Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
new ford

We are going to get our new 05 Ford 3500 Saturday. Trading in our 02 2500 Ram. Hate giving up the Cummins!!

I like the payload capacity of the Ford and with a 50 gallon fuel tank in the bed of the Dodge, I was uneasy about the load when hitched to the 2955. The crew cab is nice and I think the Ford has a bit more HP. Wish Dodge was coming out with a payload to rival but is a moot point now for us.

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I moved from a Dodge to a Ford. I don't think you will be sorry.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
They're all good trucks but I think your decision to purchase the new Ford is a really good one. Numbers don't always tell the story. Real world performance is what is important. They all do a really good job and we're fortunate to have lots of good choices. That said, I think you are going to be grinning ear to ear when you start towing with that new Ford. It has to be experienced to be understood. Good luck. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.

Besides a very strong engine, you'll love the TorqShift automatic. The actual towing reviews I've read say it's very strong and is smarter at knowing when to shift, up and down, in tow/haul than anything else out there. And smoother. That's not to say the others are not good, they are very good. I'm just telling you what I've read. I even use the tow/haul when solo on mountain roads. I use the grade braking downhill and also use the tow/haul uphill. When recently ascending a grade of about 15 miles, partway up I put it in tow/haul and watched tranny temperature (auxillary gauge) drop 30 degrees in a few minutes. That makes it worth using solo, to me.

One addition to the new Fords that you don't hear much about is the driver's side glovebox. I know that's a small, maybe inconsequential item, but I sure have grown to like having it there within easy reach of the driver. And you'll really like that new integrated brake controller. Tell us more about your new truck.

By the way, you'll have to get used to saying "F350" rather than "3500!"
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also just got a 05 F-350 it is a fine truck. Did not get the diesel because Helen did not want one..(they are smelly and noisy) I do drive a diesel everyday and understand that they need to be run on a steady basis.We do about 6,000 miles a year on our TV and even if we doubled that it would not do a diesel justice. We were also concerned about the environmental changes mandated for the 07 Model year//cleaner motors and cleaner Diesel fuel. We are going to do a wait and see on that one. I don't think the changes will result in lower prices for the motor or fuel. You can be sure that in the next couple of years that every time a diesel passes us on a steep grade. I will point and say..see..that is why we should have got the diesel????? Maybe I can wear her down...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:38 AM   #5
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Illapah,
Good luck with the new truck. Hate to see a Dodge man go but hey 2 months ago I was a Chevy man and now I own a Dodge. Like my dad use to tell me all the time "you got to do whatcha got to do". Have fun and good luck with the new toy.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:01 AM   #6
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
TV's are a matter of personal choice that why they build different kinds. But as always you have to "run what you brung". Each has their high points and low points. I wish that my Ford would turn as tightly as my brother-in-laws Dodge. He wishes his Dodge had the pulling power of my Ford. Maybe somebody will build a Fordodge someday.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would like to see the"built Ford Tough" truck with the Dodge Cummings diesel motor and the Chevy Allison xmittion. That would be a FODOGM.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ya know, if the Japanese eventually eat into the big truck market the way they have the car market, we may just see a merger some day!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Oddly enough, Ford owns Cummings. The exclusive contracts with Dodge, prior to Ford buying it, keeps Ford from using the Cummins. I think it is a hoot to know that Ford gets a piece of every Dodge that's sold. The asians are already in the market. The Chevy Duramax is built by Isusu.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
and I will bet that Ford exe's are beating their heads against the wall because they can't use the Cummins.I am curious to see what the big three will do in the diesel department for 2007 when they must meet the New Federal standards.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #11
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I heard from someome that works at one of the ford plants that the 2007 fords will come with a cummins inplace of the powerstroke, and dodge is going to use a mercedes diesel, just have to wait and see what happens.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:09 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Glass guy..Interesting that you heard that.We are in Ford Country here in Northern Ohio and a retired Ford Exe friend of mine said the same thing about the Cummins motor in the 07's.Then another Retired Ford line worker said..won't make any difference..Ford fouled up the international diesel they will do the same to the Cummins... We shall see.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #13
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I was at my ford dealer last week and they had a 2005 Ford 650 with a cummins diesel engine in it for sale on the lot.
I also read that Ford and GM were going together to develope a new transmission which both would use.
Won,t be long you will be able to get that TV in the sky everyone wants a Ford truck with a GM trany and Cummins diesel.
Willie Nelson says it will run on soybean fuel.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Boy I hope that works out.One of the reasons I did NOt get a Ford diesel in 05 was all the talk from the Ford folks around here about what may happen in 07.Starting to sound like I may have done the right thing..
Old 05-21-2005, 01:27 PM   #15
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I have wondered for a long time where the rumor "Ford owns Cummins" got started. I've heard it almost from the time I started driving a truck in 1956. Ford has more control over Navistar (International) than they do Cummins. The following site will take you to Cummins "FAQ" site and you can get a lot of info from it. And Steve Reigle, I read some place the other day where an automotive analyst said more people buy Fords and Chevy/GM's 'cause they can't afford Dodges!!! http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.j...=4&index=0#Q27
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:42 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That made me smile, Bob. However, aren't the Dodges priced lower than the Fords and GM's? Nice to have lots of good alternatives, isn't it?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:28 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That rumor has been around for years.It is like a urban legend. It won't go away. Maybe it will when FOrd puts a Cummins diesel in their trucks in 07...
Old 05-23-2005, 01:24 AM   #18
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Up until the time Freightliner (Mercedes) bought Ford's Louisville truck plant and renamed it "Sterling", you could get Caterpillar and Series 60 Detroits in Fords also. The site posted below also gives a little info on the Ford/Navistar marriage. http://media.ford.com/print_doc.cfm?article_id=7325
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:19 PM   #19
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
We have a little '95 F800 truck with a 5.9 liter Cummins at work. The engine will outlast the body by far. Cummins makes a great engine. I will be curious to see if the Mercedes diesel does come out in pickups. Mercedes also has a lot of experience making diesels for compacts, pickups, OTR trucks. I think they would be a good product too. Not sure on cost comparisons though. Anyway, I am still satisfied with my old Dodge and it pulls fine, gets decent milage and yup,, I can wake up the campground. lol.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote