Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
Montana_802

M.O.C. #802
Replace sofa with recliners

We have a 28ft 2004 Montana I was wanting to remove the sofa and put to recliners in its place it is on the slide so Iam not sure about the extra weight (if any) has anyone seen this done Thanks

Montana_802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't know why you couldn't do it. No one likes the hide-a-bed sofas anyway. If it were me, I might get the weight and weight differences and check with Keystone about the viability. Sounds like a great option for anyone who does not forsee accomodating overnight guests.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
We've swapped the location of the sofa with the recliners. The recliners are in the slide and the sofa is at the end. No problem. There has been a previous post about folks doing this and I never saw any problems about it.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kathy, I remember some MOC member(s) posting they have done just that but I can't remember who it was. In any case, the weight is not enough to hurt anything in the slide. Our living room slide goes down the road with hideabed, lazyboy, dining table, and numerous other things riding in it just fine. When the slide is out it has the hideabed, lazyboy, end table with magazines and lots of junk on it, a floor lamp, and three computer cases along with some other odds and ends. Plus, we have the area under the couch full of items since we use that storage space. I don't think you'll have a problem with two recliners in the slide. None at all.

By the way, your 2850 probably registers as a 28 footer but the specs from Montana say actual length is 30' 1". Just in case you need to know that sometime.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathy Schilperoort

We have a 28ft 2004 Montana I was wanting to remove the sofa and put to recliners in its place it is on the slide so Iam not sure about the extra weight (if any) has anyone seen this done Thanks
We changed ours before signing the final papers. Now the TV is across from us when sitting in our recliners. We have a queen size hide a bed and you are able to open it up with no problems. As far as the extra weight on the slide, we just have our company sit on the couch, especially if they weigh more than we do. We replaced the hide a bed mattress with a a better mattress.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:41 AM   #6
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
Kathy - We have a 2850 like yours and immediately replaced the hide-a-bed with two recliners and a narrow table lamp between them. No problems with weight although it does crowd the dining table and chairs a bit. If you haven't got the chairs yet try to find the narrowest you can without sacrificing comfort. Good luck.
Hank
Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
Coro from Maryland
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #455
Hi Kathy

We have a 2003 2880 28ft Montana. We ordered it without the sofa and put two LaziBoy's in its place on the side slide. The dining table (on the same slide) gets a little close, but works great.
We have not needed to anchor them in any way. They are pretty well trapped when the slide is in. They have to be moved foward about two inches every time we open up, to let me streatch back without hitting the wall (even though they are listed as wall huggers), but otherwise there is no problem.
I would do it again on our next unit (many years from now).
Coro from Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Sounds like recliners are the answer. Where did you get the new mattress for the hideabed?
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #9
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Reading old posts...
We have two La-Z-Boys where the sofa used to be. They are wallhuggers also, and the narrowest we could find.

We went one step further though: Glenn built a chest to fit perfectly behind the two recliners and small table in between them. The height is such that the recliners move over the chest when you put them back, thus eliminating the need for moving the chairs forward to do so.

We used thin plywood; the bottom is open -- both to save weight. I then bought bathroom carpeting which matches our carpet perfectly and covered the whole thing, sides and hinged top! The (now soft) top makes a terrific sleeping place for the cat; the "trunk" holds all kinds of "stuff", and most people never even know it's there, it blends in so well! Btw: when covering the plywood, the bathroom carpet can be pieced as needed, and glued on with carpet tape.

Karin
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:38 AM   #10
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We have thought about switching the sofa with the recliners or just removing the sofa and replacing with 2 new recliners.
The first problem is the sofa would cover part of the rear window.
As for removing the sofa there would be no place fo the grandkids to sleep. Witch would not make Joy Happy.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 06:49 AM   #11
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Syplace:
use the search function of the forum and search for "replacement hide-a-bed information" for info on where to order a mattress. It has been very successful in our RV for several months now.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 01:50 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We took out our one recliner and it will probably stay out. Put it in our basement of stick house. We are for sure going to replace the sofa with two recliners with end table or either a sofa with two recliners built in. The recliner that came with our 3295 was always in the way and it was heavy to move every time we put the slide in. Not a very comfortable recliner either. Good idea about the storage box covered with carpet, behind the recliners.I will have to tell Don about this!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote