Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2004, 01:31 AM   #1
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Chip won't work

I took my truck to the dealer last week to check out what felt like a engine miss at slow speeds. A friend told me to take my chip out before I put it in the shop. They took four days trying to find the problem. They replaced several censors and reprogramed the computer. (did not help much) But now that I have it back I put my chip back in and it won't work. Could the new truck program make my chip worthless?

jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:21 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
If you removed your special chip before the reflash then your special chip should not be affected so you can just put it back in. Of course you don't have the advantage of the reflash.

Thats what I like about my superchips programmer. You don't have to replace the chip. Just re-program it. If I have to take it to Ford I can just put Fords program back in. The programmer also gives about 250 diagnostic codes for troubleshooting. So if they fixed it the codes should be clear. If your coming to the rally we can check your codes with my programmer.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:38 AM   #3
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
When I put my superchip back in the truck will not even start. I need to check on a programmer it sounds like. I thought it looked to comlicated for me to figure out.

Wish I could come to the rally but I have to work. Too many payments to make. I hope someone can posts some pictures afterward.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:04 AM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Guess you will have to stay with your stock chip then.

I am sure pictures will be available. Plan on taking a few myself.

Sorry about your chip problem. The only thing I can suggest is make sure the contacts are clean with no bent pins. Sometimes a pin will turn in under the chip and not make contact.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:16 AM   #5
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have a 99 Dodge 350 diesel. We bought a BD chip and had it installed. Worked great went on a 15,000 mile cross country trip. It seemed like I never got out of 6th. gear. Mileage got better more power etc. A year later took the truck to Cumins for some work (non warranty) removed the chip before taking the truck in. They upgraded the program in the computer fixed my problem and when I got home reinstalled the chip. We left for Alaska and started having fuel problems. Acted like it was out of fuel. Changed filters several times no help. Got home took it to Dodge store (warranty work) asked them to check fuel pump. It was bad. They replaced it (warranty). Back went the chip. Out went the pump. Twice. Now I have a$600. chip on the shelf. The reprogramming brought my truck up to "chip performance" and adding the chip doubled it. Burning out the transfer pump. So be careful about chips. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:48 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I'd contact the chip mfg and have the chip checked out. Give them the software update #'s (if available) and see if they can help.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:25 PM   #7
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I do not know what type of chip you have, but on my Ford Diesel the codes all had to be matched with the Banks Chip. It could be that the reflash made a code change. The Programmer types do have a definite advantage. Sorry, but this does not help your problem.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote