Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Safety switch for slide out rooms installed.

Well I installed a neat little toggle switch right above my slide out pump motor. It is very easy and inexpensive. The electric motor for the hydraulic pump has two light 16 guage wires that have those little spade slide on connectors that attach near the motor. All the other wiring is very heavy #6 wire and you don't touch that. By pulling the little spade connectors off one at a time I found out that one wire is for the out position and one wire is for the in position. All you have to do is break the circuit on each line. You could do this with a single pole switch on each line but I was able to find a single toggle switch that will open the circuit on both lines . I bolted a small piece of aluminum
angle to the metal frame up over the motor and mounted the little toggle up there. Then I cut the two lines and connected the two lines to the toggle switch. In the on position my slide button insde the door works to open or close the slides. When I am set up and I don't want anyone to press the slide button in the trailer by accident, I flip the toggle to off inside the front compartment. It works great.

I have the 2955RL with only the bedroom and living room slide and I do not have the hydraulic valves to control the slides independently.
I don't think I will ever need them, if I do I can put them on myself as I repair hydraulic equipement as part of my trade as a millwright.

I did not want to use the trailer without being able to isolate that front door switch which is just too easy a spot for accidental or curious misuse. The bedroom slide goes first so even if someone just held the switch for a bit, the bed slide could move in enough to break the seal. You don't notice, you go to bed, it rains and you wake up with a wet bed. Who needs it. For 12 dollars and 90 min. work I don't have to worry anymore.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote