Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #21
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootsk View Post
I now know where it is. At the junction where the hot water supply attaches to the faucet. If I could tighten the clamp it might stop but I asked a plumber friend and didn’t recommend that. He suggested a shark bite.
Are you sure it's leaking out of the pex clamp and not the threaded attachment to the faucet? If so then a shark bite is a good option. I've used them at home and in the RV and they work great.

Quote:
Sorry your signature is not showing on my phone for some reason
No worries, ours is a 2018 HC 305RL, but as I said, I don't think it matters. The plumbing should be the same for all of them.

jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #22
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Pex clamps can't be tightened. It is a replace situation. For the type of pex clamps used, similar to the good oedecker clamps, you can use the tool used to cut the clamp off (sold at lowes, etc) take the joint apart (not done easily), and install a new clamp using a tool also sold by the same stores. I only use metal fittings and copper bands when I replace things as I have the big honking compression tool. Of course, if space is tight, compression may not be possible.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #23
Scootsk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg n Tracy View Post
Ours was leaking from the threaded part of the connection. We just needed to tighten it a bit. It wasn’t quite finger tight. I did disassemble both sides, added thread tape, and gave it a 1/4 turn past finger tight. Directly after, we checked the connections in the bathroom. The sink is good, but not sure on how to check the shower. I guess some searching on this wonderful forum is in order.

I hope your issue can be as simple as mine! Good luck!
My issue was as simple as yours. Removed the fittings did a couple of wraps of Teflon tape and tightened up. I definitely think the Teflon tape helped get a little more torque to the fittings. All good now. Thank you.
Scootsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #24
Gypearce
Established Member

M.O.C. #25095
Quote:
We have a water leak under our kitchen island sink and we have no idea where it’s coming from. There is periodically a puddle by the island and we have put towels around the pipes and within an hour they are soaked. Obviously water travels down but for the life of us we cannot see what’s leaking. Ugh. Anybody else have this issue?

2019 3791
Thanks for this, we have been having this same problem for the last few days. The curious thing is we don't see the water on the floor until about a half hour after we finish washing dishes! After reading your thread I went and looked at the hot water hose and sure enough there was a bead of water running down it. Thanks again for showing me where to look!
Gypearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:22 AM   #25
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
We have a water leak under our kitchen island sink and we have no idea where it’s coming from. There is periodically a puddle by the island and we have put towels around the pipes and within an hour they are soaked. Obviously water travels down but for the life of us we cannot see what’s leaking. Ugh. Anybody else have this issue?

2019 3791
Had exactly the same model and exactly the same problem. It seemed intermittent. My nephew finally was able to crawl under the sink and find the leak. The supply lines were barely dripping for the faucet, running down the pex and pooling under the island. It wasn't visible inside the cabinet. It was running out under the cabinet onto the floor.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #26
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
we are having same issue... still have not pinned down the source. All fittings have been checked for tightness.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:28 AM   #27
Gypearce
Established Member

M.O.C. #25095
Perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
we are having same issue... still have not pinned down the source. All fittings have been checked for tightness.
Went and tightened the hot water fitting on the pex and so far no leak. (crossed fingers emoji)
Old 12-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #28
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
First time we noticed the leak we did tighten that fitting... but it kept coming back after a period of time for apparently inexplicable reasons. That fitting appeared tight, but we finally determined that after about 30 minutes after a shower it would start leaking. NO other conditions could reproduce the leak. Conclusion water heater causes higher water pressure in the rig system as it heats the water and that fitting is the place where the expanding water gets out. Or at least that is my theory and I'm sticking to it. I shut off the water, drained the lines and then disconnected the hot water pex from the faucet line, added teflon tape to it and tightened back... no leaks. Mystery solved. Water not leaking out anywhere else either so the rest of the water system appears intact.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:38 AM   #29
Gypearce
Established Member

M.O.C. #25095
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
First time we noticed the leak we did tighten that fitting... but it kept coming back after a period of time for apparently inexplicable reasons. That fitting appeared tight, but we finally determined that after about 30 minutes after a shower it would start leaking. NO other conditions could reproduce the leak. Conclusion water heater causes higher water pressure in the rig system as it heats the water and that fitting is the place where the expanding water gets out. Or at least that is my theory and I'm sticking to it. I shut off the water, drained the lines and then disconnected the hot water pex from the faucet line, added teflon tape to it and tightened back... no leaks. Mystery solved. Water not leaking out anywhere else either so the rest of the water system appears intact.
Thanks for your reply. I tightened the fitting and it seems to be holding without leaking. If it starts again I will try Teflon tape. I think your explanation of the leak is a good one since I have noticed water leaking from the release valve on my hot water heater on a number of occasions but that was outside the rig. There is pressure there when the water heats up. We will cross fingers and wait an see if it happens again. Thanks for adding good info to this puzzle.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #30
dirtguy

M.O.C. #27818
mine did same thing!
dirtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #31
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Mine was the Ice maker line which originates under the sink. The tubing was only 1/2 through the compression ferrule. So tightening would not help. cut tubing replaced with new ferrule and no leaks since.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #32
Lewynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #28266
We are having the same issue with ours but we don't have an island..what's weird is that we keep the water turned off when we are not using it and when my husband turns it on, we get a towel full of leak, but cannot see where it's coming from! Once I remove the wet towel and and put a dry towel and brown paper (for quick checking) we don't get another drop! I feel like ripping all the stuff out and put in new. My husband thought it may be due to the regulator going bad, but we replaced it's still doing the same thing. 😣
Old 08-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #33
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Had water leaks under the kitchen sink in the FIL's TT. Installed new cone washers and tightened the fittings, and no more leaks. If the cone washers were cocked a little, they might not ever seal properly, and the only reason Teflon tape seems to work is because it is lubricating the threaded nut, allowing it to be tightened a bit more. The threaded nut does not provide the water seal, just the cone washer. Get a package of new cone washers and you can replace most of the ones in a rig. These are what will work and can be had on Amazon. Flair-It 16435 Plastic Santoprene Swivel Seal, 0.5" Size
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote