Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Closet panel split due to pin box movement

I've searched about every way I can imagine. I recall reading trheads about the front closet right side panel cracking or splitting at the bottom. We have this issue on our 2013 3402RL. It is being addressed, but so far I don't have a definitive answer other than the panel is too tight.Is it just me or does that explanation sound a bit hokey? The pin box has nearly an inch of movement I would describe as a twist motion front to rear, up and down. I have a video of the movement. I'll try to post the link.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmm movement that much just don't sound right.... Most likely the split in the closet is cause by that same movement. I think I would request the dealer drop the cover under the bedroom around the pin box and inspect the frame. I know there have been some issues with frame flexing so hopefully some of those folks will speak up and give you some idea what is happening. Here's one thread I found http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...=flexing,frame
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
There seems to be more and more flex problems,If frame was built heavy enough there would be no issues.This is one place not to cut corners and save a few bucks. Hope it all works out for you.
bjlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Wow Kevin I would be very concerned at that amount of movement at the pin box. Is this movie taken when you put the wight on and off the pin box?

Check the bed slide side of your unit, just below the front of the slide is a short vertical strip of trim, with the weight on the jacks draw a straight line across the trim piece extending on both sides of the trim into the white part of the decal. Put the weight on the pin and see if the alignment of the line is still parallel, this is the method used by Keystone to check that side of the unit. Oh by the way this is a "expansion" joint.

There is also a document on the Lippert website that tells you how to check the actual frame itself. I won't explain that here.

It just makes my blood boil when this problem continues to plague Montana owners.

It does sound like you may have some major problem beyond what some of us have, depending on the pin box video.

Do the easy check I suggested and then for sure have a dealer perform their test as well. Sorry to hear you have now joined the club, good luck.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Call Keystone Customer Service, send them the video and have them make an appointment for you with a dealer. You need that checked out by a dealer that knows what to look for.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Kevin and Beth--- There are quite a few threads on the frame flex problem. It's good you have some video and maybe by sending that to Keystone/Montana Division you can show them your problem. The webmaster here on MOC has not posted a new section on the main page that you can contact Keystone directly with questions and problems. I don't remember the name of it but it has just been posted.

Question-- Have you checked to see if the joints of the skin on the front are moving also? The caulking at the joints where the front cap and the main unit join will be cracked or loose also. Check the joints before hooking the unit up and then check them again once you have placed the Monte on the hitch and put the weight of the unit on the TV to see if there is any separation/movement. There is always some movement in the hitch and front cap but if it is excessive it will crack the caulking and seals at the joints. Some have had the inside paneling in the closet crack, split or buckle also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There is a current current thread on the latest variation of flexing (actually wall separation). Mazboy started the discussion because of a problem with August 2012 built 3400's. It turns out the problem is more widespread than that. Have you looked at the stress relief strip on the street-side above the propane locker. That is the usual indicator of excessive movement. The cabinet wall needs to be replaced with stronger material *AFTER* the movement problem is addressed. You need to take the RV to a dealer and have them contact Keystone/Montana

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=51417

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would contact Keystone first before going to the dealer. They will tell you to go to the dealer, but if Keystone is already aware of the problem and who's going to look at it things will go smoother if you have to contact Keystone to get things moving after the dealer has it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I have talked to Keystone. They have viewed the video footage-while on the phone with me in fact. I have been assured that the issue will be resolved to my satisfaction. They did say that as much as 1" of deflection of the pin box is considered normal. The closet panel is not yet off. More will be determined upon inspection of the area behind the panel. To be clear, there is no problem back at the propane door area, no cracks in the caulk or separation. My concern is the amount of deflection in the pin box. 1" seems a lot. I'm not looking for anything more than assurance that this is a normal condition, if that is so. I'm confidant that this will be resolved. My mechanical background works against me in situations like this where I'm not the one with eyes on the cause and hands on the fix.
I do remember now the thread that mazboy started. I believe he is describing two different points of concern, the upper deck of the frame at the propane door area and the pin box area, which is my current issue.
Whatever the outcome, you can be sure I'll post it.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I posted a topic about my pin box a while back it was basicall like yours the wall seperating on the pasinger side due to the pin box mounting in the frame being ripped and seperation occuring. this caused the front drawers to drop and not align properly. the sliding mirror dropped 3/4 of an inch causing misalignment and gaps at the jam side. all this was caused by my truck and trailer becoming air borne due to bad highways in California. after close to 15 K in repairs thanks to my insurance co it was resolved.
on edit::::::::

Pictures to study.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...5/IMG_3139.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...5/IMG_3141.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...5/IMG_3140.jpg

Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Had the same problem with our closet. Not flex. Shoddy construction, everything was stapled in, with some staples not even making connected, and framing not square. With a few wood screws, problem was solved with no repeat. Hopefully yours is just as simple a fix as ours was.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #12
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
as my email said, call me,saturday,before we go into mexico tomorrow....we'll talk about our new 3400 and our newer 3402.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
jimkottke
Established Member

M.O.C. #4164
Tow years ago while down in Texas my 2005 bigsky was resting on my side rails of my truck. That was real flex frame!! After three weeks of calling Keystone a welder came out and cut out and replace the steel rails that were welded to the pin box.The steel rails had ripped and were pulling away from the pin box. Good luck.
jimkottke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Our 2010 347THT popped the closet wall out and split it. I measured 5/8" vertical movement of the pin box at the point where it's attached to the 5er when the weight was put on the hitch. It's pretty amazing how much that 5/8" means inside the closet! Keystone said the flex was normal and that they would cover the wall fix. Wall was replaced/repaired in 2011. They did pull the bottom off the front to inspect the frame when the repair was done and said everything there was ok.

Since then, been to Alaska (flex to the max) and Florida. The repaired wall popped the staples again. Not as bad this time, but obviously they didn't take enough off the bottom of the wall when repairing. I decided not to go through the hassle of seeking another warranty repair. One of these days I'll trim a bit off the bottom and re-staple the wall myself - or not. It's not noticeable unless I look for it inside the closet.

Especially after seeing some of the pics above, I think providing the space at the bottom of the closet wall to allow the flex is preferable to a rigid fix that may transfer the movement to the ceiling. I say that because originally Keystone said the fix was to install a plywood panel behind the thin paneling.
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote