Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2004, 10:57 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
BEEP.....BEEP.....

Lookout Willey Coyote here comes Road Runner.

Moved into our new campground this AM. Seeing as we are going to be here for six months I sprung for TV Cable. While the tech was activating the line we got to talking about Road Runner. Seems they have a special deal for the next 6 months SIX Months?? That's all I need is six months and it is just $29.95 a month.
At present we are using the Verizon 555 AirCard with unlimited access but at a cost of $80.50 a month. Somedays the card is fast and some days, like now, it's as slow as a dial up.
Anyway I started doing the math...
AirCard $80.50 but if I cancel the contract it costs me a penalty of $150.00 and in 6 months I have nothing.
BUT if I revert to the 20 meg limited plan the card costs me $40.00 a month and in 6 months I can revert back to unlimited.

$40.00 for the limited card
$29.95 for Road Runner
$69.95 Total

This is great, I get the speed of Road Runner for 6 months and I SAVE $10.00+ a month to boot.
Sometimes things just workout!

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's great, Glenn! We had RR in our stick home. You will enjoy it! We're on wi-fi until after Christmas. It's very similar in speed to RR. It will be really sad to go back to dialup or cell connections after this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:17 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I know what you mean. We had Road Runner a few years ago in northern NY and had to give it up when we bought our last stick house. We went back to dial up and what a pain that was. When we went fulltime we got the AirCard and have used it ever since. Some days it is fast but quite often it is nearly as slow as a 28.8 dial up. Tonight is a great example of slow. Right now it is really slow but tomorrow that will all change.

We are also looking at new laptops and any new puter in this RV will also have Wi-Fi capability. Already had an HP from Staples but for whatever reason they couldn't get the AirCard to work. We returned it and decided to try to find a computer store where they knew what they were doing. When we do get one I will be looking at you for all the Techy Wi-Fi stuff you got.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65
Glen: We are coming to Florida in
Jan. for three months. We will be staying in Frog Creek CG in Palmetto. What is the name of the provider, maybe I can get the same deal. I currently have Road Runner And it's the only way to go.

I would like to come to Tampa rv show in Jan. , maybe we can see you there. How far are you from Palmetto?

Al Jolley.
aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:41 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It's Bright House. I am pretty sure they also cover Palmetto.

Palmetto is about 30 miles away. It is just across one of my favorite bridges, The Sunshine Skyway. If you ain't been across it you are really missing a spectacular ride.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65
Glenn: Yes I have been across it during a very baaaad storm, thought we were going to be blown over the side.
aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #7
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Glenn & Lorraine,
Glad you are settled in for the next few months. I just posted a note under "Who, Where, and When" - Crystal River, FL.
We have chosen a spot for the new few months here at Encore Super Park. Think we are less than an hour from you. We hope to make it to the Tampa show. Any special day the MOC members are going to meet at the show as they did last year? We move into Encore tomorrow from Rock Crusher (also here in Crystal River). Will have to make contact and get together for dinner one night. Right now I am on a free WiFi connection at this park, but will also have internet access when we get moved tomorrow (either WiFi or modem). Love this WiFi, so nice to sit here in the Montana with no phone line necessary for internet connection. However this speed and easy access is going to spoil me when I have to go back to using the modem. LOL Catch ya later...
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:31 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Hi Joyce,
OK another brain I can pick when I get my Wi-Fi 'puter.
We have friends in Crystal River who we do plan on visiting one day this winter. Maybe we can make the trip up there and could kill two birds with one stone. It's about 70 miles using route 19 but route 19 can be a 70 mile long parking lot somedays.
Looks like Friday maybe the best day for a get together at the RV Show.
We did Rock Crusher last spring. It is one of the nicest parks we have stayed in.
Here's a couple pics...Pic 1 Pic 2

If you do get down this way let me know.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:28 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, it's interesting that Pic 1 comes up but Pic 2 gets a message about remote linking forbidden and they don't support it. Both pictures are on the same site. I tried both two or three times. Strange.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:19 AM   #10
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
beep, beep, beep, here comes another new road runner! Just love cost efficiency, don't you?

Soooooo, what type of lap top have you been lookin' at? That's my next project soon as I get this updated wireless telephone stuff taken care of. Someone suggested I take a look at a Dell laptop priced under $800. Would like "something" before we snowbird -- can't imagine being away from this forum for weeks and weeks and weeks!!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:48 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vickster

beep, beep, beep, here comes another new road runner! Just love cost efficiency, don't you?

Soooooo, what type of lap top have you been lookin' at? That's my next project soon as I get this updated wireless telephone stuff taken care of. Someone suggested I take a look at a Dell laptop priced under $800. Would like "something" before we snowbird -- can't imagine being away from this forum for weeks and weeks and weeks!!
No one particular brand. So far we looked at HP and Compac. We had a Compac custom built for us (put in what we wanted, left out all other junk) but when we got it home we found it would not supprot the AirCard. Took it back for a refund. Ain't it funny how the computer techy will blame the other guys programing and the other guys techy will blame the computer. NO ONE ever wants to admit they screwed up. Compac blamed AirCard, AirCard blamed Compac and the poor guy we bought it from took all my SH$& and got nothing in return.
Anyway, now that we have moved and are settled in we restart the 'puter search tomorrow.

can't imagine being away from this forum for weeks and weeks and weeks!!
We did just that for 3 months this past summer, I was not a happy camper. The only access I had was for a few minutes once or twice a week for 3 LLOOONNNGGG months.

Steve, Both links worked for me but than again it may have recognize my 'puter. Anyway if you want to see more of Rock Crusher Canyon click here and than scroll down.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:05 PM   #12
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks guys for the wonderful Posts. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:55 PM   #13
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Hey Glenn: Took a look at "Yankee Traveler RV Park" on here and looks like a pretty nice place to stay with some really reasonable monthly rates. They have a great web site which is easy to view all their amenities. We were considering coming to FL sometime in Feb or March, but haven't made a firm decision as of yet.
Now for the "high tech" stuff....I've just purchased an HP laptop and so far very pleased with it, however, I know very little about Air Cards or Wi-Fi, whatever that means....can you help me out with some explanations. I presently have AOL with dial-up at home and know the only way I can use it while camping is with a phone hook-up at a site.
Any guidance is appreciated.
Thanks, Marshall
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote