Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
"New" swing out sewer hose

Hello all, just picked up our new 3402RL on Saturday and going out this weekend for the first time with it. We traded in a 2006 336RLT Mountaineer on it and REALLY like the quality finishings and craftmanship in this new one (the Mountaineer was great too for 5 years). One thing I am having a little trouble getting used to or even liking is the "new" swing out sewer hose holder. I installed my hose in it on Sunday and hooked it up, but still not sure it will work well. I think it will be fine if the dump is even with the swing or in front, but if it is behind it (like it seems to be most often) it won't work well. The swing only goes out to 90 degrees. Am I missing something or is it time to take this new gadget off of the trailer? Thanks in advance. -Glenn

Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I modified mine so it works for me. Others have done similiar mods but some have removed it.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Glenn,
If you do a search on sewer boom you will find serveral discussions on it. Many hate it and have removed the boom. I, for one like mine. Mine rotates 180 degrees. The original came with a short tube so I replaced mine with a longer one. The newer models have a longer tube.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Okay, that explains why I could not find it when I searched. I did not look for "sewer boom". Thanks Mike and Ken.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn the fifth

Hello all, just picked up our new 3402RL on Saturday and going out this weekend for the first time with it. We traded in a 2006 336RLT Mountaineer on it and REALLY like the quality finishings and craftmanship in this new one (the Mountaineer was great too for 5 years). One thing I am having a little trouble getting used to or even liking is the "new" swing out sewer hose holder. I installed my hose in it on Sunday and hooked it up, but still not sure it will work well. I think it will be fine if the dump is even with the swing or in front, but if it is behind it (like it seems to be most often) it won't work well. The swing only goes out to 90 degrees. Am I missing something or is it time to take this new gadget off of the trailer? Thanks in advance. -Glenn
You are correct Glenn. The boom swings easily from 0 to 90 degrees, but when you go beyond 90 degrees to the full 180 degrees, the hose has to bend back on itself (essentially putting a kink in it). This is due to the boom pivot point being located forward of the drain outlet instead of being centered on it.

My plan is to cut off the boom bracket where it attachs to the trailer and adding some length to the bracket so it repositions the pivot point at the center of the drain outlet. This should free the boom up to easily swivel the full 180 degrees.
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Here ya go; See KTManic
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...rms=sewer,boom
I especially liked adding another gate valve. I could see an internal valve failing in the open position and no way to stop the flow easily.
Rather that attaching the new boom at the convience center, I make another bracket, attached it to the I-beam and locked the boom down at the additional bracket.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
I used(purchased) a 10 foot Rino hose,it fits in the tube.I then have a 15 foot that I attach when camped.Mine swivels 180.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Our trailer is a 2010 and we have yet to use the boom. I like to use the 45 degree clear plastic elbow so I can see when the black tank is flowing clear when flushing. I also like to rinse out the hose after dumping with Pinesol to sanitize.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
So far we haven't had a problem with ours, but I'm monitoring the mods in case I decide to go that way at some point.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We like it. I have to unscrew my sewer elbow, but then can push the hose up in the tube, without disconnecting and storing. Only downside we see, is small amount of gray water collecting in the loop that hands down on the back side of the tube.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Took the sawsall to mine and never looked back. I have a good setup with my mod. and I'm happy. You can see it in my link in my signature, it's in the photo's of my 09 Montana . I have two lengths of Rhino hose in the square tube along with the elbow and doughnut.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Gotta love when a manufacturer adds the cost of something many consider useless and new owners must spend some time or money getting it to work for them. I have an old unit with no boom and a LOT of sewer hose and supports so that it can go a long ways.

The worst campsite I was ever at, had about 60' between the water, electric and sewer hookups! The site was reserved way in advance and we were with other rig owners close by. It was the longest site in the campground but they had spanned the hookups along the site instead of having them in the middle like everywhere else. I was able to get the water and electric hooked up within 25' (I won't go longer than that for personal reasons), then dreaded that in a few days I'd have to hook up about 40' to get the sewer connected. But the next day the Class A left and the site remained empty for the rest of our stay, so I used the "other site's" sewer dump which was only about 15' away. Dumbest and only time I'd ever seen this, but it's on my pre-site checklist nowadays (Besides where they are and how far for connections, how far apart are all the hookups?) I can do 30' apart quite easily, anything longer than that and I can do it, but don't really want to.

A macerator system will eliminate this problem. Regardless, a sewer boom is not on my list. I like the sewer far apart from everything else (Water, electric, and coax are near the rear of the rig).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
I carry about 35 feet total of "dump" hose, probably 40 feet of water hose and only the "standard" electric 50 Amp power cord (25 feet?). I am going to use that new boom for the first time this weekend. I still don't believe I am going to like it in its current confiruration, but would not let something like that stop me from buying this new trailer. -Glenn
Old 04-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Don't discount the new sewer boom before you give it a try. I used to have sewer tubes slung under the rig to handle my sewer hose, fittings, and extra do-dads.

Now with the boom I am trying to adjust. Like RickR, I have a 10' Rhino hose, a clear connector on the end, and an end cap all of which fits nicely in the boom. I did change out the Rhino proprietary couplings in favor of the more standard bayonet type fittings. This allows me to use other hoses and fittings seamlessly (sometimes an airtight sewer connector to the drain won't work in older parks).
The only problem is residual liquid in the sewer lines which tends to migrate to the end of the hose as you travel. This leads to an unpleasant surprise the next time you hook to the sewer system if you aren't prepared. When I get home, I will do as KTManiac and add another valve at the end of the sewer pipe (at the point the hose connects) to eliminate the problem.

I have been on the road for several months now and stayed in a lot of places. The 10' hose setup has been adequate in every case. The boom does rotate 180 degrees on my rig. It is very quick to setup and easy to store. I do carry additional hose, fittings, etc. in a plastic box. If I need something unusual, it is quick and easy to find.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Bruce Jackson

M.O.C. #10955
I also took a sawsall to mine. I tried using the sewer boom for a year. Would only hold
10 feet of sewer hose. Been camping and traveling for about 25 years. Like to use the
clear 45 degree elbow. Just didn't like that sewer boom.

2011 3150RL Montana
2003 Dodge 3500 Daully 5.9 Cummins HO
Air Ride 5th Wheel Hitch

Bruce Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Okay, used sewer boom for the first time last Sunday when breaking camp. The dump was positioned well (about 5 feet away and forward from the end of the boom) so, not having the ability to swing beyond 90 degrees straight out was not an issue. I did notice, as some of you had said, there was a lot of residual grey water dripping from the end of the boom well after I had shut all the valves and locked the boom back in. No real easy way to get that residual out of the hose like with the "old" method of walking the hose down before you put it away. So, all that said, the jury is still out. We are going out again this weekend and I will give it another shot. -Glenn
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:
...there was a lot of residual grey water dripping from the end of the boom well after I had shut all the valves and locked the boom back in....
Glenn: that is why I have a cap on the end of the sewer hose - keeps the residual liquid (and all that further up the pipe) from dripping as I drive down the road. Once I get a gate valve installed where the hose connects, I am hoping the residual liquid problem becomes a non-issue.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Good point Carl, at least it was the last tank I emptied (shower/bathroom grey water). There are other tanks that could have made for much worse residual. I think I will go with the valve also. -Glenn
Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #19
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
The extra valve at the hose connection will solve the problem. I simply added a twist on with a clamp around it to secure it.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote