Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2005, 06:14 AM   #1
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Travel Trailer Hitch Precaution

Most of you travel trailer owners probably already know this but I think it needs to be said again. Let me explain. When towing each time I stop for fuel I do a TT and truck check over (tires, chains, lug nuts, etc.). One thing that I didn’t check every time was the hitch itself. Last night we were out shopping and upon returning to the truck I kicked the trailer hitch. What I found was very alarming. The ball and the two bolts holding the part of the hitch with the ball were loose. The what concerned me was the hitch ball. I had just disconnected the trailer and not once did I know that the ball was as loose as it was. I have since tightened it along with the other bolts. I have also added that to my walk around check. I carry the wrench in my truck toolbox and will check the hitch ball nut every time I stop for fuel when towing. I am certain that if the ball becomes the slightest bit loose that it would not take too hard a jolt to snap the threaded stud on the bottom of the ball.

So all you TT owners if you are not already doing it you need to start checking the hitch ball not just the hitch itself. My neighbor told me last night, “Oh yeah you should check the ball every time you stop” but you know that was the first time it sank in that I really need to do it.

Happy towing,
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida

Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good advise, Jeff., not only for TTs, but also for fivers. Saw a brand new Ford truck with the telltale crunch of a man who drove out of his unsecured fiver hitch.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I always double check the pin that I keep in the lock.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
A little "Loc-Tite" (I think it's called) on the threads will help also.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:32 AM   #5
RVBUDDY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1109
GREAT POST!!!
RVBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jeff, do you have a Mountaineer TT? Reason I ask -- we went to Beaufort today and on the way back were near Hilton Head so decided to swing through the rv park and see if we could find you folks. We were thinking Montana fiver and found four of those but none with Florida plates. We did see a Mountaineer travel trailer but didn't check that. Did we mess up? We also saw another Montana coming into Hilton Head, coming off the bridge, as we were leaving the island. We flashed lights but they were in traffic and didn't see us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:22 AM   #7
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Steve,
What color truck do you drive? We were in the Mountaineer TT. We did see a red Ford in the park but it was pulling a Montana behind it. We were going to contact you but our son's baseball games kept us pretty busy the whole weekend. We pulled out on Sunday morning to return home. I counted 4 Montana's in the park and you know my wife and I knocked on 2 Friday night but no one was home at either and we just gave up. I have to tell you that is one nice park and we only paid $32 a night. I have paid a whole lot more at KOA for a whole lot less. What a nice place. We will be going back there for sure.

FYI. Anyone headed that way, on 278 going into Hilton Head there is a new Wal Mart super center on the left heading towards Hilton Head. Its real new and only about 9 miles from I95. There is another Wal MArt closer to Hilton Head however, it's not a Super Center and it has a very tight parking lot.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jeff, we drive a white over tan Ford (see profile). We saw that red Ford with Montana coming over the bridge entering the island as we were leaving the area. We were driving around the rv park just before that. For some reason I thought you'd be in a Montana. My fault. We saw the four Montanas but none had Florida plates. We also saw the Mountaineer TT that must have been you but skipped checking the plate because of my false impression you were in a Montana. Sorry we missed you. Maybe next time around.

How did your son do in the tournament?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote