Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
maxmorrow
Established Member

M.O.C. #10747
Water heater and convertor problem

I just bought a 2006 329RLS Mountaineer and I cannot find where to turn off the electric water heater.The water heater comes on when I plug it up and we have this setup at the lake and don't want to heat the water all week when we are not there. The switch at the monitor is off but I thought that was for the gas side of the water heater. Also I cannot get the batteries to charge without using a seperate batter charger. I need someone to walk me through the testing process to find out where the problem lies. Thanks John

maxmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If you take the cover off the water heater there is a switch in the left lower corner. Some have wired it up by the monitor panel.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I have the same Year, and Model. I leave the Exterior Switch in the Water Heater Housing in the "On" position, and use the Circuit Breaker in the Power Center to Power it On or Off.

As for your Charging Problem, check the Output on your Converter (If the Battery is in need of charging the Converter needs to be Outputting 13.6 - 13.8 Volts to properly bring your Battery up to a Full Charge), its located behind the Power Center, it could be a Blown fuse in the Converter, when I opened my Power Center up, I discovered Keystone had "Piggy Backed" the Converter power on to another Breaker, so if any of your Breakers are in the "Off", or "Tripped" position you may not be powering the converter (I installed a Dedicated Breaker for the Converter in mine, as there are empty Breaker spots).

Good Luck,
JP

jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I wouldn't use the circuit breaker as a switch. That's a sure way to get it to fail early.

If you aren't hooked up to shore power, and you have 12 V lights working, then the converter is working. Among other things, check the battery connections to make sure they're tight, and check the water level in the batteries. If you have a battery hydrometer, use it to check each cell, too.

Check the converter to see what make and model it is, and if it has the ability to do a three stage charge. The Iota converter of that vintage has an small external plugin that gives it the three stage capability. If it doesn't have it, and they are the original batteries, there's a good chance that the batteries are bad. If the converter is an Iota, you can get the plugin for about $30, and it's well worth it. The two stage charger has a tendency to overcharge the batteries, boiling off the water and shortening their lives.

I second JP's suggestion to check the wiring to the converter, and, while you're at it, make sure all the wiring connections at the power center are tight, especially the grounds.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
maxmorrow
Established Member

M.O.C. #10747
UPDATE! ! I found that the switch on the water heater is the only way to turn off the 110v side of the heater. I will be installing a 20 amp wall light switch beside the monitor so that it will be easier to turn off and on.
I found as suggested that both 40 amp fuses were blown but did not fix the problem. I searched more and found that one wire to the fuse panel had pulled out. Hooked it up and have 13.6 volts now. Thanks for all the help. John
maxmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote