Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2008, 04:52 AM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Drivers

We had a discussion concerning CC. Quickly spun out of control after the factor of common sense come into the pcture. It was not meant to be an insult to anyone in particular. One post mentioned driving at a conservative 60 MPH. Others said that they are comfortable at higher speeds. Bad contitions need to be treated as such at any speed. Day and night and the drivers vision. Myself as a example, certainly not trying to be special. I grew up around trucks and was driving a big rig long before I had a license. In the Military I have driven large awkward vehicles on the streets of Germany amongst civilian cars. I have driven on the Autobahn in Germany at speeds over 130 MPH very regularly. I have not added up my miles but I am sure it is way over a Million miles with a wide variety of experiance just as many of us have. I have a clean driving record with no moving violations on record and only a hand full in all my driving. And no accidents ever. Point is I am driving within my ability and must be a relative safe driver. As anyone I have had close calls and used the experiance to be a better driver. Then there are a lot of you that this RV you have now is the biggest thing you have ever driven. Do I push the speed limit at times, yes I have. Also there have been times I was the slow poke in the right lane blocking things up. The point is not of belitteling anyone but the absolute fact is, agree or not. Not all drivers are equal in ability. Experiance is a huge factor, there is no law anywhere in the Universe that can replace common sense and most of all being a responsible driver, and drive within our ability, in relation to conditions whatever that might be. One more point to make, RV'ers as a group are not unsafe drivers. Common sense tells me this by the rareity of seeing an RV involved in a accident VS: cars and big rigs. So relax and happy RV'ing share the road with everyone and enjoy the trip.

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
There is no reason that you should apologize or feel the need to explain yourself. You asked a simple question that a bunch of us responded to, some to the point, and others off the mark. This kind of thing has and will happen frequently on any forum. Glean what you want or need from the responses and drive on. Happy camping!! Bob
PS - My RV is the biggest thing I have ever pulled.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Just seemed feelings were bent and that was not the intention.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I don't think you were out of line. If others, do that's there problem. I, like you, have had a lot of experience driving large rigs. I was raised on a farm and drove tractors with trailers before I got a drivers license. Drove large ARFF Crash trucks and runway foamers in the military. Drove large fire apparatus in the Fire Service. So driving the truck and Montana now is nothing special. However, I do have a great respect for the fact that I am driving a large rig and understand that I have a responsibility to my family and others on the road to drive safely. I can say that for some, that I know you all have seen on the roads out there with us, drive like they have a little sports car towing 55' combination of truck and trailer.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
This forum has a lot of information and some of it is interspersed with safety. The post on CC was just that, a request for information, and as I interpreted, how to safely use CC. Any comments I posted were not intended to single any person out, but general observations. Thanks for your posts.

Is there a thread on "Safety?"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
trukdoc,
You're okay, no need to apologize for anything. Some people have a hard time with things if they don't agree with them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
trukdoc, Great question on the the C/C, there will always be many different answers on the C/C question. We do use C/C ofter but not all the time. I never use C/C or tow haul mode on wet roadways nor a exhaust. I also run 60 mph, reason most trailer tires are rated at 65 mph. My Truck does better on fuel and that more comfortable and much safer in my opinion. I have carried a commerical lic. since I was 21 years and I now carry a CDL Class A. I have in excess of 750,000 accident free miles in a in Class 8 Trucks (18 wheelers) and haven't a clue of have many miles pulling 5th wheels. No trukdoc you weren't out of line again a great question. I wish I had know your in Sulphur Springs Texas would have stopped and said hi, out Son lives in Malakoff Texas and we were there for two weeks this Sept. GBY.....

P.S Thanks for your service to our Country.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
There is no need to apologize for asking an intelligent question....nor should you take exception to others posting THEIR OPINION...thats their right and whether its right or wrong they can do it....you have yours and for the most part it appears yours is widely accepted....at least those that did not completely agree with you were civil....not like some other forums where members eat each other..... I once posted a reply to a really dumb post about a first time rv'er purchasing a 38 ft trailer and a f350 for a cross country trip.....it go so bad I had to cover my house in aluminum foil to defeat the homing devices of the scud missles coming up...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

We had a discussion concerning CC. Quickly spun out of control after the factor of common sense come into the picture.
Trukdoc, your comment about common sense was not what led the topic to spiral, although it certainly didn't help.

You say in your post - "As anyone I have had close calls and used the experience to be a better driver".
In my attempt to respond to the topic with my own learning experience, I revealed an incident I had about six years ago that pretty much changed the way I drive in the rain. I only gave the details I thought were necessary to make my point. Unfortunately, because of my confession, all heads turned to me and of course those that must be more perfect than I found opportunity to fill in the blanks and start evaluating root cause of my incident rather than just acknowledge it contributed to the topic. The typical responses that always tend to heat things up are those that talk right through you or try have the last word with those pesky little "IF, ANDS, or BUTS" adders (like my favorite.... "PERIOD"). It goes from there but I guess that's just part of the MOC. I only hope the the outcome to the thread can include that in addition to all the other factors, loosing traction with CC activated can cause the engine to accelerate without warning, regardless of how you lost traction to begin with.

If I may add to your topic - I have found through life that those who must brag about their experience have already stopped paying attention to what they are doing. The most attentive RVer on the road is the one that bought it yesterday.

Nothing personal
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Question. How does CC accelerate on a wet road if you lose control? I have heard this all my life. I can see it trying to maintain the same speed, but I just can't see it accelerating. I can also see it making it difficult to regain control if it remains on CC. I'm not being tacky, and maybe my logic is not right. Anyone care to explain?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't think it actually accelerates. But our minds are expecting a slow down and when it doesn't come, it feels like acceleration.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Will,
I'm not exactly positive on the new technology, but my thoughts are that the RPM's are in sync with the traction on the wheels, combined with transmission and other drive train parts. When CC is on and the wheels hit a slick (water) spot they will speed up. Back when you and I were youngsters, we could go up a hill in 2nd gear, and come down in second gear. With today's technology, high speed transmissions, etc, we can climb that same hill in 4th gear, but it doesn't mean we can come down it in 4th gear towing 10,000 pounds. The same holds for CC. When it hits a slick spot the RPM's will jump up considerably. When in a an F150 one day I hit s slick, without CC on, and wondered what was happening when I saw the tack jump up to 8000, way above the red line, then immediately come back down when traction was obtained. The acceleration is the acceleration of the engine, transmission, tires and the lose of control is from skidding around and not having control. The old clutch days of getting control back was to put the clutch in and let the drive wheels free wheel while the weight of the vehicle slowed it down regaining control.

Just my thoughts.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Unless you are traviling down hill, it not only will accelarate, your pedal goes to the floor -

Wayne - you are very close. If you can imagine driving along with your foot on the gas holding a speed with your foot, then push in the clutch or put the transmission in neutral, the engine will race or increase in RPM until you let off the gas with your foot. Thats exactly what happens when you loose traction with the cruise control set. At a set speed, even though your tachometer is set at a steady rpm, your engine is producing a good percentage of torque to propel your vehicle against the resistance. Take away the traction and the resistance is suddenly gone, yet the torque is still there until the cruise control senses what happened. The cruise has a slight buffer that prevents it from acting erratic, however the buffer is too slow to react to adequately control a free-wheeling axle.

I have fist hand experience in the rain - hahahahaha. For those that spent any time with a wrench in their hand - if you ever tried to spin balance the drive wheels in place using a car up on the hoist powered by cruise control - you know it just plain don't work. The engine goes from idle to floored to idle to floored to idle to floored continuously until you find somebody brave enough to get back in there and shut it off.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:[i]Originally posted by bsmeaton The most attentive RVer on the road is the one that bought it yesterday.
Agree...he/she might not be the best...but he/she is sure paying attention.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:06 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
quote:[i]Originally posted by bsmeaton The most attentive RVer on the road is the one that bought it yesterday.
Agree...he/she might not be the best...but he/she is sure paying attention.
Unless you are just starting out with a motorhome upgrade from a 5th wheel. There are things that are much different when parking and turning.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote