Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Where to install CB radio

I have just purchased a CB to have installed in my truck. I have the Silverado Crew Cab LT with bucket seats and the center console. I was thinking about mounting the radio in the cubby space infront of the cup holders but have decided that it would make the speaker sound muffled being in there. If anyone has this type of truck and could tell me where they mounted the CB I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 01:48 AM   #2
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi I don't know how much you will use the cb but if you pull the cup holder black thing out, you will find a compartment under it. I keep my 350watt inverter in there. I don't use it much but when I do I just pop the holder out and plug it in. There are some clips that hold it down tight. I cut them off with a knife to make removable easier. There are all kinds of wires there to tap into for power. I was looking for a key controlled tap point the had heavy enough wire to run a transfere pump. Spent over a hour in cab and never did find one. From experience I know I'll walk away and leave it on if I don't key controll it. If anyone finds such a point I could use the info. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 05:31 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use a Garmin hand held CB..4 w output..It works very well and does not clutter up the cab. It also has the Weather channel. If you do not have a CB yet look at www.garmin.com.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
richfaa-

I checked and didn't see the CB. What model is it?
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
oops I lied..My scanner is a Garman.. the hand held CB is a Uniden pro 350Xl. It is 3 or 4 years old and may be out of production..I DO NOT see any hand helds on the Uniden site right now. You may still want to research a GOOD hand held instead of a full size CB. They work just as good and do not take up the space.. The better ones will have a outside antenna option. We just keep ours so that the antenna has a clear view of the windshied and we are good... We also have a Garman bearcat scanner..Trunk tracker 300 channel.you can tune in to the police/fire/ect channels..they are in general the same througout the country. You can't have too much information....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
Get a CB coul mount that has a speeker built in and sets on the trans hump then go thru the floorbord rubber groumlets and mount your antanna to the center of your truck bed on the rail below the rear window this does not interfer with the turnning of the trailer
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well after seven hours of work, I finally got the cb installed. I mounted it in the larger of the two pockets on the center console under the a/c controls. Took the pocket out and used a black piece of trim and cut the trim piece to fit the cb. Slide into place mounted the trim panel and now the cb is flush mounted with the console. At nigth if I unscrew the hand mic and put in the glove box or somewhere out of sight, the cb is pretty much looks just like another ac control. Looks really good, almost like factory installed. The 3ft antenna was mounted in the front driver side bed post and I am pretty sure should not be in the way of the truck and coach while turning. My hope is that the Superglide will move the kingpin back far enough that the antenna wont have to be taken down for any reason. Thanks to all for their input, it is much appreciated.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote