Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2023, 07:38 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Step above mod

We currently have the Morryde step above stairs. They are the older version without the lift assist. As we get older we are having more difficulty lifting the steps.
I contacted Morryde regarding a conversion kit for our model and they do offer one. I sent the what info I could to see if they could accommodate me. Has anyone installed this kit and if so how difficult was it? They sent me a PDF file showing a new installation but not conversion. The one thing we have to eliminate is the latching system.
Thx

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 08:02 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Have a look at Glowsteps.

https://youtu.be/akt0H2bLkrU

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=82272
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 02:54 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
C214dick - I traded out my Morryde Step Above with a Lippert unit because we like the wide top step on the Lippert. The step unit is sitting in my barn. I was going to send the thing to the recycle yard but Darryles suggested I lean it up against a wall and use it to stack plants - which is what I plan to do.

Edit: What year and model do you have?
Edit 2: FYI…the glow step unit and the Lippert step cost about the same.
If this lift assist will work for you, and if shipping is $50 to $75 - it will be a bargain.

However - the lift assist makes it difficult to lean against a wall. I went out and looked at it and took pics. The lift assit portion includes the whole threshold and some lift pistons on the latch side of the door. It is held on by 6 rivets. It would be easy enough for me to drill the rivets out and take it off to see if it will fold up in such a manner to fit in a box for shipping.

I would be glad to send it to you - but there are some "if's"...
1. Check the top of your step for the six holes shown in the sketch below (locations approximate). You can see the rivets in the 2nd and 3rd pics below…3 on each side.
2. Would you attach the thing using rivets or bolts and nuts? Verify that the bolts and nuts method will not interfere with anything.
3. Will the thing fold up to a shape that will fit in a box? I will take it off and measure. I just received a big bag of dog food from Amazon yesterday. I mght be able to cut and tape that box to work.
4. I have no idea how much shipping would be - but you pay for the shipping.
5. Hope you are not in a hurry...The nearest UPS office is 17 miles to town and I don't get down there very often.
6. If you buy the glow step - I will probably take this thing off and put it my neighbors metal recycle pile (he is a welder and he is always willing to haul my stuff to the metal recycler).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step above assist 3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	15034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step above assist 1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	15035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step above assist 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	15036   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-07-22_15-32-51.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	15037  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 02:08 PM   #4
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
We retro fitted ours with the lift assist I was 68 when I did it after 5 shoulder surgeries 71 now 6 times best thing we did plus added handrail to steps.
Old 07-23-2023, 03:03 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I went ahead and took the lift assist off my stair to prep it for being a Morryde lean-to plant stand (photos to follow when temps cool off into the 90s).

I am just waiting for C214dick to tell me he wants it. I think my dog food delivery box will work to ship it in. I will have to go hunt for some bubble wrap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6175.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	15045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6176.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	15046  
Old 07-24-2023, 08:29 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Still waiting to hear back from Morryde. Thx for the offers. Will let you know if I want your assist take off. Thx.
Old 07-24-2023, 02:14 PM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The stringers on my step unit are 27" outside face to outside face.
You will have to completely remove your steps and set them aside.
You will drill out the rivets that hold your hinge to the stringers.
The lock on the back simply un-bolts. You will not need it anymore with the lift kit.
Your steps will look like the pics below...front view and rear view.
The lift kit fits the stringers at the top and will be attached with short 1/4" rivets...maybe 1/8" I.D. Even if your stringers are not pre-drilled - it will be easy to drill the holes once you set my lift kit on the stringers.
It will take 8 rivets...4 on each stringer. I don't think you can use nuts and bolts because there is no way to get your fingers up inside the stringer.
The step closure-riser plate for the top step needs 2 rivets to attach to the assist lift sill plate.
Once you have the lift kit attached to the step unit - you lift the assembled unit into place.
The sill plate screws to the floor and there are jamb plates that screw to the door jambs on each side of the door opening. You may have to cut out some of your wood door casing trim for the jamb plates.
I have a baggie full of screws + the cover plates for both jambs.
You will need to dust off my spider webs.
That is it. There are lots of youtube videos to look and learn.

Not sure what additional info Morryde will provide. They probably want to sell you a new lift kit.
If your stringers are 27" out to out - this will fit your stair.

Edit: in the bottom pic you can see a couple of "stop tabs" bolted onto the back side. These fit against the door jamb when you lift the stair up and prevent the stair from going too far into the coach, which would bend the sill hinge. If you need these tabs I can send those also.

Second edit: to anyone else reading this thread - if C214dick does not want this lift kit - it is up for grabs for free. All you need to do is pay the shipping. It is not going back into my garage. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Morryde steps 1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	15058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Morryde steps 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	15059  
Old 07-25-2023, 02:49 PM   #8
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thx Mike for all your efforts. Louise and I are going to wait while we check out some other options. If anyone else wants your assist kit, than let them have it. Thx again
Old 07-25-2023, 03:54 PM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
No problem. Thanks.

Edit: I will leave these pieces on my little work bench for another couple of weeks and then they will go to the great recycler in the sky...so anybody that is interested let me know.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:29 PM   #10
RichardMor
Established Member

M.O.C. #33110
Mike, any interest in selling the steps? My wife and I just bought a 2014 375FLF and it has only 3 steps. Your’s appears to have FOUR steps. Temporarily, I’ve had to put a cement block below our last step because the drop is so large. We have no plans go move this rig, so I’ve thought of fabbing up some wooden stairs. We are located just NW of Lampasas and go to Austin often as our son lives there.
Thanks!
Rich
RichardMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 04:21 AM   #11
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Yes - click on my user name (left side of the post) then click on SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE. I will give you my cell phone number. Is this your floor plan?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1615.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	15116