get.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am older than dirt and retired 11 years ago. Helen however retired from the Federal Government at age 55 and two weeks in Oct of 06 and we have been on the go ever since. I am also a retired Fed.. and that's retired..not retarded.. Retire as soon as your resources allow it and never mind what others may think. It is your aventure. Live it as long as you can.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
I am 54 and my wife is 53, we have not yet retired but are about to spend our 3rd winter in Florida

We can both work remotely and have been doing so quite effectievely the past two winters.

As long as I can be out of New England during the winter months, I'm fine with contniuing to work.

Right now going to Florida for 3 months is working - I would like to go for 5 months (Nov-Mar), but my wife is not quite ready to leave before XMAS, but I'm outta here on 12/27
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I retired at 39 and the wife was 26, that was 30 years ago this April and now I'm older than dirt and the wife is still 13 yeasr younger, we did get the odd looks, mainly of envy, now it's expected so we finally fit in. Retire when you can, you only come this way once, enjoy it. If you feel that you HAVE to work, you are not doing retirement correctly.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
If I ever see you, the look will be envy, not jealousy. I say enjoy what you work for and if anybody doesn't like it, they can look the other way.
shotgunred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:51 AM   #17
gtg935w

M.O.C. #9688
Heh, I'm willing to bet that my wife and I take the cake on this one, while not retired my job allows me to full time around the country and my wife and I are only 23/24 respectively. I work long hours but it sure is a wonderful feeling to come home to a campground and immediately feel like I'm on a mini-vacation.
gtg935w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #18
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Jealousy.Nope. Good for you guys. My wife and I have been planning for retirement for 10 years with RVing in our blood. We plan for a 5 month trip around NA in Jan. then back to work for 7 months and then south for all winter months from there on out. Health permitting. If we see you on the road don't worry you are part of the family of RVrs. See you all on the road.
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 AM   #19
IAMontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #9670
Since we do not have a retirement plan what is the best way to pay the bill for the truck,trailer,costs of living and still put money aside for emergencies with out planting your feet or tires somewhere for a long time. I was a first responder for hurricanes Katrina, Wilma, and Rita in 05 and 06 when I fell in love with full timing and have done it ever since. I started an RV repair shop in Iowa thinking it would be seasonal, and it was the first 2 years and I was able to travel to the valley in Texas (where I got the looks). But now my reputation is so good that I have not been able to leave for 3 years now (except for the weekend get aways). Don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoy my business but I was hoping to be able to have time to travel to warmer climates in the winter and do the same work there to pay the bills. I could sell my shop assets to pay off what little the company owes and have plenty to get started on the road But I here of a lot of people some good but most inexperienced in the rv repair world and I think that would be a hendrence to my success as a travling rv tech. So I am still looking for a good way to support my travels any ideas?
IAMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:12 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Workcamping is a option but there is not all that much money in it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote