Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Cost of full timing

We are not sure about real full timing we are NOt going to sell our home till we find out if we like it..Seems to us that full timing can be very expensive what with the cost of fuel/campgrounds, etc.

We know that the average cost of a good to fair camnpground around here is 25.00 to 35.00 per night full hooks. That alone could be 750/1000 a month .We just made reservations at Cape Hatteras campground for July at 59.00 per day.. I am guessing that the per day cost of Full timing to be @ 50.00 per day...Fuel/campgrounds food/etc..Is that close?????

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rich,

The real cost of full timing is gonna depend on what you do, where you go, what your lifestyle develops into and how long you stay in a campground.

The last 2 winters Al and I were lucky enough to get out of Michigan during the cold stuff and head out to the Rio Grande Valley, Texas. Last year, February (high month), $550.0 a month, plus electric, this was in a resort style park. March there was $500.00. Same prices this year in a sister park, also very resort like, 2 swimming pools, workout room, hot tub, therapy tub, wood working building/shop which was brand new, library, computers, restaurant, exercise room, heavens, the list just goes ON and ON!

Next winter we hope to go to another park, not quite so many "goodies", but wifi is free, swimming pool, laundry facilites in the campground, activity building, near a state park with TONS of birding to be done, and we are staying for 3 months for about $1,100.00, plus our electric.

There are places you can stay for $225.00 a month, and that is still full hookups! Many of the places we stayed coming and going to Texas were $15.00 and $18.00 a night for full hookups, and some of those included free cable tv.

If you sign up for more than a couple of days, you can try for weekly, monthly and even longer rates. The longer you stay, in many cases the cheaper it gets.

We don't count food into our expenses, cause ya gotta eat no matter where you are living. Some fulltimers eat out a LOT, others don't. We tend to eat out when we are moving around with Montana in tow and when we are out sightseeing. When we stay in the Rio Grande for 2 or 3 months, we go out and have meals, we do some activities, we go to Mexico, but we also spend a lot of days right in the campground, doing laundry, cleaning Montana, working or researching for me, we are living in Montana, not vacationing.

Steve R will be along soon, I am sure, to share his input on this. He has been out there full timing for a LONG time, over 2 years now, right Steve???

NO, we are not full timers, but feel that we do have some insight into that lifestyle with our long times away from home in Montana. over 13 weeks one time. And, that is NOTHING compared to some of our other MOC members.

Bottom line, you can find very nice places to stay that do NOT cost $1,000 a month!.

Cheers, Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, an awful lot depends on just what you do with your discretionary money, like for sightseeing, dinners out, etc. We find that our total monthly cost is nearly identical to when we were retired and living in a stick home with a house payment. We downsized from three vehicles to one, sold the house, etc. Since fuel costs have gone up, we've taken to usually spending more time in one place, letting the CG discounts offset fuel costs. Plus, not towing uses less fuel, also. And we find we like having time to really explore an area.

You'll probably find that staying at expensive places like Cape Hatteras is something you do when you are vacationing, because you save up to do that trip. As fulltimers, it's your fulltime lifestyle and you look at it differently. We'd probably stay ten to twenty miles further out and get a nice rv park at a much cheaper rate. We then could trip to Hatteras on our schedule, like during the week when things are a bit quieter and maybe just off-season. Etc. Occasionally we'll splurge and do something like that CG at Hatteras.

Your idea of hanging onto the house until you are sure you like the lifestyle is a good one. We took a five-week trial run before our house was sold, just to make sure we would like the change and could co-exist in a much smaller space without killing each other. My aunt and uncle fulltimed for six years before health required they stay put. They kept their stick home for the first six months, then sold it. Similar to what you are thinking.

Probably the hardest thing for us to adjust to was to slow down. To realize we are not on vacation. We don't have to see and do everything in two weeks. We have time to enjoy the trip getting there and to take our time enjoying it when we arrive. We have cleaning days (Vicki calls them 'reality days'), shopping days, and days we just are retired and don't do any sightseeing. Same as you would in a stick home. The first year or so was go-go-go, doing Big Bend National Park in a week, for example. Someday we'll go back there and take a month doing that park.

Rich, these are just some answers to your questions based on our experiences. It does not mean this will work for you. Nor does it mean this is the only way. I'm sure others will jump in and supply their insights as well. Good luck with it. It's a major change but, if done in a manner that works for you, it can be a very rewarding and pleasant way to spend a few years of your lives.

As for campground costs, we've never paid that much for a month. One thing that really helps is to stay for a week or a month in one place. Nearly every private (and a few public) parks will give you a significant discount for lengthy stays. For example, I know of a park in Kansas with a daily rate of $20. The weekly rate is $120 (stay six nights and get the seventh night free). Many parks do that. A monthly stay in the same park is $220 plus electricity (metered in that park). Electricity in that area (we used to live in the area) should run anywhere from $25 to $75 for the month in a Montana, including running the AC, washer/dryer, etc. If you stay longer than one month you may or may not get additional discounts, depending on the park.

Look into Good Sam, Escapees, and Passport America memberships. PA (Passport America) costs about $40/year to be a member and you get 50% off the daily rate at participating parks. These are not PA only parks but regular parks. As with any of these, some are pits, some are beautiful, most are inbetween. For a night or two it works for us. In California we were given the PA rate for our entire two-week stay (in the Greeley Hill area, near Yosemite). Most have some restrictions but we usually recoup our $40 (in savings) in the first month. This year it took us until March because we stayed two months of that time in one park, a non-PA park.

Good Sam and Escapees offer 15% off daily rates. You get some other benefits from them, though.
I budget for $22/night average and we very rarely exceed that.

edited after seeing Carol's post - Carol, we must have been composing at the same time. Yes, 25 months this Thursday and still going strong and loving it. As you know, we'll be at the same park as you in Mission, TX, but for just two months. I'd have to go dig out the paperwork but I believe we're paying $414/month plus elec. We also have reservations for this summer at a nice park about 20 miles from the west gate to Yellowstone. There we're paying $350/month for full hookups, including elec.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

I think that rate is correct, I forgot to add in my deposit, $100.00, so, up that price a bit. Sorry for the oversight! Still almost 3 months for the price of two at the resort places I was talking of, and ohhh, those resort places prices are rumored to be going up this year as well. I have not checked any web sites to verify same. So, that is rumor for now!

congrats on the 25 months!!!!!!

Al is doing a lot more talking of fulltiming. Won't happen while his mom is still with us, but???? ya just never know! In the meantime, long trips out really do suit us well. We have no trouble living in the reduced spaces. Now, if I could figure out how to take all my genealogy files, ohhh,laaaa, HA HA

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We can't add too much to the words of Al and Carol or Steve and Vicki, only a couple of additional observations.

We have been full time since July of 03. Our first 6 months were spent scurrying around as though we were on a time compressed vacation. That is expensive....day by day RV camping fees are very high. Saw lots of cousins, old friends and visited lots of places we had not transited before, but at a fairly high cost.

Some lessons learned in 03 helped a bit in 04. We actually scheduled a few stays of a week or longer! From mid-Jan 04 through early Nov o4, we stayed at 53 different places. Again, not most cost effective way to do it, but an improvement for us.

We had a 2+ month stay in Bakersfield over the Holidays due to some family medical circumstances, but headed out again in late Jan. Doing better this year re the longer stays.

If you have a CG "membership", there are three affiliation memberships which you may be eligible for due to your CG membership. They may be be attractive to you. They are Coast to Coast, Resorts of Distinction, and AOR (America Outdoor Recreation? - don't remember the actual name). They offer greatly reduced costs at their participating parks. Usually good quality places. We think their use will more than pay for the membership costs this year.

We are retired military and often use the military FAMCAMPS, especially when on the road for a few days from one area to another. Good quality and low cost. Also, we have really enjoyed a couple of Corps of Engineers CGs. Open to the public, and scattered all over the US. Low cost.

We have lowered our average costs per night to the low/mid $20s. We never stay only one night anywhere, at least two or maybe three nights. Anytime you can spend a week, do it. Anytime you find a nice CG and have a month to spare, do it....lots less expensive.

We try never to do more than 250 miles per day when traveling. We have done a couple of 300 milers, but mainly on Interstates. Take your time, smell the roses....

Best Regards,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:07 AM   #6
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Agree with all above. Our RV park runs about $25 a night, but our monthly is only $375 plus electric (which seems to be about $50 a month with the A/C blowing constantly). The rate is about half that paid by daily campers.

We have found that there has been an almost exact trade-off between our new fulltiming life and the cost of the stickhouse. Once we totalled up the RV payment, lot payment, utilities, gas, insurance, mailbox, etc. and compared that number to our old mortgage, utilities, insurance, fees, etc., the two monthly totals were within $100 of each other. That being said, we DID NOT go from working and owning a stick house to retired and travelling in the RV. We have the same jobs, but our commute has been reduced by 2/3. This is saving us a fortune on gas!

Carol makes a good point, many of the newer parks (and upgraded older parks) are offering nice amenities at little or no charge. We are saving $90 a month over the stick house life as our DSL and cable are free at the park. As noted above, we're paying about $50 a month in electric vs. the $200 (avg) we were paying in the stick house. Combined with no charge for water and sewer ($25/ month at the stick house), we're saving $250 to $275 per month on utilities and services, alone!

In our case, we consider the truck payment AND the RV payment as part of our new "house payment". To date, Cheryl has been very pleased with the finances of the new lifestyle. We took about a year to plan all of this out, and it's paid off! Interestingly, we found that we had to focus more on the logistics of fulltiming than the costs. Switching over to all new providers (i.e., insurance on (2) autos, an RV and (2) scooters), mail handling, stick house sales, truck and RV ordering, selling ALL of our stuff, and stopping/changing all services to the old house took up a lot of time (and frustration)(can't tell you how many insurance and utility reps we've had to call multiple times to get refunds, correct billing addresses, status changes, etc.). We were REALLY glad to get started on all of this early! We found that we had to go to contingency plans for several things (our initial provider couldn't offer fulltime RV insurance in our state, we couldn't order our truck when we were ready as the model year was changing-- new tooling, our new RV park wasn't quite ready to open yet, and on and on).

I can honestly say that it was all worth it in spades! We couldn't be happier with the new lifestyle!!!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:51 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Great replies guys..the info helps a lot. We live in Northern Ohio and will be following the Sun Oct/Nov to March/April. Fla/Texas/Arz we will try all three. We are accustomed to a certain life style and will not downgrade much as I am sure none of you have.Because of long range planning and a lot of good luck we will not have truck or Rv payments.They will both be new and paid for truck already in 05, Rv in 06 same with any Home mortgage and if we sell the house all the $ will be ours. As with most of you we will be retired (I already am) and our income will be pensions ( both federal Gov) and investments such as they may be now. We have been guesstimating monthly/yearly expenses just so we can estimate what portion of our income will go for "camping" as Wife calls it and that we can maintain our "quality of life" Interesting.Pete on the "logistics" of fulltiming/We have been working on that for a couple of years..Making sure we can pay all our Bills on line, Insurance company that is nation wide..Switch to cell phone. geting nation wide gas credit cards.
We will get the satellite DSL, we already have Direct tv. Your collective information confirms a lot of what we thought might be correct. Again we will not sell our"stick house" never heard that term before,..Our Stick house is mostly brick.
Untill we are sure of what our fulltiming status will be. The longest we have been on the road is about 30 days or so..This year we will be gone the Month of July. Helen is all for fulltiming it is me that insist that we keep the house for a couple of year to see if we like it.There was a time (a few years) that my job required travel. I think I had enough airline miles to fly around the world several times.Been about everywhere..seen about everything.Helen will say..Oh lets go here..and I say..Oh..that's nice I've been there.She hates that.. I had travel burn out and said that If I never left Ohio again it would be ok with me. Helen in her Wisdom..says this will be different... She is right of course but I am still gun shy..
Old 04-21-2005, 07:33 AM   #8
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Glad to see the long-term planning is paying off! I forgot all about the on-line bill pay....Cheryl absolutely LOVES it! She agrees with ya, Rich, that is the only way to go when full-timing.

You make an interesting point about "downgrading". You are exactly right, we didn't downgrade our lifestyle (in fact our rig is much newer and more modern than the old house, cir 1981), we simply downsized it (selling off all of the old stuff allowed us to buy smaller quantities of better quality merchandise). That has been very difficult for our friends and family to understand. Many are stuck with the belief that the quantity of tangibles is the leading indicator of status or wealth. We've learned a huge life lesson in the last year...having two of everything just ain't that important.

See ya on the road!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh ya..the amount of stuff you have determines your social status..We have friends that do not understand why we would want to give up what we have to "go camping" I have another question about full timing..it came up over in the "general"forum..it is about license fees/ inspections, etc...If you are full timing what is your"place of residence"
What plates do you have on your truck/camper. Who's state or City Taxes do you pay..when you have to fill in place of residence on a form...what do you say??????ete I note that you are from Tx..do you keep Tx plates on your camper/truck..if so how do you do that if you have no"stick house address"?????

o
Old 04-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
As we plan for our five month excursion to Alaska, starting in June, we are talking more and more of fulltiming. The things that we are setting up for our long trip will be in effect so it will help the transition, things such as a P. O. Box, bank drafts, computer accounts, etc. If we go fulltime we will have to decide if we want to be residents of Texas or South Dakota. The mail forwarding companies in those states give you an actual address as well as handling your mail. There is a good discussion of this subject and what they offer on the Open Roads Forum, in their fulltiming threads. You might take a look at it. Several of our forum members also contribute on that forum. Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We found a terrific "Mailboxes Etc." kinda place right near our park (not that franchise, but one quite similar). We get a street address (example: 123 Elm Street, Suite 123, #55) as opposed to a box number that everyone loves to hate. The place is GREAT! They provide a mailbox, all-carrier shipping and receiving, mail forwarding service (we supply the envelope and stamps), and even have a DSL line at the store. All of this for $10 a month with a year's lease. Many entities have a hard time with the "Suite 123, #55", so for those folks (drivers liscence comes to mind) we made it 123 Elm Street #123. This makes it look like an apartment, and the folks at the mail place have a little extra work (but they get it right every time based on our last name).

As much as I hate Houston summers, Texas is a great place to reside. All of our tags, liscences and registrations are based on our mailbox address (luckily, outside of Harris County) and there are no state income taxes here for those of us whose 401k's said, "No way, not this year." All municipal taxes are rolled into purchases or campground fees, so those are relatively invisible. We are also lucky that the campground provides free cable (at each site) and DSL (in the library), and we pay the park operator for electric, not the electric company. Now we have no utility companies (and their taxes and fees) to deal with. All in all, we got real lucky in finding our first "home" in fulltiming.

And for your friends that don't understand giving it all up, they haven't figured out that YOU GET TO GO CAMPING EVERY NIGHT!! If they don't get that, there's not much you can do to help them! We sat around our campfire last night, made two new friends from Kansas, and listened to the frogs for three hours before bed. Yeah, sure, I want the old lifestyle (three neighbors' radios, a dozen kids racing their Camaros down the street, and neighbors that I don't know)like I want a sharp stick in the eye.......
Old 04-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Were do we find this open roads Forum..I am doing a print out on all these replies.I did not know about these"mailbox places..will check them out.About those friends that do not understand.Wife had the perfect reply to oneof our friendswho said..You have worked so hard to get everything you have..how can you give it up to go live in a camper and travel around the country like a vagabond,,Wifes reply was..To go on a never ending camping trip and travel the country like vagabonds is exactly why worked so hard all or lives.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, you might consider a Visa or MasterCard for fuel purchases, one of those that give you a percentage rebate for fuel purchases. We use an AT&T MasterCard for fuel purchases. If we happen to use a hotel, like when we had a family emergency and flew to San Diego, we'll use it for that, as well, since it also rebates on hotel/motel stays and some other things. We pay this card off every month. I check every three or four months to see how much rebate I have coming (they also occasionally email me this info) and I'll tell them to send me a check. The max they will rebate in any 12 month period is $300. Our "year" is up the end of this month and I think we'll nudge that max. There are other cards that do the same thing.

We carry another card, a Visa, that's used for online purchases only. We don't want our debit card number on the internet. We also pay this one off monthly. Then we have our bank card, a debit card that can also act as a Visa card.

We rarely use cash. Maybe for very small purchases. When we are low on cash, we get more cash at our next Walmart purchase. If we use our bank card as a debit card we can get $100 (or less) cash back in your change. If we need more than that, we split our items and Vicki goes to one register and I go to another and we both get cash back.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just reread some of these posts and realized I missed quite a bit first time through.

Rich, there are several possible legal domiciles that can meet your needs. Texas, Florida, South Dakota seem to be the most popular. We chose South Dakota.

Some of these may be the same as the other states but I'll tell you what I'm familiar with. South Dakota has no state income tax. It has no property tax on vehicles. It does have a registration fee on vehicles. If you trade vehicles (your truck or your Montana) you pay a 3% excise tax on the trade difference.

We went to Sioux Falls, SD, to become residents. We needed to have our picture taken for the drivers license. We arrived one evening and spent that night in a motel (Feb in Sioux Falls, didn't want to drag the Montana up there for one night in that cold weather). Next morning we went to Alternative Resources where we signed up for our mail service and got our legal address. We then went across the street and got our truck, Montana, and fulltimer's insurance. Our prior company does not sell in South Dakota so we had to change companies. We then went to the courthouse and registered our vehicles and got the tags. We ventured down the hall and got our drivers licenses. We were on the road heading south back to Kansas before noon. Piece of cake. Extremely nice and helpful people everywhere we went.

Texas and Florida are probably just as easy but South Dakota does not have an intangibles tax and there are no vehicle inspections of any kind like in Texas. South Dakota has the third lowest insurance rates in the country. There should be more info at www.alternativeresources.net . Been awhile since I looked.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:15 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
sreigle..we do pretty much the same on the credit cards..We use the American Express Blue and have a debit card that is also a Visa.We hardly ever use gas company cards for fuel but like to have them..just in case. Money is going out of style..50.00 cash $ will sometimes last for weeks.When we were in Calif last month we picked up a Chevron and Arco credit card.do not have these brands here. Good info on South Dakota.I think we can get away with using the Ohio address of one of our kids as our home address for truck/car/camper plates.Of course we will have our house for awhile??? All of our bills can be paid on line and there are no paper bills to be mailed.We are shifting all of our correspondance to E mail we already communacate with just about all of our family and friend via E mail..We are trying to get our paper mail to a minimum or not at all. Will check out the insurance...Full coverage for our present camper, 04 Accord, 05 Civic/05 F-350
and a Honda 750 MC is 1600.00 per year..We will not have one of the Honda cars and the bike when we hit the road Will also dump the dirt bike that I am now to old to ride(bones break a lot eaiser now than they did 30 years ago) You are all a great help.We are printing every word you E mail...
Old 04-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thanks Steve for the link. I just bookmarked it. We are thinking about retiring a year earlier than planned. Just ran my SS and it is only $70 difference for the one year. I just can't work during that year at all.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Rich, if you put Open Roads Forum or RV Net forum in your search engine in Google you'll come up with a link to the forum. It has several names, I think....Trailer Life forum, etc.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As has already been stated, it's what you do with what you have. We started full-timing in November 2000. The first year out, our parking expense averaged $8.00/day. Last year, 2004, it averaged $5.47/day. So far this year we have spent $3.00 per day. These costs include maintenance fees in Thousand Trails and Catalina Spa RV Resort in Desert Hot Springs, CA, our Passport America membership, Coast-to-Coast membership, RPI and Elks Club membership. So I don't think we are doing too badly.
Our initial outlay for Thousand Trails and Catalina Spa RV Resort memberships put us a little behind, but we have already recouped that expense.
Try it for a year, see what you can do with what you have. I think you'll find that the lifestyle is such that you won't want to go back to your house. We don't.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote