Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Screen Names

I am troubled by something I had recently found out in our group here. Maybe it is none of my business and most probably will not understand why it even makes a difference to me. I am a seven and a half year veteran of the Army. While I did not see combat I certainly was ready for what was necessary. I have paid well for my rights and yours; to be able to call myself a free man is important. The first and second amendments are more important than most realize.
So what is my point? We have a member that has had to change their screen name because it was deemed “ offensive”. I know the original name and thought it a bit odd, there was nothing vulgar or profane about it. But some were bothered by it. Quite simply It is not my place to judge others, sometimes I get big for my britches but I have never claimed that spot, to be able to judge others. We live in what is supposed to be a free country, be able to reasonably express ourselves. It is not for me to tell you or anyone what they can say or not say so long as it is not profane or vulgar. A member of this group chose a screen name for a reason I do not know, as I said I thought a bit odd but a name they chose for themselves and someone found it somehow offensive, rather than that person politely being told that is a name of their choice and please respect that. But no, our member was pressured to changing their name. I do not know why that name was chosen, I might have asked. And then maybe I would have understood what was behind the name. What is important is that we all respect each other, you do not have to like my name or anyone else’s. That is the beauty and downside to freedom at the same time. If I choose a name or a way to live, you do not like what color I paint my house, so long as it is not profane or vulgar. It is none of your business in a free society. I certainly do not like everything people do around me but I know what my business is and where it stops.
So I ask, of those bothered by this screen name……did anyone ask why? To try to understand?
I and many others have paid for our rights and freedoms, please respect that! I ask nothing more in return.
This coming in on the heels of Independence Day, Have we forgotten why we became the United States of America and not just a state of England?
Happy Fourth of July to everyone. Please be safe, and respect our neighbors.

PS: I know this will confuse many of you. But those involved know what it is about.

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rick
I don't know who you are talking about but I do agree with everything you say. The wonderful part of our freedom in the USA is that we can believe different things. I know the gun issue comes up once in a while and occasionally we have politics mentioned. Perception is often wrong. I have had people, when they see my Parrothead license plate holder, think I am a pot head because there is a perception that all of Jimmy Buffett's fans are potheads. Nothing could be further from the truth. Hopefully we can all be more tolerant.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Thanks Parrothead. Did not know what kind of response I would get, not that it would have made a difference with me. A little tolerance can go a long way for all.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I do remember that post and the before and after screen name.They chose the screen name for themself and so what.I was not aware that someone from within the group was offended I mean the person was not refering to anyone but themself. I thought that parrothead maybe walked around with a parrot on her head and that might be kind of weird but not offensive.My wife walks around with a parrot on her shoulder I am not offended??? We all share a common interest, Rving and Montana's, thats enough. My screen name is richfaa the FAA stands for Federal Aviation Administration. I was a Federal Employee for 40 years and 7 months..if that offends anyone then .... Good post trukdoc
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:43 AM   #5
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
A Parrothead I can accept, but a Parrot on the shoulder hmmmmmmmmmmm I just do not know.
Thanks for the reply Richfaa, and your right, our common link here is RV'ing and the friendship from a common interest.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:53 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Rick, I too served in the Army for over 5 years and like you I was not in any combat but I stood ready if need be.

The cituation here is more commonly referred to as censorship. I am not familiar with the particular censorship you are referring to but I know from personal experience it does happen on this forum. I have been censored at least twice since I joined back in 03. Both times I was notified thru email that I was being censored as I had offended someone. Neither time was I told the names of those who claimed to be offended.

Censorship is everywhere you go on the internet not just on the MOC forum. I was even censored at RV.net for trying to start an arguement. Have you ever been on RV.net and there wasn't an arguement?

Is it right?? H#** NO!!! But I also know that complaining falls on deaf ears.

BTW-It is all together possible that this reply or the entire post will be censored or deleted.

ps-I censored my own H#** NO!!!. The word that starts with "H" and rhymes with Bell would have been more effective but I didn't want to be censored.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I concur with Glenn. I made a recommendation some time ago based on a conversation I had with someone not familiar with the forum and having trouble navigating the site to find specific information. I was emailed that my post was unacceptable and it was removed.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:06 AM   #8
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I don't know what screen name truckdoc is referring to and I'm not sure it makes any difference. In the 8 months or so that I've been on this website, I have gotten a great respect for all the folks who use it. I feel like I know many of you very well. Most folks here go out of their way to make it clear that they wish to offend no one with their comments. We foster a free exchange of ideas and sometimes that means hearing things that you might not agree with, but that doesn't mean that those ideas still can't be stated with respect for others. I'm proud to say that I'm a participant on this site, because the folks here are quality people. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the word "tolerance", I prefer "acceptance". We can accept other folks for who they are, and that doesn't mean we have to agree with them. Thanks for letting me share this with you all.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:20 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Lately, I have been thinking about changing from my real name (which is my personal preference for all instead of monikers) to a "screen name". I thought I might use something like "Polka dot Trash". What do ya'll think.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:07 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Sounds good to me, but watch out for any Polka Dots that might be reading the forum! It's interesting how much the world has changed. In trying to be "politically correct", it seems we have become more intolerant. I'm part Polish (yes, it's true), and I remember hearing a lot of Polish jokes when I was growing up. I guess I must be weird because it never occurred to me to be offended.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:54 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, you have a great natural name! And at least you don't have to put in your profile how to pronounce it like I do! Mine is not pronounced as it is spelled and is probably pronounced incorrectly since it is of German origin. Unless terms like "The Third Reich" should really be pronounced "The Third Reek".
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #12
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I also don't know what screen name this was. I can't think of any I've seen here that gave me so much as a "twinge". While I agree that profane or vulgar names (and conversation) should be avoided, it seems to me that there is a subset in our society that is too easily upset by various things. Tolerance works both ways...

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote