Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
What do you carry in the bed of your Truck

We are outfitting our RAM 3500 CCLB dually as our fulltiming kick off draws near and we're trying to figure what will fit in the bed. We plan on adding a Titan midship fuel tank so we don't need aux fuel tank back there and we have a B&W puck system hitch, but we want a Champion 3400 genny, folding ladder and tool box among other things. On top of it all will be a roll up tonneau like a Truxedo. It's like a puzzle to figure out what will fit. So I throw it out to our esteemed panel of experts... what do you carry in the bed of your truck? Pix would be awesome.

I'm considering the DeeZee 8537 tool box so the genny can fit beside it or the Dee Zee 8546 tool box and maybe put the genny between it and the hitch.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
This is what I carry. What you can’t see is 5 gal diesel, 10 gal unleaded. I have a folding cover, tired one of their roll up kind and it split in half. I usually have plenty of room left in the back.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDD27E12-3A22-4ADC-93BA-275B2F5DBBF3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	5080  
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I have a cross bed tool box from Lowes that fits under the cover. We also carry six 12"x12"x5" wood blocks with handles, two honda generators and a 5 gallon gas tank.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
We currently have a 4 panel folding cover but we find access to the front area to be an issue, and when folded back for towing, nothing under it at the front is accessible. It all seems like a pain when you need something which is why I like the roll up option for the tonneau. Thought about the Pace-Edward roll up but it takes up valuable real estate in the bed. I like your genny set up though. Don't know if we will have two gennies but one on the left like yours and the 37" DeeZee tool box on the right looks doable for us.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 11-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I have a longbed, the cover I went with was bakflip MX4. It just happened to work out that the inverter/generators fit under their and out of the weather when towing.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Old 11-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I have my spare trailer wheel/tire in back of the hitch. Once you have to go under the monte in wet dirty ground to retrieve the spare from that drop down holder, you will probably do the same as i. It sucks to have to drive after lying in the mud and filth left beside the highway.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
I have my spare trailer wheel/tire in back of the hitch. Once you have to go under the monte in wet dirty ground to retrieve the spare from that drop down holder, you will probably do the same as i. It sucks to have to drive after lying in the mud and filth left beside the highway.
A tarp takes little room and using it avoids laying in mud and whatever. On our 5 week trip this year I had a crossbed box from a compact truck, it sits on the floor, across the rear of the bed and it was packed. I also have a 50 gal in bed tank in the front. The long bed of the dually gives a decent amount of space

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #8
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I carry nothing extra in my truck. Sure it would be nice to have 50 gallons more fuel but it will hurt some fuel millage. I suppose if you can carry 10,000# in the bed of the truck guys will do it. If you have a DRW than you may have that much payload but seriously do you not need a brake every 300 miles. I am sure that it makes it easier to look for cheaper fuel with 90 gallons of fuel but not sure of the fuel savings. Even at 10 cents a gallon cheaper fuel it's $1 is all the savings on 10 gallons. So you save a whole $9 on 90 gallons. Now with all the fuel how did it hurt the millage. I don't have any idea because I don't carry extra fuel. I am not sure how much diesel weighs but at 7# a gallon x50 = 350# extra fuel May not sound like much but some guys on here cringe if you tow that much over the yellow sticker. It's just my thoughts so take what I say as conversation.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:52 AM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Every bed puzzle is different. We have a longbed. I do have a 46 ATTA reverse L shaped tank. It will allow for a Retrax cover later. No gennys. But we do have the stairs and frame for our Sunshine RV porch. I will also throw in the tank for hauling gray water to dumpstation depending on the trip. On thing you need to plan for is keeping clearances for your hitch release handle. I may be overreacting, but I have a rule--nothing touches the hitch
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Slowhand, sure I take breaks between fuel stops but I don't need to be hunting for a station at the same time. Dime a gal.? Heck there have been times it was as much as $.40 as I'm able to drive through the high fuel price areas. I use gas buddy and plan my fuel stops well in advance to take advantage of lower prices. I've had this tank since 03 so in the 16 yrs I've had it it has more than paid for itself money wise and convenience wise. If I didn't tow anywhere from 4-8K per year maybe it would be different. Also much of my towing is through the Dakotas, Wyoming and Montana where stations are not every couple of miles

Just took a look at Gas Buddy for stations in my area. The closest to me is $3.07 and 11 mi. away it's $2.80 my math says that's a difference of $.27 almost 3X your dime estimate. Eighty gals at that lower price is $21.60 less

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet28 View Post
Slowhand, sure I take breaks between fuel stops but I don't need to be hunting for a station at the same time. Dime a gal.? Heck there have been times it was as much as $.40 as I'm able to drive through the high fuel price areas. I use gas buddy and plan my fuel stops well in advance to take advantage of lower prices. I've had this tank since 03 so in the 16 yrs I've had it it has more than paid for itself money wise and convenience wise. If I didn't tow anywhere from 4-8K per year maybe it would be different. Also much of my towing is through the Dakotas, Wyoming and Montana where stations are not every couple of miles

Just took a look at Gas Buddy for stations in my area. The closest to me is $3.07 and 11 mi. away it's $2.80 my math says that's a difference of $.27 almost 3X your dime estimate. Eighty gals at that lower price is $21.60 less
Agree with Hornet. Interstate truck stops are usually 30 cents per gallon higher as well as most stations along the interstate. Plus the hassle of paying at truck stops. If not on interstate, it is the hassle of being able to find a station with diesel that is easy to get in/out. We do take breaks every two-three hours, but it will be at rest areas if on interstate. I'm sure I'm saving some money using the aux tank, but that is not why I added it. Mainly convenience. With a long-bed dually I had the space plus the payload capacity.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #12
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
must be special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet28 View Post

48 gal. under truck 45 gal in bed best savings so far was $36.00 from bone empty, average savings is .25 cents wife handles this with gas buddy and we leave with enough to get to the best savings fuel station along our route. Ive tried to do a gas mileage check full or not and can never get an accurate reading. Iv`e found that a head wind of any kind will kill your mileage more than 45 diminishing gallons in the bed, or a heavy foot on the accelerator kills it to. One time at a truck stop before the bed tank was installed I had to leave the card with the not so normal looking gas attendant inside at the desk while filling and the next day had several unauthorized charges on the card from the same town we stopped at. That was it for me, new tank went in soon after returning. Now we fill up at pump pay service stations only. Yes it does relieve 1 point of stress on any trip to fill at my leisure.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #13
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I have used gas buddy but it has taken me to places that aren't easy on or off the freeway. Also It took me to a place and lucky I was able to turn off because there was a overpass I would not clear. Come to California and you would be GLAD to get fuel for $3xx a gallon. Try $399.9 and it goes up from there. Chevron has some for $4.39.

I was only using 10 cents as a example It all depends on what part of the country you are in and how far you are willing to go. I always start with a full tank using gas buddy after that hooked up I just get it when I need it. I only have 26 gallons and it seems to last 300 miles. I start looking when I get 100 miles till empty. I don't use truck stops at all.

Like I said just for conversation.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #14
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Apologies to OP, didn't mean to hijack thread to a fuel tank discussion. I also carry a tub that stores my lego blocks and jack pads (I use quit a few to decrease the length that my jacks have to extend), a tub that holds my sewer hose and extension, and propane tank for grill. After that it depends on where we are going. Recent trip to Michigan just included these items. Just got back from Destin/Gulf Shores so also carried my propane burner for a shrimp boil and a fire pit.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #15
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
F350 LB dually. In the bed is the B&W hitch, Ladder, and AUX tank. Nothing else, the Montana 3761 has more outside storage than any 5er I've seen ~~ front to back!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:54 AM   #16
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
What are the 2 hoses for and what are they connected to?
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #17
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
What are the 2 hoses for and what are they connected to?
Are you talking about my picture?

If so, they are about 6 feet long and are attached to the exhaust of each generator/inverter to divert the exhaust over the bed of the truck and away from the coach. I had an issue when the inverters were running I could smell the exhaust inside the bathroom area. once I did that no issues since and works great.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #18
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Apologies to OP, didn't mean to hijack thread to a fuel tank discussion. I also carry a tub that stores my lego blocks and jack pads (I use quit a few to decrease the length that my jacks have to extend), a tub that holds my sewer hose and extension, and propane tank for grill. After that it depends on where we are going. Recent trip to Michigan just included these items. Just got back from Destin/Gulf Shores so also carried my propane burner for a shrimp boil and a fire pit.
Not an issue. As I originally stated, we're going to swap out the 32 gal OEM tank for the 55gal Titan midship tank so bed space is preserved for storing gear. I get things can wander in a conversation.

With only 66 gal of FW, we thought of carrying 2x7 gal aux water tanks in the bed. Most of the tools we will have will also be carried in the bed tool box. Just installed the B&W hitch so now I can see just how much space we will have. Thinking a genny on the driver side, tool box across the back to fill up the front bulkhead space (approx 40" long). there is room to park a second genny between the tool box and the hitch. Jeffba, thanks for the tip on the hitch clearance... had not considered that. at the back of the bed will go the ladder and the spare fresh water cans, leveling blocks and chocks & any other misc gear.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #19
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Last2Die - what kind of hose did you use?

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #20
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
Last2Die - what kind of hose did you use?
I used flexible exhaust hose. I’ll put in a link. Along with the hose I used 1 inch exhaust clamps.

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-40000-...lexible&sr=8-1

Tony