Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Warranty repairs

We dropped "Hanna" off at CW of Northern Michigan on November 18th (a Sunday). They called me Monday morning bright and early-they already had it inside assessing our list of 14 mostly small items to be addressed. All issues were submitted to Keystone for approval-the only thing we're still waiting on is the rear hitch. Keystone wanted to know what type of bike carrier we had on it (it twisted and sagged on our U.P. trip this summer). I gave them the model # of the "RV" approved carrier right from the CW website so they could see the carrier. I was pleasantly surprised by their approach to a roof issue. They are going to lift the roof membrane to correct an underlayment issue. I thought I'd have to fight to have that fixed correctly instead of patched over. I'm confident we will be 100% satisfied. Missy and Mellissa have been exceptional in their customer service skills. While our sales experience was a bit rocky, the service has been most excellent.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Hope it all works out for you!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Good to hear! We had nothing but good experience with our warranty repairs a couple of which were done by CW in Albuquerque.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Sounds like good news!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
When we were still under the Keystone warranty, they were great. We had to have our roof replaced, and as I've said before, once we connected with the right person at Keystone, all was good.

Glad you had a good experience.
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
BethandKevin wrote:
Quote:
quote:
All issues were submitted to Keystone for approval-the only thing we're still waiting on is the rear hitch. Keystone wanted to know what type of bike carrier we had on it (it twisted and sagged on our U.P. trip this summer). I gave them the model # of the "RV" approved carrier right from the CW website so they could see the carrier.
We purchased two bikes and a bike rack while in Yuma last winter, when I mounted the rack and the bikes it was just plain scary the amount of movement the hitch had. I relieved some of the movement by using bungie cords to the ladder to get us home. Once home I took the hitch off and added another 1½” square tube across the length and tied the original and the added tube together with approximately 2” pieces. There is only so much room to separate the add on from the original.

I wonder what solution Keystone will come up with. I have no worries now about putting the two bikes on, my modification reduced the movement to a point I feel comfortable that the thing won’t come apart.

Of course not everyone has a wire feed welder in their shop, but I would think any welding shop would do this for a reasonable fee if you took the hitch into them.

Link to mod: http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/z.../BikeRack1.jpg

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Thanks for your input Ed. I am waiting to see what Keystone says. My intent whatever their answer is to reinforce it in much the same you have your. When I put the bikes on, I had a friend of mine follow me. He said the amount of movement was really scary.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
You can actually move the hitch by hand. Just put your weight on it. I took my rig up to a welder to reinforce it with 1-1/2" angle iron the whole length. Now it is pretty solid. I can add more if necessary behind it.

That hitch had a sticker on it with a weight limit of 150 lbs. The hitch and two bikes is getting close to that.

Poor design, I guess that is why they left it off the new models.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #9
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Just got off the phone with CW of Northern Michigan. All repairs have been completed and Hannah is ready to come home. Keystone refused to do anything about the bike rack hitch-shame on them. However, CW stepped up and reinforced the hitch so that we can use our bike carrier-applause to CW. As there has been a great deal of snow in northern Michigan, they are putting her inside to melt off so we can inspect her repairs at pick up-again, applause to CW. I will be paying special attention to the roof repair, that was a very big concern of mine. They have said that was the repair they spent the most time on to assure a proper repair.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:56 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Good to hear. Hope you are happy with all they did.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BethandKevin

Just got off the phone with CW of Northern Michigan. All repairs have been completed and Hannah is ready to come home. Keystone refused to do anything about the bike rack hitch-shame on them. However, CW stepped up and reinforced the hitch so that we can use our bike carrier-applause to CW. As there has been a great deal of snow in northern Michigan, they are putting her inside to melt off so we can inspect her repairs at pick up-again, applause to CW. I will be paying special attention to the roof repair, that was a very big concern of mine. They have said that was the repair they spent the most time on to assure a proper repair.
Is this the CW at Houghton Lake? I have only worked with them on small items but they have done a great job also, if we are talking the same CW which I think we are. We stay near Alpena during the summers and they are the closest CW to us.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
UPDATE:
Hannah is back home-all repairs were completed to our complete satisfaction. The back hitch was beefed up as well as I would have done myself. I paid for the materials as Keystone would not step up on this one. The roof issue in particular was a surprise, instead of more staples, the tech screwed the round-over down and re-applied the rubber membrane. The tech even fixed a small boo-boo on an inside wall near a slide at no charge! Also no charge for winterizing as they had to work on the water system! CW of Northern Michigan, Melissa and the tech(dang sometimer's) all score a perfect 10 for service in my book. Keystone maybe a 7.5. For the money we pay for these rigs and what it took to fix my hitch proper, Keystone needs to make us 100% satisfied when we have a problem. If anyone has a problem and needs help when in the area, please patronize this fine service department.