Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2005, 07:40 AM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
tonneau covers

Has any tried or figured out to put a tonneau cover on their truck bed to renain in place while the 5er is being towed, I know it would have to have a hole in it for the hitch pin and a slit so it opens when hooking up, but what about wear while towing. Is this a crazy idea?

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
nope, not crazy at all. I currantly have a pro-hauler body, so I don't need one, but my previous one was a pace edwards jack rabbit cover. it's a roll up hard cover...very very nice unit, but pricey. I spent aprox. $600.00 a few yrs. ago, but loved it. my hitch even fit underneath it when the 5ver wasn't connected....out of site, out of mind.

I've seen other covers that are soft covers designed especially for 5vrs. they already have a square piece cut out for your hitch.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
We have a folding cover that is in 4 sections. When towing, 3 of the 4 stack up on the front one completely out of the way of the hitch.
When not towing, the cover folded out protects the hitch. I really like it because my Draw Tite 16K is 3 years old and has just about 0 rust.
Check this site, http://www.fold-a-cover.com/
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
DLNK went to fold a cover site looks great..Requested more info and nearest dealer to me...Question..Will the hitch ON rails fit under the fold a cover..and I am getting a draw tite 16k hitch ..how do you like the hitch.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I haven't tried it, but I remember seeing a soft tonneau cover that had a removeable section over the hitch so that it can be put in place while towing. I can't remember where i saw it, but I couldn't find it on a Google web search, so it must not have been popular.

Personally, I don't like Tonneau covers. I think they get in the way.

Fred

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RADHAZJOE

Has any tried or figured out to put a tonneau cover on their truck bed to renain in place while the 5er is being towed, I know it would have to have a hole in it for the hitch pin and a slit so it opens when hooking up, but what about wear while towing. Is this a crazy idea?
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don'tike the soft covers myself But the hard cover that DLNK spoke of looks interesting..
Old 03-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Like DNLK, I use a Fold a Cover on our TV. It sure is nice to be able to cover the bed and hide the hitch when not in use. My hitch fits nicely under the cover. Love it....
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:23 AM   #8
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
RICHFAA, yes my hitch sits on the universal rails in the bed, and I also have a slider. If the hitch is set to it's highest position, I had to level the hitch head to keep it from rubbing the underneath side of the cover. Now I have the hitch set down 1 hole and there is no clearance problem. I like the hitch fine. Like most, there is a tiny bit of slop around the king pin when latched, but not excessive. I also painted the back edge of the jaws white so it's a lot easier to verify proper lock-up when hooking up.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:51 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks DLNK. They set me the location of the nearest dealer it is not all that far away @ 45 Mins. Can I ask you what the Cover cost..Just so I will have a reference...Or do you know what they cost Now..have been unable to find a price on the net...yet...
Old 03-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
DLNK I need more information..Turns out there is a fold a cover dealer here in my home town looked at one today.I do NOT have the fifth wheel hitch in the truck yet because we will be pulling our TT this camping season (ran out of Money after the Truck) I am going to get the 16K draw tite hitch same as you..It will be on the universal rails,I had the perma tech spray in liner put in the bed in adds @ 1/4 inch to the floor. I would assume by your post that the handle on the hitch is not a problem and it fits under the cover Ok...I need to be absolutly sure that the cover will fit because I would like to get it on the truck now so we can keep our STUFF dry/.We have a long bed do not need the slider hitch. I know that you said it fit Ok just wnat to make sure I give you all the information. I know what it cost..a lot less than I expected.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #11
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
Hello richfaa,
You can find this product on the web. Here is one site: http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...foldacover.htm
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:50 AM   #12
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I went w/a Tonneaumaster soft cover on my '04 250 SD long bed. It rolls up against the cab when we're hauling. Hitch fits under the cover nicely when we're not, if I switch the release handle 180 degrees. Cover has built in reinforcing metal rods, velcros alomg side rails, has latches in the back, and when the tailgate is locked the latches are inaccessible. Cover looks sharp, keeps our stuff dry when not towing, and was a snap to install.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:48 PM   #13
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
RICHFAA, Sorry I'm so long in getting back to you, we were at the lake with the Montana this weekend.
The stock handle on the hitch will work if you turn it 180 degrees, however I removed the stock handle and made a short "T" handle. I just didn't like the look of the long crooked handle. I've made about 6 or 8 of the "T" handles for all the guys at work. My rails sit on a Line X spray in liner that adds about a 1/4 inch. If you'd like, I'll try and get a few digital pic to e mail to you. The cover was on the '01 Silverado when I bought it used, so I don't know how much. I see from your profile you're retired FAA. I've been working on or around airplanes for close to 35 years, and hold 2 FAA designations, DME and DAR.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:30 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That would be great DLNK..sent you my home E mail..I will get the cover and when I see what your "T" handle looks like will make one...Son -In-Law owns a machine shop.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:42 AM   #15
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have a roll up cover on our truck. I put a couple of extra holes in the track so we can pull the cover so it is just ahead of the hitch. When unhooked we pull it the rest of the way out to the gate.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:53 AM   #16
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
RICHFAA, Never got you e-mail address. I'll get some photos this weekend and send if you still want them.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:38 PM   #17
chopstyx57
Established Member

M.O.C. #736
check out the Pace-Edwards Bedlocker. Its an electric retractable hard cover. It is truly awesome and easy to install, no drilling involved. Mine also came with an electric tailgate lock that works with my power door locks. Also got a tailgate gasket so I have a lockable trunk so to speak when i am unhooked from the Monte. They are pricey but well worth it. http://www.pace-edwards.com
chopstyx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:08 AM   #18
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
As to shortening the hitch lock lever handle, You can also just cut the stock handle off after the first bend and drill holes in it to insert cotter pin. Saves making a new T handle.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:46 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am going to get the Fold-a-cover on my Long bed F-350. I will be using the 16K draw tite hitch. The info I got here was helpful I also saw a set up with the fold-a-cover and the 16K draw tite. It will fit under the cover .Mine may fit without any modification however if need be I will turn the handle 180 as suggested in this thread.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:36 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
DLNK you can also try e mail at r8421r@yahoo.com